• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Will you buy Google TV?

When Google TV launches, will you buy it?

• Yes, I will buy an actual Sony Google TV for myself

Votes: 16 9.8%
  • Yes, I will buy an actual Sony Google TV as a gift

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, I will buy a Google TV box to plug into my existing TV

Votes: 90 54.9%
  • Yes, I will buy a Google TV box as a gift, to plug into existing TV

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I will probably buy it but will play wait and see

Votes: 37 22.6%
  • No, I will not buy it

Votes: 8 4.9%
  • I am Steve Jobs.

Votes: 13 7.9%

• Total voters
a box seems a wiser idea than a tv. this way, you can move it around. Plus, if TV dies, you still have the box or vice versa. I think better to keep them separate as much as I like the Sony tv's. Plus, the Sony TV specs lack faster 120hrz refresh rate and use lower 60hrz and that is a deal killer for me as I need faster 120hrx to reduce the motion blur from action movies. As well, the Sony tv's use Edge Lit LED versus array LED. so, I think the box will be the better way.

and yeah, I likely will buy one. I LOVE the idea of surfing the web from the couch and being able to have a PIP with tv running and the web. Often, we will watch TV and want to find out about something and have to pull out the phone. being able to do it on the TV is just a nice convenience, but I will wait until I can get for less than $300.

Upvote 0
Bought a Sony Bluray google tv box, but then returned it for the Logitech Revue. I think the Revue was much better at syncing my AV receiver which is a 20 year old mini component system and my DVR box. So far I love this box and can't wait for upgrades in the future.

The main thing I'd like to be able to do is to be able to move the dual view screen so I can see some parts of the web page that are covered up by the tv.

Upvote 0
I bought the Sony BluRay version yesterday. I love it so far even though I think it is a little over-priced. Also, I have dish network and my ViP612 doesn't do the full integration thing. I called dish and they said i would have to get into a 24 month contract or buy the new receiver. I went through the whole I didn't buy this receiver and i just want to replace the one i have spiel but it didn't work. I think i am going to cancel them anyway for dropping FX and NatGeo. Uverse is coming to my area. Hopefully it will integrate at some point.

Sorry for going so OT.

Upvote 0
Pastor,

Why didn't you get the revue for 179? I called Dish and they are giving me a free upgrade to the compatible DVR...

I have been considering returning the Sony for the Revue because of the price difference but I would have to buy the smaller controller right away and that makes it almost the same price as the Sony anyway, I think. My wife wouldn't accept a near full size keyboard as her new TV remote nearly as well as she did the Sony remote. Plus i have had tons of Logitech Harmony remotes and they all do what they are suppose to and then some but the build quality was always horrible.

As far as dish goes, they offered me a "free" upgrade too but they were going to put me in a two year contract. :eek: The thought of a two year contract with anybody makes me want to poke my eyes out. I already have that kind of relationship with Sprint and it is killing me inside. ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones