• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

WTF is going on ?? (Calling for death of Nexus One))

I edited my previous post... maybe not a walk, but a crawl.
You know, I'm starting to like you. We just need to get a Nexus in your hands and I think you'll be right as rain!:D

You know you're going to eventually have one. Just come to the dark side already my man. You won't go back, and yes, you'll have an issue or two, but you won't regret the move. You know deep down you're going to do it eventually, anyway.;) You must have one and you know it.

Upvote 0
You know, I'm starting to like you. We just need to get a Nexus in your hands and I think you'll be right as rain!:D

You know you're going to eventually have one. Just come to the dark side already my man. You won't go back, and yes, you'll have an issue or two, but you won't regret the move. You know deep down you're going to do it eventually, anyway.;) You must have one and you know it.

Can't mang. I'm locked into the other dark side, maybe you've heard of them... they're called VZW.

Upvote 0
Can't mang. I'm locked into the other dark side, maybe you've heard of them... they're called VZW.
Well that's something we can agree on.:D

Verizon is going to get it eventually and then you'll get one and feel bad about all these posts you've made.:D

However, I will accept you in to the fold because there is greater joy in one who was lost, but now is found, than one who was never lost at all.:)

Upvote 0
I don't see why anyone cares, even if google did pull the phone, be glad you got one while they were available, it's a great phone. It's not like android is dying and you are stuck with a dead end platform. Android has solidified itself in only a year!
because we want another one, and another, and another....

Can anyone say Nexus 5 :D

Upvote 0
This topic is falling woefully of subject. Please, keep it on topic or I will have to close it.

If you wish to discuss the futility of modern society pursuit of technology admist the apocalyptic crisis in a fatefully leveled country, we have a lounge for that. As for this topic... lets keep it about the media attention on Nexus One, pretty please?

As for my opinion on the matter... journalists love to see an idol fall. Google have been riding high in the public eye for a long time, and when the fabled "Google Phone" that has been whispered about in tech halls for the last couple years doesn't turn out to be the life-altering, game-changing device they all built it up to be, well they like to tear it down. If you take it on it's merits as a phone, it a good phone, even mayby a great phone (I haven't had that much hands-on time with one yet), but it was never, no matter how great the phone turned out to be, ever meet up to the expectations the media built up.

Upvote 0
Exactly! A voice of reason. I would only add that it wasn't just the media that built it up. I think if you've been an Android follower since its inception (or even before, as rumors swirled), you have been painfully waiting for the day, as you put it, the "fabled Google phone" would touch down. But I do believe that there are things that Google could have done to have even assuaged the critics. At the same time, I appreciate Google sticking to its guns, like not enabling multi-touch pinch natively. It's allowed 3rd party developers to really step up and create great apps (e.g. DOLPHIN browser 2.0 was updated today and it's fantastic and fast!) But yeah, not enabling MT(pinch) natively is like taking a shot at Apple saying, "Look, we don't need to use your patented tech and we can still move Android devices!"

Upvote 0
My favorite is the guy who returned his N1 unopened! What didn't he like, the packaging???

There is no perfect phone. I have had some that came close, my BB 8830, My Treo, Those were great phones and great in business situations. Given a chance, I think the N1 will fare well. It's fast, beautiful and rocks 2.1. We all get frozen screens, apps that are finicky etc. Android is new and 2.1 like every other iteration will have quirks...count on it.

IMHO. the problems are OS and Customer Service related. The N1 is just the housing for the OS. But you don't hear anyone yammering about how glitchy 2.1 one is...Nope. It's the N1 :rolleyes:

1. People say that they don't get consistent 3G service, that it drops out to EDGE. That's not the N1, sweetie! I have the same problem and I don't have an N1!

2. Customer Service - Again, not the N1 itself.

3. Touchscreen/No multitouch/Pinch - Mine doesn't have it either, LOL. But okay so I might have to concede this one. But it isn't actually a problem, it just isn't a feature of this phone.

4. Delivery problems - Again, not an inherent N1 issue. A service issue.
5. Battery Life - Aha! But again, I have the same issue and an App killer solves it.
6. Early Termination Fees - Again...not a problem with the phone.

I have come to the conclusion that the problems are not so much with the N1 itself as they are with the service around the phone. And I daresay that the rest of us Android users haven't received official 2.1 releases due to the N1...the 2.1 OS and its native speed are all that separate the N1 from any other great Android phone.

Upvote 0
You guys are really WAY too sensitive and reading WAY too much into these articles. I mean you're attacking me because of my user name? What AndroidForum law prevents me from posting in a forum that's NOT DROID specific?
Well, I for one know that there are a LOT of angry Droid users out there hating on the N1. This Android on Android hate has got to stop. :rolleyes: I used to have G1. Got it about a month after it was introduced. It was great to see all the help and support for Android no matter what hardware it came on... That was until now. Not only is the N1 slammed, but also T-Mobile too... Said..said..said :rolleyes:

Bye! Don't let the door hit you on the way out :) You can try the Nexus One forum: Nexus One Forum - Google Phone Forum

You'll get a nice support group over there!
Nice attitude there chief... :rolleyes:

Eh, how about this idea, why don't you just stay in the Droid forum. It's obivous you do not like the N1. :rolleyes: (Yeah, I read your posts slamming the N1, so you can't hide...) :)

Your help and knowledge would be better served and appreciated there.

Upvote 0
Well, I for one know that there are a LOT of angry Droid users out there hating on the N1. This Android on Android hate has got to stop. :rolleyes:
I can't understand this either. The N1 does nothing but help the entire platform expand and grow. It's not a threat to the Droid or any other Android device.

Not only that, but I suspect a large number of Droid owners will eventually move to the Nexus.

IPhone users, Blackberry users, I can understand their hate, but for the life of me I don't understand the Android on Android hate. It's the complete opposite of what I experienced as a BB user where all new BB's were welcomed as helping to expand and grow the platform. People need to understand we're all in the Android family.

Upvote 0
People need to understand we're all in the Android family.

Well, that's kinda tough when people hear that their phone is being called a Brick, LOL.

I love my SB2, but it *is* cube-ish, LOL - And, yes it has freeze issues and the like. But those are software related and I anticipate that these will be addressed in 2.x - I have even grown accustomed to the sliding app tray. Once you get the feel of the tray, it isn't as horrible as I had heard.

But the software issues nearly drove me up a wall. I am trying to be patient and await the update. But bash the N1? No. And the Droid, is just a more masculine form factor than I like (there, that was nicely said, wasn't it? :p )

Upvote 0
Well, that's kinda tough when people hear that their phone is being called a Brick, LOL.

I love my SB2, but it *is* cube-ish, LOL - And, yes it has freeze issues and the like. But those are software related and I anticipate that these will be addressed in 2.x - I have even grown accustomed to the sliding app tray. Once you get the feel of the tray, it isn't as horrible as I had heard.

But the software issues nearly drove me up a wall. I am trying to be patient and await the update. But bash the N1? No. And the Droid, is just a more masculine form factor than I like (there, that was nicely said, wasn't it? :p )
Touche'

I was just giving as good as we're getting but you do make a point. I'm at fault as well.

The truth is, after having used the Android OS now for several weeks, if I couldn't have the Nexus, I would get a Droid, etc,. I'm sold on the platform.

Upvote 0
Most of the negative articles that I have read have a clear Apple bias. I don't think that is happenstance. I guess they have the biggest fear factor. It would be interesting to see Google win just to see how the landscape plays out. No matter, Google has upset the apple cart (pun intended).

A majority of the articles, yes, do have an Apple-bias. Can you blame them? Apple (particularly, the iPhone) has been so pervasive. It has found itself in the hands of die-hard anti-Apple people. Friends -- who swear on PC and despise everything that Steve Jobs is -- have an iPhone. That's how far-reaching the iPhone is and how accessible it has become. So, yeah, you're going to have a lot of bias. Even in this forum, there's a lot of bias. That just goes to show how tremendously loyal we are to a platform.

However, I think that we can't be so blind as to NOT see the slivers of truth in some of this anti-Google diatribe found in these articles. It's not a DROID vs. N1 argument. There are some real legitimate short-comings that Google is working on addressing right now. You can bet the farm that the N2 will not suffer the same fate as the N1. That's just progress. But I think one of the most cogent articles I have read about the N1 experiment went and reiterated what I have said all along: Wait...

Google could have waited just one month. It wouldn't have done anything to set them back. DROID was doing a fine job keeping the steam of Android going. Take that extra month, make sure the infrastructure is in place, make sure your carrier partners are in place... you can still do a soft launch, they've done it before with gmail, google voice, etc. Make sure you go over the 2.1 OS with a fine-tooth comb. I mean, I think this 3G issue could have been caught. Touch screen calibration.... I know the busted kernel that the N1 ships with could have been caught. Just one month!

That's why I think these articles are beneficial. They certainly are pushing Google to fix the problem quicker. But I fear that the damage may soon be irreparable unless patches get released in the near-term.

Upvote 0
-However, I think that we can't be so blind as to NOT see the slivers of truth in some of this anti-Google diatribe found in these articles. It's not a DROID vs. N1 argument. There are some real legitimate short-comings that Google is working on addressing right now. You can bet the farm that the N2 will not suffer the same fate as the N1. That's just progress. But I think one of the most cogent articles I have read about the N1 experiment went and reiterated what I have said all along: Wait...

Google could have waited just one month. It wouldn't have done anything to set them back. DROID was doing a fine job keeping the steam of Android going. Take that extra month, make sure the infrastructure is in place, make sure your carrier partners are in place... you can still do a soft launch, they've done it before with gmail, google voice, etc. Make sure you go over the 2.1 OS with a fine-tooth comb. I mean, I think this 3G issue could have been caught. Touch screen calibration.... I know the busted kernel that the N1 ships with could have been caught. Just one month!

That's why I think these articles are beneficial. They certainly are pushing Google to fix the problem quicker. But I fear that the damage may soon be irreparable unless patches get released in the near-term.

But these "reviewers" would have us throw out the baby with the dirty bath water. There is nothing wrong with the phone! Patch the OS, Fix customer service and the distribution model...And like Apple, bring that price down.

What the detractors hope to do is to destroy the idea of the N1. Won't happen. Everyone knows that the game is now changed forever, just as Apple changed the game when it dropped. We now know that it can be done. Next iteration will have seen these potholes and fixed them.

The "partner" is the same manufacturer of the Hero and Eris. They are not novices. They are however, playing a new role at which they suck, LOL. Google should have cut a better (co-branded) deal with Tmo and simply let HTC do what it does...manufacture phones.

As many problems as Windows has had, it is still selling well. Their problems were many and they are a target for hackers because they hold market share. Google should take note of that and continue improving and churning out N1's and 2's etc. The problem is that the detractors have platforms from which to yell their disapproval (PC World etc). People who love the N1 need to get the word out. It's time for Google to fight back by making the happy users known. They know who has the phones...contact them and give them voice!

Upvote 0
A majority of the articles, yes, do have an Apple-bias. Can you blame them? Apple (particularly, the iPhone) has been so pervasive. It has found itself in the hands of die-hard anti-Apple people. Friends -- who swear on PC and despise everything that Steve Jobs is -- have an iPhone. That's how far-reaching the iPhone is and how accessible it has become. So, yeah, you're going to have a lot of bias. Even in this forum, there's a lot of bias. That just goes to show how tremendously loyal we are to a platform.

However, I think that we can't be so blind as to NOT see the slivers of truth in some of this anti-Google diatribe found in these articles. It's not a DROID vs. N1 argument. There are some real legitimate short-comings that Google is working on addressing right now. You can bet the farm that the N2 will not suffer the same fate as the N1. That's just progress. But I think one of the most cogent articles I have read about the N1 experiment went and reiterated what I have said all along: Wait...

Well said. Coming from someone that has been occasionally critical of sooper_droid I believe this post has a great deal of merit. I'm sure that is of little concern though, but rational and reasonable commentary should be acknowledged.

Upvote 0
dude, dont even try. it's futile. they are all in denial; the fact is: N1 is a lemon; it's a failure. they're all blaming the press, the droid users, the iphone users, the gods, and the milky way for N1's problems, yet none of them is willing to blame the N1 itself.
if you tell them that the sky is blue, they'll say it's green and you're color-blind.

I left AT&T and bought MotoDroids for my wife and I. After 1 week of random crashing and force closures, my wife was fed up and wanted to go back to the 3GS. I had problems too, but wasn't ready to throw in the towel. I convinced her to stay with Verizon, and although slower, she was much happier with the Eris.

During the 30 day test drive, I had 3 Droids. The first was returned because it would restart randomly. It didn't matter what I was doing. The second was returned because the power button was faulty. Oh, and don't get me started on the keyboard. It is totally THE WORST physical keyboard I have ever used...in my entire life...EVER! Sidekick, 7 or 8 blackberries, Tmobile Wing, Sidekick, Touch Pro, HTC Tilt, G1...all far superior physical keyboards. Plus, let's not forget that Motorola was giving away battery doors because that came with the phone was faulty. Oh, and how many "patches" is that now for the Droid?

Fortunately for me, the Nexus one came out 5 days before my test drive was up. My wife told me two days ago, I love my phone. She is not a techie, so her opinion is not skewed by things that aren't important to "most" people. We have minor annoyances with the differences in the OS, but the hardware is awesome.

All that said, only a Tool would develop an opinion on a product and passionately bash it without ever using one. You can eat the noodles, but don't drink the broth.

Upvote 0
i really liked this phone when i got it. but then i started to have issues with dust. at $530, i don't appreciate having a phone with a loose screen to let in dust.

customer support also comes with the cost of this phone. htc cust support sucks. they don't know if they have refurbished phones or if they're new. two managers and four reps told me that replacements were new phones. a manager and a rep told me that the replacements are refurbished items. it's ridiculous.

i was just told that i can return the phone for a full refund within 14 days after i receive my replacement. this happened at 5:34PM, 1/21/10, in case there's a dispute later on and the guy didn't document it like i told him to, and i have to tell a manager to look at my phone call.

i'm hoping the htc bravo doesn't have as many problems as this phone. it looks like it will solve most of the problems i'm currently having with the google nexus one. i really love the design and the functionality, but the unresponsive touch buttons, lack of multitouch, poor battery life, and unresponsive trackball sour the device for me. i'm expecting a great phone at the price i paid. if this is unreasonable, well i guess i'm unreasonable.

Upvote 0
Wow, this thread does seem intense. I don't really see the problem, as a consumer, I couldn't really give two hoots what the media are saying about the N1. I bought one after doing my own research and yes, it has a few bugs.

There are two that I'm suffering, neither major... the buttons on the headphone only work if the device is awake when I plug them in, and sometimes I have to manually put the device to sleep after the alarm goes off.

I don't see why (people think) Droid users are annoyed at the N1, to me, it is simple.

You either like Android or you don't. If you do, you either want a physical keyboard, or you don't. If you do, you get the Droid, if you don't you get the N1. (Assuming you approve of the look of both devices).

I was leaning toward a Droid, but when the N1 came out, the 1Ghz processor was the selling point for me. The Droid would have been my first phone with a hardware QWERTY, and I chose the processor over that.

The Droid is an awesome phone, so is the N1, and judging by the amount of users, so is the iPhone (I've never used one). It's all down to personal choice, and we have a choice, which is a good thing.

Upvote 0
Two rather large groups, iPhone and to a degree Droid owners, feel somewhat threatened by the Nexus One. Of course that isn't all owners of these devices, just the self-centered blogging ones that unfortunately tend to be the loudest ones.

Any Droid owner who feels threatened by the Nexus One or any other Android phone has got their head up their a**. Anyone who really cares about the Android platform doesn't want to see any Android phone, much less one with this much hype, fail.

So thinking that this media push is being lead in any way by a bunch of disgruntled Droid owners is ludicrous.

Also, why is there such a perception among the N1 community that Droid owners are threatened by the N1, or hate the N1, or whatever you want to say? I say, works for you, works for me.

Let's just all be happy that we have awesome Android devices and go from there, eh?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones