• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Wireless Tether

irishdroid

Oct 28, 2009
Has anyone got the Wireless Tether app working on their rooted Desire yet?
Not working for me- connection is establishing between phone and computer but no data is being transferred. According to the google code page for the app there's a problem with Desire compatibility.

I'd use the wired USB internet sharing feature in the meantime but that isn't working for me either.

Anyone any alternatives/workarounds?

Cheers.

Yay! I got it to wirelessly tether!!! Booyeah!

Being that I know almost nothing about how to work Android (cobbled together some knowledge that is probably laughable to those who know it)... Here's the instruction page I followed - [FIX] Wifi Tether on Eclair now WORKS! - xda-developers

1) Installed the latest Wireless Tether app for the Desire (link)
2) Copied the wifi firmware to my sdcard (link) - placed it in a folder called android.tether as suggested
3) Got to the adb shell. See below.
4) Copied the existing wifi firmware using the following command "adb shell cp /system/etc/firmware/fw_bcm4329.bin /sdcard/temp" (temp is a folder I made earlier to keep any backups of files I modified - not necessary, but I like to keep it in case)
5) Removed the old wifi firmware "adb shell rm /system/etc/firmware/fw_bcm4329.bin"
6) Copied new wifi firmware "adb shell "adb shell cp /sdcard/android.tether/fw_bcm4329.bin /system/etc/firmware/"
7) Exited out/rebooted and then started the Wifi Tethering app.
8) Made it WEP encrypted and changed the passphrase.
9) Connected my laptop and my iPod Touch... Yay!!!

Hope that helps anyone who might want to try it. It worked for me and in case it didn't, I had a backup of the file.

Tim

p.s. So, for all the newbies like me, this is how I got to the adb shell. I followed lekky's guide to rooting. Here's the gist (and I'm sure there is an easier way... if anyone knows, let me know):

1) Turn off your phone and plug it into your computer via USB. Turn it back on pressing the Power and Volume Down button. Use the Volume Down button to get to Recovery and hit the Power button to accept. A red triangle should appear.
2) In your pushfiles folder (again, from lekky's rooting guide), click on recovery-windows.bat and let it run. A green menu should appear.
3) On your computer, run "cmd" and get a new window. Get to your pushfiles directory by using "cd /desktop/pushfiles" (if your files are on your desktop)
4) Type "adb shell mount /sdcard" and then "adb shell mount /system"
5) Type "adb shell ls /system" (that lists the files/directories). You can check any directory, including /sdcard.
6) Copy/remove/replace any files you want this way (including getting rid of the startup sound, changing fonts, etc).

Disclaimer: I am a total newbie. I figured out the above by just experimenting and using what information I gathered from other sites. There is probably a way to do it easier, but this is the way I got it to work. Some steps may be useless, but none seemed to do any harm. However, my knowledge is limited. I just figured... it's like DOS.

If anyone wants to clean it up and remove any extra or useless steps (or even explain to me how I got to this point using the batch file), I'd appreciate it.

p.s. Don't know if it matters, but I'm on 3 in Sweden, and it appears my phone is unlocked (and of course, rooted).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones