• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help ZTE AWE - WiFi Setup

Everyone (including myself) complains that nobody tells you how to do things. Well I finally got Wifi Tether to work on my ZTE AWE. Took some doing and I'm not quite sure how it worked or what setting changed it but I'm going to list all my settings and maybe it will help someone else.

1. you have to be rooted.
2. I downloaded version 3.3 beta.
3. The settings are as follows:

a. Change Device-Profile =Generic ICS/JB(wlan0)
b. Setup-Method = Auto
c. Send Netd Max Client Cmd = Unchecked.
d. Enable WiFi-Encryption - Checked
e. Change Passphase=left with default "abcdefghijklm"
f. Change SSID =Tried to change but wouldn't stick.
g.Change channel = 06
h. Mac Address spoof = Unchecked.
i. Change Mac is darkened and can't change
j. Don't disable Bluetooth = Checked
k. WiFi-driver reload = Unchecked
l. WiFi-driver reload2 =Unchecked
m. Enable access-Control - Checked
n. Keep Alive - Connection checking = checked
o. Shutdown Timer = Unchecked
p. Idle Shutdown = Unchecked
q. quota Shtdown Limit = unchecked
r. MSS clamping = Checked
s. Routing fix = Unchecked
t. Vibrate on connect = checked
u. Disable Update-Check = checked
v. Disable Wake-Lock = checked

This then when started showed on my notebook "AndroidTether" instead of the SSID that I put in so it isn't working (or sticking). The connection is limited until I accept the MAC address of my notebook as authorized and then I got full access from my notebook to the internet through my phone.

Hope this helps others.

Jim :)

Did not try it on a PS3 but found out that the second time I came into the software it didn't work again. Could not get it to work at all now.

So I searched some more and found WiFi Tether Router which as 1.98 but seems to work better. First time out of the box it didn't work but messing with the settings I found that it did start working and consistently.

Here are my settings for my ZTE AWE N800. It is rooted but with the basic original ROM.

All settings are the defaults unless stated:
Method: HostApd
WiFi Mode: WiFi - N
prevents stan-by: checked
Timerk Auto-Off: checked
BlackList & WitheList (misspelled): empty until connected then added my MAC address when trying to connect for full access.

That was it and now it consistently works.

Jim
:D

Upvote 0
Jim, I have the used your settings on zteawe and it doesn't connect for me. I have got it to connect playing around with the settings. Very buggy. Do you have any suggestions? At best it connects for 1 or 4 minutes. It says my phone is taking over wifi. I turn it off and same message. I took off all security and virus protection apps. Does anyone have any thoughts about this issue?

Upvote 0
Jim, I have the used your settings on zteawe and it doesn't connect for me. I have got it to connect playing around with the settings. Very buggy. Do you have any suggestions? At best it connects for 1 or 4 minutes. It says my phone is taking over wifi. I turn it off and same message. I took off all security and virus protection apps. Does anyone have any thoughts about this issue?

Try going into settings > Mobile Data > Connection Optimizer and Uncheck it if it hasn't been yet.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones