• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

XFL 2023

Roughneck is a term for a person whose occupation is hard manual labor. The term applies across a number of industries, but is most commonly associated with the workers on a drilling rig Roughneck - Wikipedia

It not the best name, but there are other odd names for a football team Jets, Browns, Commanders and Packers

Upvote 0
It may be related to Houston's oil industry now, but "roughnecks" was originally just a term for a person that was rough. A lot of people feel it's derogatory, like calling someone a Redneck for example.

I'm sure they meant no harm and were going edgy, but definitely not a name I can get behind. This is a stone's throw from "Redskins". When you have the chance to name your teams at this point in the world, why pick something that's borderline offensive?

Reactions: olbriar and AugieTN
Upvote 0
Reactions: olbriar
Upvote 0
I didn't watch the game. I assume that the Vipers are still winless.
Yep. The gave up a 45 yard TD on 4th & 2.

mad billy madison GIF

Reactions: AugieTN
Upvote 0
I watched the last half of the Roughnecks vs Brahmas tonight. The Roughnecks have a decent defense and won the game. They are the only team without a loss in the South and the Defenders are the only undefeated team in the North. I think they play each team in their division twice and play each team out of the division once making a 10 week season. A two week post season which I only assume is a divisional week and a championship week. The two teams that are undefeated thus far see each other week six. I've enjoyed what I watched so far.

Upvote 0
The games have been great. I have been very impressed with the league so far. The ratings apparently took a big nose dive from Week 1 to Week 2, so it should be interesting to see what Week 3 brings. But overall, the games have been competitive and the players are giving it their all. The RB for the Roughnecks last night was running thru brick walls on every play.

Reactions: olbriar and AugieTN
Upvote 0
Reactions: AugieTN and olbriar
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones