• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Would it be worth trading my s3 for a note?

If you're comfortable Rooting it, then yes - it has a same basic hardware features that the SGS3 has (although the Note lacks in a few areas compared to the SGS3)

Most of the major advantages the SGS3 has over the Note are software related... once rooted, and a newer ROM installed, it would be a better phone than the SGS3, IMHO.

CMOS sensor on the SGS3 is better than the CCD sensor on the Note - both 8 MP, but CMOS takes the best picture.

Both have a dual core 1.4Ghz processor. (NOT the same processor, but the specs are similar in that regard)

SGS3 has a higher ppi (306?), but Note (285) has the larger resolution. (800 x 1280 px for the SGS3, vs 720 x 1280 px on the Note)

Note has a front 2.0 MP cam, the SGS3 has a 1.9. (no big deal there, really)

It boils down to a personal choice, really... I take it. I like the bigger screen on the Note. lol

Upvote 0
If you're comfortable Rooting it, then yes - it has a same basic hardware features that the SGS3 has (although the Note lacks in a few areas compared to the SGS3)

Most of the major advantages the SGS3 has over the Note are software related... once rooted, and a newer ROM installed, it would be a better phone than the SGS3, IMHO.

CMOS sensor on the SGS3 is better than the CCD sensor on the Note - both 8 MP, but CMOS takes the best picture.

Both have a dual core 1.4Ghz processor. (NOT the same processor, but the specs are similar in that regard)

SGS3 has a higher ppi (306?), but Note (285) has the larger resolution. (800 x 1280 px for the SGS3, vs 720 x 1280 px on the Note)

Note has a front 2.0 MP cam, the SGS3 has a 1.9. (no big deal there, really)

It boils down to a personal choice, really... I take it. I like the bigger screen on the Note. lol

I would definitely root if I could get a jelly bean touchwiz rom like the note 2. To answer the earlier question, it's a note 1.

Upvote 0
I would definitely root if I could get a jelly bean touchwiz rom like the note 2. To answer the earlier question, it's a note 1.

I understand. I have no idea if they make a custom TW rom for the note 1, because I haven't been following their forum. I'd look into it, and if they have one available, I would jump on that deal in a heartbeat! Lol

(just out of curiosity, let us know what you find out please? I'd be interested to know about it too)

Upvote 0

The US Galaxy S3 has a 1.5GHz dual-core Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 and the international has a 1.4Ghz quad-core Exynos.
The Note 2 has the 1.6Ghz Quad-core Cortex A9 in both the US and International versions.

(Just as a clarification)

I'd jump on that trade in a blink of an eye. The Note 2 costs more than the S3, better battery life, better processor (if you're in the US), and a bigger screen. :)

If it's a Note 1, then don't do it.

Upvote 0
The US Galaxy S3 has a 1.5GHz dual-core Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 and the international has a 1.4Ghz quad-core Exynos.

Absolutely correct. I stand corrected about the slight mistake in .1 or .2 Ghz processor speed.
But we're talking about the US version... aren't we perithimus?

The differences in the US SGS3 vs the Note ONE are minimal at best... with the exception of software (and screen size).

I seriously doubt someone with Note 2 would trade for a SGS3. lol
(Unless they felt they just couldn't live with a screen that size)

;)

Upvote 0
Absolutely correct. I stand corrected about the slight mistake in .1 or .2 Ghz processor speed.
But we're talking about the US version... aren't we perithimus?

The differences in the US SGS3 vs the Note ONE are minimal at best... with the exception of software (and screen size).

I seriously doubt someone with Note 2 would trade for a SGS3. lol
(Unless they felt they just couldn't live with a screen that size)

;)

I didn't see his post, haha. ;)
I stand corrected as well.

Reactions: Pappy62
Upvote 0
Ya gotta admit though - THAT would be a good trade! lol
I love my SGS3, but I'd trade it for a Note II in a Heartbeat! ;)

Speaking of that - I wonder what ROM's are out there for the Note/Note 2?

(And I also have to wonder - does the Dual Core Exynos have the same "vulnerabilities" as the International Quad Core version?)

Bah... I'd still make that trade! lol
;)

Upvote 0
Ya gotta admit though - THAT would be a good trade! lol
I love my SGS3, but I'd trade it for a Note II in a Heartbeat! ;)

Speaking of that - I wonder what ROM's are out there for the Note/Note 2?

(And I also have to wonder - does the Dual Core Exynos have the same "vulnerabilities" as the International Quad Core version?)

Bah... I'd still make that trade! lol
;)

Oh trust me guys if it were a note 2 this thread would not exist, lol. I did find this in my search.

Not jelly bean but it's the right skin.

Galaxy Note I717 Custom Rom! TouchWiz 5.0 With Download - YouTube

Upvote 0
Oh trust me guys if it were a note 2 this thread would not exist, lol. I did find this in my search.

Not jelly bean but it's the right skin.

Galaxy Note I717 Custom Rom! TouchWiz 5.0 With Download - YouTube

One of the captions on that Video says "...Basically a replica of the GS3 ROM"

Based on the hardware configuration, I sorta thought that if there WAS a Note 1 ROM out there, there's no reason for it to not have the same basic features the G3 has.
Good find Perithimus!

Not to offer advice... but if it were me, I'd go for it!

Upvote 0
One of the captions on that Video says "...Basically a replica of the GS3 ROM"

Based on the hardware configuration, I sorta thought that if there WAS a Note 1 ROM out there, there's no reason for it to not have the same basic features the G3 has.
Good find Perithimus!

Not to offer advice... but if it were me, I'd go for it!

I just like that it has the touchwiz nature ui while still retaining s-pen functionality.

Upvote 0
Based on what little I know concerning it, the S-Pen can do more than just 'writing with your finger', i.e.- apps/features that require it, as apposed to "just a finger"?
Am I mistaken?

He said in the video that it still has the pressure sensitivity, and works with the s note, etc. I really like the size basically. The s pen is just an added bonus.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones