• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

you have got to be freaking kidding me

Ha, I LOVE non-corporate Verizon stores!!! I tried following the root method on this forum and it was giving me absolute fits! So I went down to my local Verizon store where I've gotten to know one of the sales guys pretty good. He just recently upgraded from a Droid to a Droid X and I'm the one who pushed for him to get the X after I got mine. So anyways I go in there and ask him if he knew anything about rooting the X... he said he'd just done his and went ahead and showed me how to do mine.

Imagine that, going to a Verizon store to get help rooting your phone! :D

Upvote 0
In general...I am in agreement with the OP way back when.

For people that find it shocking that the sales reps vomit their sales training as biblical truth, come on, seriously? For the most part, these jobs are entry level, and for the most part, they are filled with young twentysomethings fresh out of college or whereever, working their first or second sales job. They haven't had enough real world experience to learn that blind faith in what the corporate trainer tells them isn't always the right answer.

I was the same way when I was in my early 20s. We all were.

We all know better about things like ATK from experience. Once they gain some of their own, they'll move up the VZ food chain or on to greener pastures.

And the next noob sales rep fills their slot. Circle of Sale Life and all that.

Upvote 0
you call it blind faith like "fighting the man" they are standing up against corporate evil that is against customers, blah blah blah.... You are glamourizing selling cell phones like they are the John Adams' and Jefferson Davis' of verizon fighting King George....

Face it, you aren't going to change corporate policy, all you're going to do is get run out of it, replaced by someone else.

Upvote 0
I know that if a sales rep told me to install ATK, I'd probably do it. I don't condone the use of ATK, but sometimes it helps on my phone. The Eris doesn't have the best memory management, and sometimes my autokiller doesn't work, so I go to the homescreen, click the ATK app(it's not on my middle screen) and click kill all, and it makes my phone start flying when it's slow. I use ATK maybe once a week, and in the rest of the time, I have it NOT running in the background. Sometimes, task killers are fairly useful. Most of the time, especially with 2.2, it's useless.

Upvote 0
a guy came into my work last night and had a droid 2 and i was asking him about it since i just ordered mine. the first thing he told me was that i needed to download ATK. i actually started laughing at him and told him that it was pointless because froyo did it already and it actually could cause problems with his phone. he looked at me like i had grown a third eye!! i told him to research it online and to check this place out!

Upvote 0
In general...I am in agreement with the OP way back when.

For people that find it shocking that the sales reps vomit their sales training as biblical truth, come on, seriously? For the most part, these jobs are entry level, and for the most part, they are filled with young twentysomethings fresh out of college or whereever, working their first or second sales job. They haven't had enough real world experience to learn that blind faith in what the corporate trainer tells them isn't always the right answer.

I was the same way when I was in my early 20s. We all were.

We all know better about things like ATK from experience. Once they gain some of their own, they'll move up the VZ food chain or on to greener pastures.

And the next noob sales rep fills their slot. Circle of Sale Life and all that.

A sales rep in my local 3 network store continously points out how "superior" N97 mini is to HTC Legend
loooooool

Upvote 0
I'm so glad I work at a non corporate verizon store. some of the crap I've heard from customers and on here is cringe worty. One thing I've "trained" the people I work with to do is not touch the customers phone other than activating it. Teach them how to do it with their own hand, dont show them. Also after a long tired battle with the hire ups in the company I got them to remove ATK from our training materials and cutomer "first day emails"(emails we send out saying thank you for your business and giving some small tips and app recomendations)

It's almost scary how many customers come in complaining of battery issues and have multiple task killers and and anti virus programs on their phones all set to auto kill on the highest level and the strictest security level. after explaining to the customer why they arent helpful and how multiple is even more harmful I teach them now how to remove an app.

Reactions: tommy_ed
Upvote 0
They will probably start pre-installing that crapware just like all the other junk they started to recently. More and more I'm getting unattracted to Verizon's devices all over again. Yes, you can root it, but I shouldn't have to. I don't lease it from them, in which I could understand the junk.

That may be true, however the beauty of android is that they can't really modify the nuts and bolts of the OS. What I've done so far is just delete the excess crap they put on there. I like ATK though, it does save battery lol.

Upvote 0
That may be true, however the beauty of android is that they can't really modify the nuts and bolts of the OS. What I've done so far is just delete the excess crap they put on there. I like ATK though, it does save battery lol.

I think hes talking more about the preinstalled apps such as VZ nav, and bing. Those that cant be uninstalled unless you are rooted, which is by no means an option for everyone.

Upvote 0
I know that if a sales rep told me to install ATK, I'd probably do it. I don't condone the use of ATK, but sometimes it helps on my phone. The Eris doesn't have the best memory management, and sometimes my autokiller doesn't work, so I go to the homescreen, click the ATK app(it's not on my middle screen) and click kill all, and it makes my phone start flying when it's slow. I use ATK maybe once a week, and in the rest of the time, I have it NOT running in the background. Sometimes, task killers are fairly useful. Most of the time, especially with 2.2, it's useless.

Ok, I refute my above statement. After reading up on what task killers do in Android, I was disgusted by my naiveness. I uninstalled the app like two days ago, haven't looked back. For a pre-2.2 phones, sure, it was allright. But, I'm using 2.2.1, and I have no need for a task killer. So, I must apologize for my above statement.

Upvote 0
Ok, I refute my above statement. After reading up on what task killers do in Android, I was disgusted by my naiveness. I uninstalled the app like two days ago, haven't looked back. For a pre-2.2 phones, sure, it was allright. But, I'm using 2.2.1, and I have no need for a task killer. So, I must apologize for my above statement.

Just don't let it happen again:p

Reactions: xzillerationer
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones