• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Windows Media Player

That is my experience. Was wondering if someone was using a downloaded media app to play these.

The way I use this, it really is not a big problem with the current setup. But I would prefer the option to work in other apps while having the stream play.

I figure Wunder Radio, or someone will have an Android app soon, and this is an acceptable short term solution for sure.

Upvote 0
Yes, a good Dev really needs to sort this out. I would use my Droid more than I already do if I could listen to Fox Sports Radio (I can DL the podcasts, but it's just not the same)...I wonder if it's some sort of licensing issue with M$. I don't think so though, because I believe VLC Media Player will stream MMS on PC...
If you haven't found it already....Clear Channel has a free app called "iheartradio" (just released to the public.....found by searching the Market app on your Droid....it is still somewhat in beta testing) you can then listen to their radio station/program format streams. When I choose "Local Stations"....Fox Sports Radio is listed and sounds great! FREE is good!

Upvote 0
Been waiting for an asx (windows media) streaming app to play some Irish radio stations I listen to - and up til now - none did. Until now that is - market search 'droid cumulus'. Finally!

or scan and go -
cumulusQRcode.png

I have nothing to do with this software - other than a happy new user.

Upvote 0
The easier solution is Moodio FM. Moodio FM does not provide any content. All they do is simply convert internet radio streams to formats that are suitable for mobile phones.
On your desktop computer, go to Welcome to Moodio! | Moodio Set up a free account. Search for the station you want to listen to. Most popular stations are already on there. If you find your station, save it as a favorite. If you don't find your station, and you know the station's stream url, Find "add a new station" from the main Moodio page to enter the stream url. The instructions on how to find a stream url are also on that page. http://www.moodio.fm/new_station
So, once you have all your favorite stations saved to My Stations, you go to the Moodio FM mobile site on your phone. m.moodio.fm
Log in with the info from the moodio fm account you just created and you'll see your My Stations list. Note, you cannot add favorites to My Stations from the mobile site, so make sure to do it on your desktop.
Click the link for one of your stations and you should be playing the station in a few moments. For me the stream comes over the native Android Video player, which is odd, but hey it works. If it's not working for you, you might need to download the free version of either StreamFurious or DroidLive from Android Market to make it work, but it will work.
Good Luck

Thanks for this tip! I just got it working on my new Evo. I like how this works, its really cool. Now I can listen to my favorite non-Clear station while I work out at night.

I like that it is a non-app solution and doesn't clutter up the device with another un-needed application. My only issues are that it keeps the screen on the entire time (wasting battery -- when you turn off the screen using the power button it stops the stream too), and you cannot multi-task away from the page/stream, any time you try to navigate away it stops the stream.

Any other new or different solutions out there to share?

--Edit--
Does anyone know if any other android web browsers (SkyFire? Dolphin? etc.) would let me navigate away from the yourmuze web-page/video player or put the screen to sleep somehow?

Upvote 0
Try This one out

Media Player (trial) - BluMedialab.com | no nonsense mobile app development

The player that plays more media on your Android phone than other apps: from your SD Card or streaming from web.

SD card: WMA, MP3, MP4, M4V, (small!) WMV, MID
Streaming: WMV, M4V, MP4 (also non-progeressive!)
Has a built-in SDcard browser, video RSS reader and webbrowser with Google search.

Upvote 0
I too am looking to listen to asx audio streams. A friend i work with wrote an iPhone app for our radio network (as we stream audio in asx format) that allows users to listen to an asx stream and (i don't understand all he meant) there is code inside the app that converts (maybe not the best word) the asx to mp3 and then the audio works with the iPhone. This was his simple explanation. I asked about his creating an Android app but now that the OS changed for the iPhone he has to redo the app for iPhone first then work on the Android app. The app is not for general use on all streams just an app for our listeners to use on their iPhone so they can listen to our streams. Anyway, if you are a developer and would like to contact Mario about what he did for iPhone (maybe the code is similar??) just let me know.

Upvote 0
I just found TuneIn Radio on the App market and it plays the .asx audio streams i was looking for. Actually, i don't know if it allows my DX to play those streams or the app "converts" the .asx stream so the DX can play it. Anyway, TuneIn works with Radio Time and you can look at Radio Time's website to see the station listings. And if you register with Radio Time you can set Presets so your favorite stations are saved for you.

if a station that streams audio is not listed there is a place for you to request them to add that station

Upvote 0
hi there just registered to the forums and would like to ask for a favour.
I have a Iphone 4 and am considering ditching it in favour of a HTC/Android need to make my mind between desire and the new desire z...
Anyway, the only reason I got the Iphone is because it was the only phone I could listen to Jovem Pan Online - Ao vivo - RealOne Player it says real player but it is WMP...
Could anyone give it a try and see if it works on a android phone please. That's all I'm waiting to get my first Android...:D
tx in advance for any help.

Upvote 0
I don't have a solution for a native app. Wish there was one. Orb works but its a pain to either keep your computer on or set up Wake on LAN on your router.
The easier solution is Moodio FM. Moodio FM does not provide any content. All they do is simply convert internet radio streams to formats that are suitable for mobile phones.
On your desktop computer, go to Welcome to Moodio! | Moodio Set up a free account. Search for the station you want to listen to. Most popular stations are already on there. If you find your station, save it as a favorite. If you don't find your station, and you know the station's stream url, Find "add a new station" from the main Moodio page to enter the stream url. The instructions on how to find a stream url are also on that page. http://www.moodio.fm/new_station
So, once you have all your favorite stations saved to My Stations, you go to the Moodio FM mobile site on your phone. m.moodio.fm
Log in with the info from the moodio fm account you just created and you'll see your My Stations list. Note, you cannot add favorites to My Stations from the mobile site, so make sure to do it on your desktop.
Click the link for one of your stations and you should be playing the station in a few moments. For me the stream comes over the native Android Video player, which is odd, but hey it works. If it's not working for you, you might need to download the free version of either StreamFurious or DroidLive from Android Market to make it work, but it will work.
Good Luck

THANKS!!! This worked perfectly. It played all my obscure stations that didn't work for other streaming players. FYI mooodio.FM is now http://www.yourmuze.fm/new_station the moodio url will be redirected to yourmuze.

I also found these streaming apps for android that:
Winamp 0.9.2 beta (for Android 2.2)
winamp9-qr.jpg

Subsonic
Subsonic

Upvote 0
I am looking for a music video player app for DRoidX. I have many music videos that I play on Itouch without any problem - can play randomly, sequentially etc. I am looking for a similar player app for DroidX.

I have looked at doubletwist but it is not a player. I have to click on each music video that i want played.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones