• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root ZTE ZMAX Pro (Z981) root discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
@messi2050 did you see the pastes I have in the op? If you are looking to find the path to each partition it is
/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/system
/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/cache

and so on.

I'm not sure if that helps or not.
Yeah looks to be the same fstab as the stylo 2 plus , i can compile a working twrp but I'm not sure that u will be able to flash it...

Upvote 0
Yeah looks to be the same fstab as the stylo 2 plus , i can compile a working twrp but I'm not sure that u will be able to flash it...
Our only chance of being able to flash anything is by first obtaining temp root.

We know that there is no way to reboot this device into bootloader mode to flash firmware images. The bootloader is locked in the sense that we don't have access to it.

What we don't know is if the bootloader has some kind of security check that will cause the phone not to boot in the event that a custom kernel or recovery is installed. I remember when I briefly had the lg Stylo, if you had a custom recovery installed and accidentally unchecked the OEM unlock option in developer options, it would soft brick the phone until you reinstalled the stock firmware kdz.

This is just a guess but I think that this phone has the system write protection that ZTE devices are infamous for, but other than that is unlocked. We just don't have the luxury of being able to flash a custom recovery using a flash tool like fastboot or Odin.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
AFAIK the qcom flashing tools might work, but that's diving into territory I'm weary of messing with.
I haven't tested it, nor do I recommend trying; once we get the full stock firmware, unlocking the bootloader won't be impossible.
I'm trying to work on a dirtycow root (or at-least consistent temp-root) but my programming skills are shoddy at best.
Also, I have quite a bit of info gathered about this phone if anyone has any questions.

Edit: forget to ask, has anyone tried building the source provided by ZTE? Might be some useful info from that

Reactions: 5318008
Upvote 0

I ran across that a while back but unfortunately it doesn't seem to work.

Its something that we are overlooking.... Cus by android'sdk (built) recover, fastboot its part of it. Same as DLM, FTM, EDL that integrates with Qualcomm... its something we are missing or we are not doing the right combination... Correct command.... something.... , :-\

Upvote 0
So you want root .... ofcourse/ yes
Want to help getting a working method .... shhh...silence
You spent months trying to obtain root on this device and you didn't make any progress....I tried to help but unfortunately all is liking my posts and skip the contributions asking part , i won't be able to help without getting the device in my hands as i need to figure out a workaround for flashing the recovery , i need to know the cmdline /tagsoff and other information required to get a working twrp recovery and as i can see no one wants to help getting a one so I'm sorry , I won't be able to help u , send me a pm when you really want to go on with a successful root for this device....

Upvote 0
Thanks.. but No Go.. :cool:
This releases Nov 4th.... China only.. If it comes to the U.S. and is marketed correctly.. It's going to sell on looks alone.
But Check The Specs On This Beast! :cool:

Alright guys lets stop n get back on track and keep threat for rooting stuff if y'all want to talk about devices n changes go to the metropcs chances forum and discuss your insights there... Thank you. All.

Upvote 0
Alright guys lets stop n get back on track and keep threat for rooting stuff if y'all want to talk about devices n changes go to the metropcs chances forum and discuss your insights there... Thank you. All.
This is exactly what I was referring to, people not even staying on topic. It'd not that hard to start a new thread.

Upvote 0
Right Now..
There are only "TWO" things happening as far as rooting this device is concerned............

1) Getting that Man enough funds.. ( AND WE STILL DON'T KNOW WHAT THE GOAL IS )

2) He gets shipped the device that is currently out of the country.

That's It... Period.

There is Nothing Else going on here but.. crying for root.. ALL " One-Click" options are exhausted
A little chatter is not going to matter one way or the other.. Until either Item #1 or Item #2's criteria is met, Root is not going anywhere..... So.. let's all chill on complaining about a little diversion that effects nothing...

Thanks All... :cool:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It's not that I am not willing to contribute. I did for a few devices I had for testing as well as donating. I check everyone's information and their past post when I donate. And from what I see so far from your post. It doesn't tell me that you contributed anything to help root. Also you join Saturday. Did you post it on another site? If you did, can you confirm that on that site (XDA or any other) that it is you that did the root that you stated. I am willing to donate once I see it. Thanks
I have a better idea. Mine is laden with stage fright, is so completely pwnd by rooted, escalating permission apps that zte asked me to send it in. I am buying a throwaway tomorrow. I'll send you mine. PM me, and you will have one in hand next week. Don't be posting my search or passwords all I ask. If you make it work, I'll pay for you to send it back. If it bricks, owell. I have learned the golden rule on phones from this bloat float via Metro POS. No Root. No Value. I'm off to bed, early morning for me. Hit me up. Let's do this.

Upvote 0
Right Now..
There are only "TWO" things happening as for as rooting this device is concerned............

1) Getting that Man enough funds.. ( AND WE STILL DON'T KNOW WHAT THE GOAL IS )

2) He gets shipped the device that is currently out of the country.

That's It... Period.

There is Nothing Else going on here but.. crying for root.. ALL " One-Click" options are exhausted
A little chatter is not going to matter one way or the other.. Until either Item #1 or Item #2's criteria is met, Root is not going anywhere..... So.. let's all chill on complaining about a little diversion that effects nothing...

Thanks All... :cool:
By the current rate we will get a device next year xD
I can pick a one starting from tomorrow from my own money but it's just that I'm not interested in the zmax pro.... I'm saving for the new xiaomi mix

Reactions: RAIDER W
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones