• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

you have got to be freaking kidding me

but who really cares... while I think they are garbage myself, but it's not like they are installing a virus on there. It's prettymuch just a meaningless app that causes no harm. My uncle had it installed on his from Verizon... I thought about telling him, but then I thought, it's his 'security blanket' when it comes to the Droid.... there's no harm in that

Upvote 0
hopefully a mod will just lock or delete this thread and get it over with

you're mistaken, you aren't really that funny to begin with

I really dont understand how it is that you 2 started going at it with each other.
I just hope it's not about to start again. Slug already issued a warning.

This could actually be a topic worth debating if it wasn't for the shots being taken at each other.

Personally, i still cant believe how childish and immature some people are that they make fun of someone by what they do for a living? Because they have an "entry level job"?

Lets try to stay above that. (He is a kid, btw)

Upvote 0
I dont know if Verizon employees have been trained to shove task killers down our throat, or if they do it because they think it's necessary.

When I had my Eris and i was in there for a trackball issue, the Verizon tech asked me which task killer i was using.... :rolleyes:. After telling me how I needed it, i told him i would install it later just to get him to get on with my real issue.

Today i upgraded to the Droid 2. This guy, without even asking me or informing me what he was doing, installs Automatic Task Killer.
I noticed it when i was walking out of the store and I look at my phone and across the notification bar i see : "95 MB freed", then a minute later "4 MB freed"... or something like that.
His job, IMO, is to activate my phone. That's it!. After that keep your dirty paws off my phone!!!

I think I would have some issues with that myself. Possibly even some corporate feedback. That sounds your dealership putting octane booster in your car when you take it in for an oil change. Regardless of whether it's free or not, they shouldn't be doing it. Also, ATK and any task killer are more than likely to drain battery, especially since Froyo has a built-in killer for those random stubborn apps.

Upvote 0
Oh for the love of all things Droid just drop it already.

You were told to leave it alone by two different staff members. The next person to continue this absolutely ridiculous bickering will get a few days vacation. Now, either discuss the actual topic and not what you view as someone else's work ethic or your own believed superiority or leave the thread alone.

On the actual topic, I've had a couple of issues with Verizon employees trying to install garbage on my phone and I actually had a manager call me on it.....by name almost. :rolleyes:
http://androidforums.com/htc-droid-eris/59466-odd-trip-verizon.html#post514643

Upvote 0
geez, you guys act like you can't simply uninstall them when you get outside or that they just pulled what apps to install out of their backside.... It's obvious they are just doing what higher ups tell them. And chances are, ALL the wireless companies will do the same. Deal with it. why do you have to make a big deal out of it?

Because it's disingenuous to put ATK on the phone that might not solve anything. While we know better, average joe consumer doesn't, and putting ATK on the phone will likely not get to the root of the problem. If it's a rogue app, you can kill it all day and watch it drain your battery regardless. With the growth of Android accelerating, there needs to be qualified and trained individuals to fix issues at stores, not just by-the-book routine crap. And that's what it is, crap.

Also, I hate to see my phone turn into a Windows OEM filled with bloatware that I don't need, nor use, and therefore have to spend MY time uninstalling. Bloat is a top reason your OS or hardware grinds to a crawl and I really don't want to see that happen with Android. We already have to deal with Amazon MP3 and others, they should be letting the salespeople at Verizon makes suggestions. In fact, it would be more helpful to have a printout of some sort that would allow the consumer to look at the various programs that might help them and what they do.

Upvote 0
Because it's disingenuous to put ATK on the phone that might not solve anything. While we know better, average joe consumer doesn't, and putting ATK on the phone will likely not get to the root of the problem. If it's a rogue app, you can kill it all day and watch it drain your battery regardless. With the growth of Android accelerating, there needs to be qualified and trained individuals to fix issues at stores, not just by-the-book routine crap. And that's what it is, crap.

Also, I hate to see my phone turn into a Windows OEM filled with bloatware that I don't need, nor use, and therefore have to spend MY time uninstalling. Bloat is a top reason your OS or hardware grinds to a crawl and I really don't want to see that happen with Android. We already have to deal with Amazon MP3 and others, they should be letting the salespeople at Verizon makes suggestions. In fact, it would be more helpful to have a printout of some sort that would allow the consumer to look at the various programs that might help them and what they do.

it's just a job.... You don't actually have to drive a corvette in order to sell them. Still, it goes back to the repeat visits theory I gave. it's not harming anything, and if adding bloatware gets the average joe-consumer BACK in the store.... bam, there's an opportunity to sell a charger, beltclip, etc.

Bottom line, Verizon is in a business that INCLUDES add-on sales like this. the trick is getting people to buy them from Verizon store instead of Kiosks in the mall.

Upvote 0
it's just a job.... You don't actually have to drive a corvette in order to sell them. Still, it goes back to the repeat visits theory I gave. it's not harming anything, and if adding bloatware gets the average joe-consumer BACK in the store.... bam, there's an opportunity to sell a charger, beltclip, etc.

Bottom line, Verizon is in a business that INCLUDES add-on sales like this. the trick is getting people to buy them from Verizon store instead of Kiosks in the mall.

As far as it being a job, Best Buy has the Geek squad that can answer questions, diagnose problems, and set up hardware. Why can't cell phone providers have this? While you're right about the repeat visit theory, doesn't that strike you as quite unethical?

Upvote 0
Going back to my auto parts store analogy.... You don't know how many women I convinced they needed "bulb grease" when they bought headlights. Did they need it, probably not but it's not hurting anything. Unethical, not at all.

and my work ethic is bad. :D anyways I understand what ya mean about customers coming back in, but I don't think people come into verizon stores soley because of atk... why would they? yes, people will come in with battery issues, but they would do that with or without atk installed. I think its just another of many examples where the guy sitting up top doesn't know what he's talking about. It happens all the time, some one high in the chain comes up with an idea to "fix" a problem, when he/she's not even on ground zero to know if its needed or not...and like i said in the first place, I WILL be talking to my corp. rep about it, although I know it wont do any good. I'm sure you know how higher ups can be about trivial things like this :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
I was just in the Verizon store to ask some quick questions about my rebates. While talking to him, a woman came in and got a Droid 2. The CSR not only recommended ATK, but installed it to show her how the Market works, THEN used it to show her how to make a shortcut on the main screen "since you'll be using it a lot", THEN showed her how to use it to kill apps "because it's a computer, and all those apps are running in the background slowing the phone down", AND THEN told her to open it and kill all the apps every 2-3 hours! I was talking to my guy, so I couldn't jump in really, but DAMN, so much misinformation being given out by CSRs. But if she's just going to blindly run stuff with no research, it's none of my business. She was old enough to know that you can't trust a single word that comes out of a salesmans mouth unless he's saying "I'm lying to you."

Upvote 0
First of all, this was an entertaining thread. The seriousness of such a non-issue getting out of hand was quite a lesson in the culture of these types of forums. People become bold behind a computer screen.

While it may be "suggested" by highups to recommend ATK or other apps, I find it refreshing when those at the customer level give out the correct information to their customers. It will not affect sales because no one will come into the store because of a task killer not working. Just my 2 cents.

Upvote 0
The problem I have with corporate telling people to do this is that ATK has become the Android snake oil for them. They tell customers that it will solve any problem they have. I have heard reps tell customers that they need ATK for battery problems, GPS issues, signal issues, random reboots and the all too common, just to make a Droid run. This type of misinformation doesn't just effect one customer, it hurts Android as a whole. How many people are going to encourage their friends and family to buy an Android when it doesn't work right and the "cure" doesn't fix the problem?

Personally, I try to educate the reps and customers every time I walk into a store. The more knowledgeable the user base, the bigger the user base and the more development for the OS. Sure some of them treat me like some idiot girl who knows nothing, but most of them learn at least a little bit.

Reactions: Deleted User
Upvote 0
Our local repair center (Sprint) here in tallahassee has become aware that task killers aren't needed. I was the first to mention something about it, and surprisingly enough, the tech guys in the back looked into it. They agreed after reading up on it, and now when I'm in there (rarely now, hooray for not having a buggy phone) and over-hear some sales rep closing the sale and checking someone out with a new Hero, Moment *yuck*, or whatever, they're always telling them now that a task killer or lookout are things you want to stay away from. THEY DO LEARN!!! You just have to find the right people in the stores to talk to about it. I'm telling you, knowledge is power. Not ALL the people that work at the wireless stores are sheep, just most of them.

Upvote 0
geez, you guys act like you can't simply uninstall them when you get outside or that they just pulled what apps to install out of their backside.... It's obvious they are just doing what higher ups tell them. And chances are, ALL the wireless companies will do the same. Deal with it. why do you have to make a big deal out of it?
You're missing the point. Let's say you just purchased your first car and imagine you have no knowledge of how automobiles work. You take it in because the windshield wipers are not working. The mechanic takes it upon himself to fix the wipers and then installs battery tender leads onto it. And he tells you that you need to plug the car in every night so the battery doesn't die. The average car owner knows this isn't true. Somebody who grew up in a city with a family that never owned cars may not know this. It's pretty much the same thing. The reason being that most Android users don't know they don't need a taskiller yet they are being told that it will make their phone "better".

The reps shouldn't install anything on your phone without permission.

Am I the only one that's choosing not to read the long messages posted above?:rolleyes:

Time to unsubscribe from this one.... I like em short and sweet
That was a completely useless comment...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones