• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Wipe device after too many failed logins

imperial07

Dec 16, 2010
I know this sounds like an odd question, most people dont want to wipe their device, however this is a work thing so ....

I have a Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus here and was wondering if there is a way to set the device up so that after too many failed login attempts the device wipes itself?

Thanks

Looks like you may be right about the apps support. Their appears to be a few apps that check your SMS messages for a specific format and then issue a wipe command to your device. There are also products that allow you to wipe your device through thier website, for instance if you lost your device. Why not passcode protect your phone and then grab one of these apps that let you remotely wipe your device? If you lose your device, just remotly wipe it.

All the wipe command needs to work is some app (web app is fine) calling the google C2DM server with the wipe command for your device. Once your device is online, it receives the wipe command and wipes...

Upvote 0
I have to pass that by the bosses. The reason for the specifics is we have other devices (iphones/pads, android phones, and blackberries) that we have that have the requirement that after so many bad password the device wipes itself. It was a policy put in place by our security team. We might be able to get around it with these devices, but not sure.

I was looking at the android SDK and it looks like they have a value set to do exactly what I am looking for, but no one seems to leverage it. If I get enough time I might just look in to building something myself.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones