• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Would you buy a Droid Eris tomorrow?

if i was in your situation, and an Eris was offered
to me off contract like this, i would take it. but
then i personally don't like BlackBerry that much.
and since you aren't actually buying the phone
from a retailer, there should be no charge to use
this phone instead of your BB. even without Root,
i would still do it.

edit: you can always use this as a learning experience
too. since your contract is ending later this year, you
can learn from this phone to know what you would
want in a future Android phone. (if you plan on upgrading)

This is exactly what I did. My upgrade isn't until March/April of 2011. After a Blackberry Curve (the original) and then the Blackberry Tour (1000x better than the curve), I decided to try out Android OS. I found the Eris used locally and gave it a try.

After about a month of use, I have no regrets! I rooted about 2 1/2 weeks ago and am on my second OS version (was with KaosFroyo v24, now on Eris Official 1.0 OC) and have absolutely no regrets from rooting. I had difficulties trying to figure out the programmers version of rooting (through SDK), but once the Universal Root Procedure came out, I was rooted within minutes, without a puter too!!!

Eris is a little slow due to hardware constraints compared to the new Droid X and Incredible, but by the time my upgrade is due, there will be a 3rd or 4th updated phone that is 10x better than either of those two.

RyRy

Upvote 0
I just saw this 1 click method on xda. Is this really legit? It seems way too easy. What are some of everyones favorite ROM's? I'm thinking I'll be looking for something fairly stock looking, but, lots of speed and wifi tethering is a must. Although I did see a screen shot of one ROM that had the android gren guy and it looked like he was breaking through the front of phone...very, very cool looking. I'm so excited to get my Eris. I'm going to pick it up tmrw morning and then going to Big Red before I go to work at 1 to activate it
an_happydude.gif

Eris Offical 1.0 OC is extremely stock, fast, overclocked from the start, wifi tethering comes bundled. All I needed to find is Swype. Its a must!

[ROM] Eris_Official 1.0 Alpha With Controllable Overclocking! [5/9/2010] - xda-developers

RyRy

Reactions: WormDoes
Upvote 0
There's a reason they've moved to an EVO and given you the Eris just like that. If they're giving it to you for free, take it and sell it and use it towards a Droid 2 or something newer.

If you don't give a hoot about performance, then get the Eris. But then you wouldn't be rooting either.

A rooted Eris at about 740+ Mhz benchmarks lower than a stock Droid. You can get a Droid for free on contract, but even that may not be the best choice since you'd be stuck with it for two more years.

Here's something to look at if you're interested in Verizon: Welcome to our Wireless World

It's already at $179 and with a $30 discount on your next bill, you COULD see it as another $30 off the phone, making it $149. $149 for the latest and greatest. I'm sure there will be a similar in a week or so when the Droid 2 comes out.

All I'm saying is, you can do better if you're gonna be on VZW. Nothing beats free, though.

Upvote 0
There's a reason they've moved to an EVO and given you the Eris just like that. If they're giving it to you for free, take it and sell it and use it towards a Droid 2 or something newer.

If you don't give a hoot about performance, then get the Eris. But then you wouldn't be rooting either.

A rooted Eris at about 740+ Mhz benchmarks lower than a stock Droid. You can get a Droid for free on contract, but even that may not be the best choice since you'd be stuck with it for two more years.

Here's something to look at if you're interested in Verizon: Welcome to our Wireless World

It's already at $179 and with a $30 discount on your next bill, you COULD see it as another $30 off the phone, making it $149. $149 for the latest and greatest. I'm sure there will be a similar in a week or so when the Droid 2 comes out.

All I'm saying is, you can do better if you're gonna be on VZW. Nothing beats free, though.

The only problem with that is I'm already a VZW customer and not eligable for a new phone until December. I'm going to mess around with the Eris and see what it's all about considering I was a BB user for the past 4 years. Thanks for the information though.

The reason they switched to the EVO is her husband dropped his Eris and completly destroyed it (didn't buy insurance). So, he decided to switch to Sprint, shell out the cancelation fee at VZW, and buy 2 EVO's (one for wifey). He just told me to make a donation to a food bank or charity for $30 to take the Eris. That's reasonable IMO, he could have sold it online for a lot more. Plus he's giving me the car charger and he's family so I think it's more than fair.

Upvote 0
its actually funny you ask because i had the eris for about a year...liked it so much that when i switched to at&t i opted for the similar htc aria over the bigger "better (not)" samsung captivate...i say go for it! and hopefully you'll get froyo or some version of it.

If by "about a year" you mean "less than ten months, then....maybe you should use different words to describe it.

Upvote 0
Short answer ... NO

Long answer ... I'm rooted. Even with root, my phone doesn't stand up to the Incredible or even Droid 1. It's slow. To get it usable I have to overclock to about 200 mhz over stock, which is sure to decrease the life of my phone. I still have terrible dialer lag about 40% of the time. Navigation often lags, especially if someone calls me during Navigation. It sometimes takes two or three taps to get something to respond.

The Eris is a two-year old phone trying to run increasingly complex OS's. To even get the phone to run 2.2, you basically have to strip the OS down to close to 2.1.

I would pay money just to get to a Droid 1 right now. So I guess I'd rather shell out another $99 for a Droid than have a free Eris.

Upvote 0
My contract isn't up until December, around Christmas, so It was either take the Eris, shell out $600 for the Inc or X or continue to use my P.O.S BB. I opted to take the free Eris. I just picked it up today but can't get it activated until verizon "pushes through their (sis in law) acount cancellation" What a bunch of bullshit. The lady at vzw said it could take up to a month
surprised.gif

I'm having my sister in law's husband call vzw and try to speed things up so I can get the ecm cleared and start using it

Upvote 0
an_laugh.gif
Sorry, another noob question--When a cook says he removed the "OTC", what does that mean??

OTA. meaning over the air updates. They do this because the modded OS will not update right and will cause issues.

As for the original thread question. I would take an eris over a blackberry any day of the week. I would not however go and purchase a new eris from the store. The hardware is way to old to buy it new. If going from new I would choose Dx, Dic, or a Dm2

Reactions: WormDoes
Upvote 0
Short answer ... NO

Long answer ... I'm rooted. Even with root, my phone doesn't stand up to the Incredible or even Droid 1. It's slow. To get it usable I have to overclock to about 200 mhz over stock, which is sure to decrease the life of my phone. I still have terrible dialer lag about 40% of the time. Navigation often lags, especially if someone calls me during Navigation. It sometimes takes two or three taps to get something to respond.

The Eris is a two-year old phone trying to run increasingly complex OS's. To even get the phone to run 2.2, you basically have to strip the OS down to close to 2.1.

I would pay money just to get to a Droid 1 right now. So I guess I'd rather shell out another $99 for a Droid than have a free Eris.
Running WW 4.6, and the Eris performs fairly well considering the age of the hardware. Its OC'd, obviously. But it was able to keep me listening to a 2 hour podcast, my friend using wireless tether via his laptop and iPod Touch (interestingly, he jailbroke it while we were in the car, lol), My Tracks recording our route and other information, and web browsing. The only time it went slow is when I had a weak signal which obviously only affected internet functions. It heated up like a mother****er (nearly 45 C!) but worked fine. I have never had the dialer lag problem, even with stock.

So no, this phone is not complete crap. It leaves a lot to be desired, since it can go a little slow sometimes, but its a good entry level phone, especially if you get it free.

Reactions: ThorSkaagi
Upvote 0
No. I've had my Eris since December, and last week I just found out that it really sucks. A lot.

I found this out when my friend let me touch his Incredible. I clicked on the Market, and BOOM... it opened INSTANTLY. I even clicked on it both on his phone and my phone side by side, and was absolutely floored at how slow mine was in comparison. Same thing with the dialer... I got used to the lag, but holy crap I didn't know it was so terrible... with his phone I could bring up the contact list, make phone calls, end calls, make new calls... all without a single bit of lag, and all without accidentally redialing or calling the wrong person (which has happened so many times on my Eris). I also quickly scrolled through his contact list and the phone didn't even stutter. It was just 100% smooth.

So yes... I now know that my Eris absolutely sucks, and it makes me sad :(

Upvote 0
Running WW 4.6, and the Eris performs fairly well considering the age of the hardware.

So no, this phone is not complete crap. It leaves a lot to be desired, since it can go a little slow sometimes, but its a good entry level phone, especially if you get it free.

From reading through this forum and others, I've heard a lot of good things about WW4.6. Thinking I may start out with that first for my 1st ROM. I love the screen shot of the green droid dude busting through the glass, very cool looking. I think coming from a BB for the past 4 years the Eris will be fine for me until I can get the newest phone around Christmas. Plus I got the Eris, car charger, 2 cases (1 hard, 1 soft) and 2 3 packs of screen protectors all for a $30 donation. I'm more than happy with that. Now If I can just get this bad boy activated I'll be all set

Upvote 0
^^dunno my eris is pretty blazing fast on senseable with a 710 oc. the dialer lag I could do without but honestly its pretty workable. between favorites list and the recent call log i've only ever misdialed once. my CL scrolls flawlessly.

both market, k-9 and handcent load up with what seems like less than a tenth of a second lag, less if they're already open which is usually the case.

the incredible is the only other vzw phone I even care about right now, and it still feels like cheap crap compared to an eris. everything else is just huge, disgusting, and ugly (i'm looking at YOU droid!). if it doesn't fit in my pocket, its not a phone, its a tablet.

don't get me wrong its an older phone. but there will be half a dozen other new phones out by/around xmas...so honestly I think I'd wait and see, but we'll just have to hope that there are some more good offerings from htc. if theres another phone with this form factor and quality build, it would definitely be worth it.

Upvote 0
^^dunno my eris is pretty blazing fast on senseable with a 710 oc. the dialer lag I could do without but honestly its pretty workable. between favorites list and the recent call log i've only ever misdialed once. my CL scrolls flawlessly.

both market, k-9 and handcent load up with what seems like less than a tenth of a second lag, less if they're already open which is usually the case.

the incredible is the only other vzw phone I even care about right now, and it still feels like cheap crap compared to an eris. everything else is just huge, disgusting, and ugly (i'm looking at YOU droid!). if it doesn't fit in my pocket, its not a phone, its a tablet.

don't get me wrong its an older phone. but there will be half a dozen other new phones out by/around xmas...so honestly I think I'd wait and see, but we'll just have to hope that there are some more good offerings from htc. if theres another phone with this form factor and quality build, it would definitely be worth it.

thats all well and snazzy but have you actually done a side by side comparison? An eris gets beat down speed wise, no matter how fast you think it is. This is just the reality of the hardware.

Upvote 0
thats all well and snazzy but have you actually done a side by side comparison? An eris gets beat down speed wise, no matter how fast you think it is. This is just the reality of the hardware.

I actually did a side by side with my friend's DX, and I'd say you're being a little ridiculous. Mine consistently opened the camera app faster (both cold open and when it was logged in memory) and seemed smoother scrolling (likely due to Moto's stupid UI). The X was most definitely faster at web browsing, dialer, and messaging, but the distance was not nearly enough to make me wish I had waited for it and I really didn't like the form factor. Honestly, the only phone that Verizon has coming soon that I might be interested in, is the D2, but it'll depend on what it feels like when I go in and hold it.

Upvote 0
Yes, back on track.
I would also take that offer as you did. That really sucks that they are dragging their feet on getting that bad boy activated for you. Once it is and your rooted, running custom ROM's, you'll be more than happy with your Eris. I was. Still am. Never had any issues with mine, no lag, no wrong/redials, not on this bad ass Cyanogen Tazz Froyo ROM, or on stock when I ran that. Plus, I don't think I'll ever be able to look at a little tiny BB screen ever again like my brother's Curve. It's kinda gross really.

BB vs htc Eris?

ROOTED Eris ftw......

Upvote 0
I had a feeling you were gonna ask, there's a rumor floating that a 2ghz phone will be coming out soon. But when I say rumor, I mean it in the truest sense of the word. I have seen absolutely nothing remotely concrete (at least for VZW), just forum posts so I wouldn't even bother thinking about it right now.
I hear the Droid Pro will be 1.3ghz.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones