• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Will you get Nexus One on release day?

Well, we'll see what release day is- I hope the lawsuit will not affect the N1's release date. And how sucky would it be if Apple wins and Android 3.0 removes features.

The more I think about it, the more I wonder if I should just hop on the N1 movement and damn the incredible and iphone.

lol it won't affect the release date. I'm not a JD or anything, but if it goes to court, it will take around 4 or 5 years. A little less if they settle, but they still have to cut the fat and separate the legit from the inane claims.

Upvote 0
No, not anymore. The multi touch issue originating from inferior hardware... that's a big problem.

Thought they still havent narrowed it down between hardware and software. I understand the sensor is different than on the Droid, but most sites posting that problem havent confirmed it as hardware. I'd also imagine VZW would fix that before launch? Hopefully?

Upvote 0
I will get one and if I'm unhappy, return it. I see no need for others to decide for me.
And eat a $45 restocking fee?
Thought they still havent narrowed it down between hardware and software. I understand the sensor is different than on the Droid, but most sites posting that problem havent confirmed it as hardware. I'd also imagine VZW would fix that before launch? Hopefully?
This is what I posted in another forum:
I was planning to get the Nexus One when it launches on the Verizon Network, however there are hardware issues that need to be addressed before it should be allowed to be released on another carrier. These are serious issues which should have been addressed and fixed before the Nexus One even launched on the T-Mobile Network.

Screen is prone to cracks - We've heard of this issue many times, the Nexus One's screen is prone to cracking from drops as little as 3 feet from the ground and spontaneous cracking from being in user's pants pockets. Google's response to customers is to contact HTC and HTC's response is for the users to not put the Nexus One in their pockets. Did I read that right? That sounds ridiculous. - Nexus One Shouldn’t Go In Your Pocket | Android Phone Fans

Screen is prone to dust getting under it - This seems to be a common issue as well. Many users have reported that dust has been getting under the screen. It has occurred so often, in fact, that many Android forums have written up an FAQ on replacing their units for this problem alone. - Tip Get your handset replaced because of dust under screen - Nexus One Forum - Google Phone Forum

Multi-touch sensor is faulty - This is a somewhat new issue in which the multi-touch sensor does not correctly recognize two inputs from two different fingers. It suffers issues such as axis-flipping irregular dual touch recognition. Google has admitted that the multi-touch sensor is "different" (which I assume means inferior) than that of the Motorola Droid or the iPhone, "Sorry I [Dianne Hackborn, Android framework engineer] meant exactly what I said: this is how the touch screen hardware on the Nexus One works (which is essentially the same screen as on the G1 and myTouch). The Droid has a sensor from a different manufacturer, with different behavior. Other phones will likewise have different sensors." This may not seem like an issue with some, but it is very unacceptable for Google's "super phone." (a termed coined by Google, supposedly the next-level of smart phones.) - Is multitouch broken on the Nexus One? Sort of… – Android and Me

If there are anymore widespread hardware issues, please post it here with a source showing the severity of the issue. Thanks.

Upvote 0
And eat a $45 restocking fee?

Well better than spending two years with a phone prone to cracked screens, dust, and possibly worse problems.

All the problems you listed are serious, but the most serious one has been the issue of 3G reception. I don't know if that has been fixed or what. Verizon=reception and the Nexus One should continue with this.

Yesterday, it took me 40+ minutes before I could get a data signal on my AT&T iPhone. Another 5 minutes of trying to get a call from the gf before I went outside with the smokers to get a nice, crackly sound from AT&T. Today? It took a few minutes of no signal before, strangely enough I could make a phone call with clear reception in my apt. God must have been smiling down on the AT&T cell towers today.

I'm just waiting with my money in hand. If the Nexus One screen gets filled with dust before cracking into a thousand pieces, or if I get AT&T like coverage on it, I'm going Droid. Problem solved. I've decided I'll give HTC a chance.

Hopefully the rumor is true that this will be sold in-store.

Upvote 0
For starters, the Incredible is set to boast a 3.5 to 3.7-inch WVGA capacitive display, which could also be AMOLED. Then it will get a Snapdragon processor with 256MB RAM, a 5 megapixel camera with dual-LED flash, and will run on the Android 2.1 OS with Sense UI.

That's from BGR on the specs of the Incredible. How is it going to be different from the N1?

Nope, I'll be in line day #1 of the N1 VZW launch.

Upvote 0
Apparently various Verizon employees have been spouting this. One of the managers I asked told me it would be in stores as well. We don't know the truth until it is released on the Verizon Network.

It's a rumor that spread over the weekend from BGR- just google verizon nexus one and you'll see the articles.

Anyways, that would make a big difference- everybody has their own opinion about the phone- the phone is too top heavy to comfortably hold, the screen sucks compared to a 3GS, blah, blah, blah- it would be very helpful to try the phone out so that people can make their own opinions about the phone.

Maybe that's why they decided to sell it online first- a beta roll-out, and then roll it out for real on Verizon.

I wonder if Verizon will offer an unsubsidized phone with a discounted rate plan... highly unlikely, but we'll see I guess.

Upvote 0
That's from BGR on the specs of the Incredible. How is it going to be different from the N1?

Going by the back of the Incredible it looks like it has Dual LED Flash on the camera vs the N1's single LED flash and given the trend of HTC phones having a bit more RAM for Sense I think it will have 576RAM like the Desire, instead of the N1's 512.

Upvote 0

Bright red back, different shape, and half the RAM.

It's a rumor that spread over the weekend from BGR- just google verizon nexus one and you'll see the articles.

Anyways, that would make a big difference- everybody has their own opinion about the phone- the phone is too top heavy to comfortably hold, the screen sucks compared to a 3GS, blah, blah, blah- it would be very helpful to try the phone out so that people can make their own opinions about the phone.

Maybe that's why they decided to sell it online first- a beta roll-out, and then roll it out for real on Verizon.

I wonder if Verizon will offer an unsubsidized phone with a discounted rate plan... highly unlikely, but we'll see I guess.
Well many of Android Forum's members have been reporting hearing similar things from their VZN rep. And yeah, a discounted plan is highly unlikely... it is Verizon after all.

Upvote 0
i'm waiting for some news on incredible. i've been waiting for n1 for so long now, that i think i would just get the n1 when it comes out. but i know the incredible is right around the corner so i would like to wait and compare the two. decisions decision..but i do hope 3/23 is THE date. or at least i just want to hear from vzw a set date for both phones.

Upvote 0
...All the problems you listed are serious, but the most serious one has been the issue of 3G reception. I don't know if that has been fixed or what. Verizon=reception and the Nexus One should continue with this...

Meh...that could also depend on which phone you have. I returned (2) Droids for reception issues, in the DC/Baltimore corridor (coverage map for Maryland?)...and I live less than 2 miles from 2 different VZ stores, but had problems all over town. I even made an antenna mod:

http://androidforums.com/motorola-d...rough-3g-1x-switching.html?highlight=homemade

...which confirmed the issue was on the hardware side.

As far as HTC, I was looking at the TP2 for AT&T, but just picking it up off the cradle in the AT&T store, I saw a 50% signal drop, in two different stores. My Motorola Q, also on AT&T, lives on full bars, throughout the northeast. Co-workers with the iPhone, in the same area, report problems.

If signal issues are being reported for the N1, it could very well be an HTC thing.

For another comparison, I'm currently on T-Mobile, with an N900...much better reception all over town than the Droid on VZ (3G vs. CDMA) however in certain buildings, I get little or no reception. Again, never an issue on AT&T with the Moto Q.

Upvote 0
^colnago

AT&T blows, they are the worst, so that's a non-issue. The droid works well at work (several co-workers have it), and it seems to work fairly well at home (tried it out at home). But I'm holding out for the next great Android Verizon phone.

My biggest concern is that the whole N1 was just another public beta test and that Google/HTC will drop it and focus on the N2. Since HTC makes the N1 and nobody is buying it (even Google has pegged sales at only 1mil in 2010), it makes more sense for HTC to focus on the supersonic and incredible because those will probably sell a million in a few months.

Hopefully I'm wrong and the Verizon version will be fixed and ready to rock and roll this month.

Or the Incredible comes out.

Upvote 0
I hate to admit that AT&T is not the worst anymore. They did invest in their network and it is not nearly the joke that it was (and that Sprint still is.)

Reception has been very phone dependant for me. I had an anciend Kyocery SE40 and I could not get a signal in my own house (same with the LGVX1) yet my husband had the same slider and got enough to make a call. I got pretty good reception on my EnV Touch and the Dare. My Droid isn't too bad, but there are some places it keeps dropping to 1x (the metro tunnel from the beginning by Ballston to right outside of Farragut West.)

Upvote 0
Enough of this AT&T nonsense...
Back to the N1 :D

Who's gonna buy it unsubsidized? I'm thinking subsidized. I'm not leaving Verizon.

I have a hypothetical question that maybe some of you can help me out on.
Let's say I buy the N1 subsidized. A year from now, Verizon scraps the unlimited $30 data plans and introduces tiered pricing for data (possible, since Verizon has stated that unlimited data is coming to an end). The contract is now null and void. Does this mean I can upgrade to the latest and greatest handset at that time at the subsidized prices? Or do I go full price on the next phone?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones