• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

2.1... Confirmed!!

All I'm saying is it's a waste of time and space to keep on with these speculation threads. We all know it's coming, and we all know there will be more information available from an official source soon enough. I just find it incredibly stupid to jump on a sprint tech support chat and ask about the update, because they don't have a clue. More often than not, we've got more information (whether it's good info or not) than they do, which is why there's so many different dates jumping around. The last official word was that they will be rolling it out within the coming weeks. Expect more information within the next couple of weeks, from the sprint forums and sprint's twitter. Until then, there's no point in annoying the hell out of sprint tech support about the update, and then wondering why it takes so damn long to get to someone with tech support when you really do have a problem you need them to take care of.

Hey buddy nobody asked you 'what you think'
It's our perogotive if we want to dig deeper into the buzz thats been circling around the internet for the past months. We get different answers from everybody, including all levels of Sprint employees. Like buddy said before me, no ones forcing you to move your cursor over this thread or hold your eyelids open to read it. This is a FORUM. This is where conversation like this belongs.

SOOOO....

How about a big nice cup of shut the * up!

Reactions: ferfy67
Upvote 0
Shit, by the time Sprint gets done with their 2.1 update, they might already have a 3.0 available.

So it was March (thats what a rep told me in February), next its april, then may, then june, then it gets pushed back again to around next year... Words can't even describe how irritated I am by this... All the apps I have now have 1.6+ versions available and I can't even touch them thanks to sprint...

And the sad thing is, HTC already has a phone coming out with 2.1 loaded on it. There are even videos on youtube of Sense UI with the official 2.1 update. So how or why sprint is taking so long is beyond me... They can keep their crappy applications... But if I find out that they are waiting until their "remove tethering" update comes in affect, I will be even more pissed lol.

There is also NO way in hell I will take my phone to a sprint store to load a android update on it. Mine is rooted, im just waiting until its release so I can update it that way.

But if we seriously have to go to sprint to update our phones, then that is a bit ridiculous...

Upvote 0
It seems to me that these mixed results means one of two things:

1. All reps were told to NOT tell the exact date of release. Some of the reps thought, "I don't really care about my job, I'll release the date anyway." While others play it safe, and pull the "We do not have any information..." stuff.

2. All reps were not told the date of release. Some of the reps tell the truth, that they don't know the date. Some of the reps like to mess with peoples head (and get a kick out of reading all these posts on forums), so they give a fictional date.

Either way... It's all good fun. And to those of you who don't like reading this crap, I HAVE FOUND A SOLUTION!!! The solution is:

Disclaimer: Solution requires that you have no common sense.

Do not click on postings which have the keywords: 2.1, confirmed, unofficial, update.

:eek:!!

Upvote 0
If I was a Sprint rep my response would be:

"Wait, you mean the 2.1 update that came out last Wednesday?! (it's always a Wednesday when you're talking about the past) Yeah man you should have already received the update automatically via magic nymphs while you were sleeping"

How's that for all in good fun?

Haha! I would have loved to receive that response.

Upvote 0
The 2.1 update WILL be out on the 26th.* I confirmed it 3 times yesterday....2 times over the phone with tech support supervisors and I also went into my local sprint repair center and spoke to the store manager there, who I've known for the past 5 years.* EACH person stated it will DEFINITELY be here on the 26th, especially my local center's manager, who allowed me to see it on his computer screen when I told him I didn't believe him.* It can be done in store if you bring in y our Handset or it can be downloaded from www.sprint.com/downloads.* Download it to your computer and transfer to the handset.* As of now it will not be available OTA. www.sprint.com/downloads.* Download it to your computer and transfer to the handset.* As of now it will not be available OTA. computer and transfer to the handset.* As of now it will not be available OTA. Hope this helps!

Upvote 0
The 2.1 update WILL be out on the 26th.* I confirmed it 3 times yesterday....2 times over the phone with tech support supervisors and I also went into my local sprint repair center and spoke to the store manager there, who I've known for the past 5 years.* EACH person stated it will DEFINITELY be here on the 26th, especially my local center's manager, who allowed me to see it on his computer screen when I told him I didn't believe him.* It can be done in store if you bring in y our Handset or it can be downloaded from www.sprint.com/downloads.* Download it to your computer and transfer to the handset.* As of now it will not be available OTA. www.sprint.com/downloads.* Download it to your computer and transfer to the handset.* As of now it will not be available OTA. computer and transfer to the handset.* As of now it will not be available OTA. Hope this helps!

WE DONT BELIEVE YOU, WE NEED MORE PEOPLE!!!! lol

I wouldn't bet my mortgage on this info at all.

Upvote 0

Just called the Sprint store around the corner from me in San Diego. They said they have absolutely no information on when an update will occur. So I tried the next closest Sprint store and they said they have no idea when the release date will be, and that they typically don't know when the date will be anyway until a day or two before the release date.

Upvote 0
they would of released a OFFICIAL RELEASE DATE a week or 2 ago if it was coming out the 26th. They won't just release a release date a day ahead of time or just randomly have the update available one day. My bet is they will release a release date in april and tell us we will get it in May. If we don't get it by may, I think ill terminate my sprint contract for lack of updates...

Upvote 0
they would of released a OFFICIAL RELEASE DATE a week or 2 ago if it was coming out the 26th. They won't just release a release date a day ahead of time or just randomly have the update available one day. My bet is they will release a release date in april and tell us we will get it in May. If we don't get it by may, I think ill terminate my sprint contract for lack of updates...

You are never satisfied ;)

Upvote 0

Good luck! Hope you enjoy a different phone and different carrier!

On a side note, when the MR update was released, it was done without a week or two of notice. When the TP2 update was just released on Friday, it was done without a week or two of notice... I'm seeing a trend here....

The reason they DON'T give notice is so that if a major bug IS found, they don't have a TON of pissed off customers.

Upvote 0
I've digged around for hours trying to find this information out (call me a loser if you want, whatever theres nothing else to do at work) AND talked to numerous Sprint employees. It's my understanding that on Mar 26th they will probably announce the date of it's release which should be the first week in April. Most people that I've talked that have seemed to have any sort of brain have said it will be released early/the beginning of April (I know that's redundant). Let's see what happens at the end of the week because nobody's going to tell us anything else as of right now.

Upvote 0
Having worked both for Sprint, in a store technician role, and for a mobile software developer, I can definitely say that Sprint is not the best when it comes to giving much advance notice of MR updates. While I did see some communications from time to time about dates, it was not at all unheard of to learn that an update had been pushed overnight and was 'suddenly' available. That being said, it could go either way. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones