• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Would you buy an LG G3 TODAY

If you're set on the G-FLEX2,I'd wait at least until you're upgrade eligible before looking at anything else.
It's still early,the FLEX2 isn't even available in South Korea yet & was just introduced a few days ago.
If I were betting money it'd go on T-MO carrying the FLEX2.

However,if you're looking for the best bang-for-the-buck,I'd also consider the LG G2:
http://www.t-mobile.com/cell-phones/lg-g2.html

It's priced at about $350 Brand New & IMHO is a much better option than the G3.

Upvote 0
What type of phone are you currently running now? I'm curious as to give some better clarifications with my opinions about what you might want to consider.

I came from an S3 to my G3. My wife just went from an S4 over to a Note 4. My G3 is a great phone, and it's biggest flaw is the HD screen (instead of a 1080 screen) that rapidly eats battery life. Carrying an extra battery is necessary, and since I'm kind of used to that from my previous phones, it's not a huge inconvenience. Most days I don't need to switch batteries, but I have to be ready with a spare battery. I've grown addicted to the tap on tap off feature, love my camera which even takes very good low light pictures, and personally like the IM feature that takes you directly into the message app when you bring your screen on and clear the lock screen. The curved back fits perfectly in my hand and the screen seems to be the perfect size for me.

My wife loves her Note 4. The screen is large and the battery is fantastic. It's a very fast phone and admittedly faster than my G3. I think it's only flaw/advantage is it's size. It doesn't fit in the hand as nicely as the G3 since it's all squared off. Her large screen is enviable compared to mine. The note 4 has a ton of interesting little usable features that my wife discovers and gets all excited about. She's able to use the split screen for apps a little easier than I can.

If I were in your shoes, I might not get a G3 knowing that the next batch of phones will likely be faster and have better battery life - two biggies for me. I'd be tempted to wait a little longer. I love the way it fits in my hand, wish it was a tad faster with less lag, and admit my battery life is highly suspect. Now you've got my opinions on why I like my phone relative to how I use it, and based on what I came from. I hope this gives you at least one good data point in your decision making.

Reactions: DILands and KOLIO
Upvote 0
I HAD a G2 - and really liked it. Upgraded to the HTC One (M8) when it came out. I'm on my 3td M8, this one seems to be solid. The one thing I LOVE about the M* is the Boomsound. Part of me wants to upgrade on Friday because i can. Part of me says to wait for something that I really love.

I'm not going bact to the G2. Even Consumer Reports in there "should you but this yo save money" chose the added expense of the G3 over the G2.

Edit - one of the appealing things in the Flex 2, and I'm assuming the next batch of flagships is the Snapdragon 810.

Reactions: KOLIO
Upvote 0
There's nothing else on the market today I would choose over the G3. The Notes are too big for my hands (although I like everything else about the Note 4). The Nexus 6 is too big, and not that impressive to me. The G3 is still better than the S5 IMHO) and the Moto X.

In a few more months, there will be a lot more choices: the G5, S6, HTC One M9. If your current phone is working now, wait and see.

Reactions: lexluthor and KOLIO
Upvote 0
I HAD a G2 - and really liked it. Upgraded to the HTC One (M8) when it came out. I'm on my 3td M8, this one seems to be solid. The one thing I LOVE about the M* is the Boomsound. Part of me wants to upgrade on Friday because i can. Part of me says to wait for something that I really love.
Edit - one of the appealing things in the Flex 2, and I'm assuming the next batch of flagships is the Snapdragon 810.
Put BOOMSOUND/FF Speakers & BLINKFEED on the G FLEX2 & voila': The Perfect Phone! :D
Seriously,I've rooted a few phones & put BLINKFEED on 'em (1+1/OPPO FIND7/NOTE4/OPPO N1) & it made a great experience even better.
You've got a great phone in the M8 & seemed pleased w/it.
As mpavlansky stated,the G3 has already been surpassed spec-wise by a few phones out now & the QHD Screen isn't the best in performance or on battery life & not marked down enough to make it a good value.
I'd wait at least until the G FLEX2 &/or the GALAXY S6 is announced/released before making another phone purchase.

Upvote 0
I'd grab a LG G3.

I had a Nexus 6 and LOVED it but had to return it due to burn in issues. Couldn't chance going through another so I jumped ship. To me, AMOLED just isn't a viable technology right now.

Which is part of the reason I stay away from the Galaxy family. I don't like Touchwiz, plus the AMOLED screens.

As for the Flex 2, I thought the LG G4 is supposed to be a better phone for a cheaper price. I've heard the Flex 2 is going to cost a pretty penny or three.

Upvote 0
I like the G3, but I would probably get the Nexus 6 if I had to make the same decision today. I wanted a new phone and got tired of waiting for the new nexus to arrive. They did not even have a ship date or even verify the phone was coming out. Two weeks later it arrived. But I do like the fact that the G3 allows you to swap out the battery and stick in a Memory card. But here I wait for Lollypop at the mercy of AT&T.

Reactions: KOLIO
Upvote 0
Just got one on upgrade on Friday, was on a Sony Xperia Z. Looked at iphone 6, Galaxy note 4 and S5, but preferred the look and specs of G3. G3 also came a bit cheaper with a redemption offer for free circle case from LG.
Loving it so far, on Android Lollipop too, no lag issues, some cool tweaks too like quick memo. :)

What was the deal with the free case?

Upvote 0
If i had to choose current, probably 2nd gen motox or Droid turbo. But my G3 has never really let me down so i am more satisfied with it over the long period than I have been with any other phone I have had. I am not compelled to replace it for any reason. I think in terms of what matters to me, the front speakers or battery life would be more important factors.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones