• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Windows 8 WiFi connection keeps going limited

Is this happening on a 2.4Ghz network or 5Ghz? If lunatic59's suggestion of a static IP doesn't help and you have both 2.4 & 5Ghz available, try splitting them by giving them different SSIDs. 2.4Ghz should be more reliable because it penetrates walls better and carries farther but 5Ghz is usually faster. If you use 5Ghz set it to use a channel well over 100. For either frequency set the router to use channels with a minimum of interference. I use WiFi Overview 360 to find the optimum setup. An excellent tool.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.android.wifioverviewpro

Last edited:
Reactions: lunatic59
Upvote 0
It is a 2.4ghz network. I have the most up to date drivers I can find. This happened on my last 3 networks. My current network is just a simple cellular modem with wifi from VZW. It happens at the library on all three of their wifi networks.

With the cellular modem there is very little customization available, I've not found how to set a static IP. However it happens when my laptop is the only thing connected.

Thanks for the ideas. Still trying to figure this out.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones