• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Windows won't recognize Sophix USB drivers

satrugha

Lurker
Jul 9, 2012
I just got the Sophix tablet from gamestop, model TAB-840_g from Digix media. The tablet is beautiful, highly sensitive, and runs amazingly well. I plug it into my computer and it mounts as a drive so seamlessly.

The problem? I need to get it to recognize the device as an android device so I can program with it (pretty much the same process if I want to root it). There are instructions over here Download - Support but I can't get them to work.

I'll briefly repeat them here.

1. download the update tool and extract it
2. go to windows' device manager and update the driver. point it at the folder where the driver is supposed to be. (there's a folder for each version of windows's drivers)
3. let windows do its magic and recognize the device.

That last step isn't working. No magic to be had. Windows continually claims that it cannot find a proper driver in my folder. I've spoken to support but they're not being particularly helpful. They're trying, but it's not really getting anywhere.

I know the Sophix is newish, but has anyone run into this problem before and fixed it? I'd really like to develop games on this tablet.

I'm running the following systems:
Windows 7 x64
Windows XP x86

Thanks!

Hello Satrugha.

You may only need to change a few compatibility settings to get the drivers understood by Windows (good that you have both 7 64 bit and XP 32 bit ;)).

First go to the Windows Compatibility Center and enter some info:

Windows Compatibility Center: Find Updates, Drivers, & Downloads for Windows 8, Windows RT and Windows 7

..just to find out if there is hope. :D

It should come up positive unless it's a pretty obscure (as in "Chinese") device driver.

If not.. and I've seen this once in a while, I would experiment with drivers for other models and even brands that might have cross-compatibility. It takes some time, but can end up being the remedy. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones