• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help zte warp batter charging

alpha2k

Android Expert
Nov 19, 2009
This may be a run on paragraph so I apologize ahead of time.
I have an issue I am trying to track down.
Phone: zte warp
2 batteries: factory 1600mah that came with the phone and a new 3800mah.
issue: new battery charged thru the phone drains just as fast as the stock battery. Nearly identical drain. Unplug at 7am and down to 75% 3-4 hrs later.
charge setup: dual usb slot wall charger plugged into a power strip.
charge: 5-9 hrs

When it charges it says its 100% and no charge is showing so its as if its fully charged.
Here is the scenereo I have.
I bought the new 3800mah on my brothers card (since i have no cred card)
After about 3 weeks the battery came in, so I went to pick it up. When I got there he said he had it on the provided wall charger that came with the battery.
I decided to test the new battery out for a bit and ran it down to 80%.
After that at 9pm decided to charge it to 100% again. At 12mid i decided to give the battery a vigorous test and unplugged it and see how long it would last. I ran multiple videos (3-5), surfed about 3-5 hrs on multiple web sites, played a few games, made some phone calls.....all in all I'de say avg to moderately heavy use, and after 22hrs I still had 32% left. I was rather surprised and well pleased. That was day one.
This was on the provided wall charger out of the phone ie: the battery wasn't charged useing the phone.
I then charge it overnight in the phone about 6 hrs. I wake up check the phone and it says 100% and no charge symbol (full charge). Took it off the charger at 7am and at 10:30am I am at 80%, this is with 1 youyube video about 5 mins long, and nothing else.
Now it seems somthing somewhere is messed up because with almost 3x more usage the day before I got way better battery usage, now it's no better than my stock 1600mah is.
Things that changed are: usb wall charger and charging thru the phone.
After all this speel, my question is what went wrong or what am I doing wrong, if anything??
I am going to take the battery out of the phone tonight and charge it with the wall charger like the.first time to rule out the battery, but am at a loss as to what the issue is.
Is it possible that the phone could have a charging issue, and charging thru the phone doesn't get a true full charge? if so I may have to contact zte.

Your phone probably recognizes the new battery as one of the smaller batteries and therefore only allows it to charge as much as the smaller batteries would... try charging to 100% and then wipe the battery stats with cwm.... turn the phone off and then see if it continues to charge...

Sent from my N860 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5

Upvote 0
Do you have cwm? Go in to it and go to advanced settings. Click wipe battery stats. This is only after charging the battery to the FULL 100% with the wall charger you said will charge it completely. Not in the phone. Then let it drain all the way down to 0%. A full battery drain. Then charge back to 100%. It should recognize the new battery after charging and depleting a couple times. But you only wipe stats once.

Good call Jet. I completely forgot about that. I had to do it to my wife's prevail because she will charge it like 12 times a day without fully draining it.

Reactions: prmax
Upvote 0
Yes I do have cwm and have already cleared battery state, but I will start fresh again, no biggy.

So as I understand it I use the wall charger, and not the phone?

ie: take the battery out, charge it full, place the battery in the phone after a full charge, boot and wipe battery state, reboot normal, run the battery down, repeat process again. Do this for approximately 2 days or 2 times and it should work fine after that

Correct?

I say 2 days as a general statement not literal as it could take numerous times.

I hope I read that right.

Upvote 0
Very cool. I will give that a shot.
As for the charge, it makes very good sense, considering the way it acts is EXACTLY the same kind of drain as the 1600mah battery, such as within about the first 1/2 hr it loses round 2-3%. That's what my smaller battery did. As I type this I just hit 15% warning after 16 hrs. Not bad, but I cut back drastically on using it for the last 5-6 hrs so its not really a good 16 hrs. More a good 10-11, and for a 3800mah, that's not very impressive.
Hopefully this fixes it.

TYVM for the info and help. I will report back with my findings.

Upvote 0
I guess 8 hrs isn't/wasn't enough to charge the new battery, so I had to use the smaller one today, which brings me to a question.

Can I use both batteries for doing this?

My assumption would be no, because after you clear battery state and use a different battery you'd bascially have to start I over since both batteries read differently.

As for the battery, putting the smaller battery against the bigger it looks to me to be 3 of the smaller ones, at least 2 for sure, so it is a bit bulky.....that doesn't bother me though because I'm for the functionality not always the look for me. Sleeker is very nice but idea rather have more battery time as apposed to looking good.
So in short it is a bit bulky. I'll upload a pic when I get this all sorted, of before and after so you all can get an ideas.

Upvote 0
Using both batteries defeats the purpose of what we are trying to do. If you want it trained for the larger one then you have to solely stick with it.

It is a bit of an inconvenience for a couple days but it will pay off in the end I believe. And just use your phone like usual. Don't slow down or speed up your usage unless you usually do. Same thing as training a dog. You need routine.

Upvote 0
Sorry for such a delayed reply, but I was testing the battery out.

Two things:

1: The Battery kit came with the following:
-Wall charger (not the USB kind)
-Extended battery
-Back for the phone
and I spent a total of $15.

What I did was charge the battery nightly for 3 consecutive days/nights, each night draining the battery to 0% until the phone died, then taking off the back, putting the battery into the wall charger, and charging it to full, never touching it until then.
This worked well, and still does, the battery lasts anywhere from 12-22 hrs on a charge with moderate to high/mid-high usage.
Sadly though, I charged the battery on the phone, and took it off the charger this morning at 5:30am, and it's now 6:30am, and I get the typical 2-3% drop NO matter what I do, idle or otherwise, so I decided to run a 5 min video just to see what happened. Well to my disappointing finding, I am now at 90% battery, and that's JUST with a 5 min video, and NOTHING else.

2: I talked with multiple people, both techs and non-techs (not like the tech label means much) but still I talked around to see what their ideas and thoughts were on this issue. A couple of Sprint techs whom I trust and have proven themselves, said that they have discontinued selling the extended batteries at all, because of this exact same issue.

They stated that it's not just a single model or make, it's multiple phone models and makes, but they said the phones themselves didn't seem to either know how to charge the same as the wall charger or just didn't give the same "full type" of charge.

It seems that if you charge with the phone, it doesn't give it the (for lack of words) "deep" cycle charging that the wall charger does.
From what I have found in my testing, this seems to be the case. It would seem as if the wall charger I have is charging the battery to a fuller state, as compared to the phones charging system.

All in all, it's been an interesting test, but sadly I am disappointed, not that I spent the $15 and basically have a paper weight now, but that I can't use an extended battery :(. I was SO looking forward to having the extra battery life. Oh I could use the battery and wall charger, that's true, but can you imagine the abuse the back phone cover would take, taking it off and on, even at every 2 days charge, over a extended period of time the back would be wasted and of no use, and then I'de really be in a bind, because the backs aren't exactly plentiful.
So for now I'll bite the bullet on this purchase and learn from it, and move on.

All I can say is, if you are thinking about buying an extended battery, please be leery of how it charges in your phone.
I am in NO way saying "all" extended batteries and/or phones have the same results, but I can say from what I was told and have tested, it seems to be the case, more-so than not.

If you still want pics I can upload them, but I don't really see a point, since the results are not so good.

Update:
I have been on this charge for longer than expected, so I have to retract what I initiall posted (even though I left the post).
I am currently coming up on 14 hrs now on a single charge, that is with moderatly high usage I would consider....perhaps above avg, and not high (shrug), and I still have 20% battery life left.

Initially I had thought because of the way it was draining and acting, I would have the same results as my 1600mah battery, but it seems as though the way it acts and drains is different. By different I mean no 2-3% drop at the first, and no sharp drop then level off.
It seems as if it drops that initial 2-3%, then levels for a couple hours, then drops off again, more-so than the first, then levels off again for quite awhile, then goes down in normal increments.
When I used the wall charger, I didn't get that 2-3% drop at first, and the drop offs were at different stages than they are now IE: with wall charger it would stay at like 80% for quite a bit, then drop off to about 60%, then stay then down to like 50, then 35, then 25, then 20, and stagger off at around15-20%, then stay a bit and then down to the 10% and gives me that warning.
Now it seems to do basically drop 2-3% about 98-97%, then drop to 65% or 60% and stay for a bit, then down to 50%, then 45%, then stagger every couple % down to 20% and stays at about 20% for an hr or 2, then I'm not sure after that, because I'm still at 20% this will amke like 2 1/2 hrs it's been at 20%.
So it's kinda hard to gauge really, but it seems as if it does indeed work...I guess. From asking around it seems as if 14-15 hrs is good, even for an extended battery.

Things I have done thus far are (and not in any certain order):
-Watched approximately Four to Five 3-4 min videos, namely becasue I was researching phones from boost, such as Samsung Transform Ultra, Lg Marquee, and also vs. like Warp vs. marquee, and transform ultra vs. warp.....checking to see about battery life and smoothness with the phone.
-posted 2 times on forums here, about 2-3 mins each one along with loading times
-about 40-50 texts
-10-15 phone calls, avg of 20-30 min each call.
-used GPS once for about 10 min
So I would consider that to be above avg use, if not moderately high maybe, maybe I'm exaggerating, but not intentionally. Each person has a different idea as to what high usage is and avg usage is.

I appologize if I mislead anyone with the post, it wasn't meant that way, just I jumped the gun, so I apologize for not waiting it out.

Reactions: djjunerock73
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones