• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

2.1 rooted!

ok so will i now be able to load a custom rom too? sorry im new at this and how do i do it? i want to use the newest version of fresh since ive heard good things about it and it seems like its what everyone uses

I'm getting ready to head out the door so don't want to leave you hanging too much, but check THIS THREAD out. It should have the answers to all your questions.

Be sure to do a NANDROID BACKUP before doing ANYTHING and save the backup to a computer!!!

Reactions: Hero_Guy
Upvote 0
yup im rooted :D thank you sir

...congrats..

May I recommend Fresh v2.1.2! It has the wireless Wi-Fi app already installed and the GUI is the same as Sprint v2.1 I have tried Damage 2.08, ROM was responsive with little lag, but Wireless WiFi from the app store did not work, still buggy!

If anyone has any recommendations on other ROM's to try please share:D

/r

O.G. CpTHOOK

Upvote 0
You can install it directly from your phone.

Go to the link from your phone. Download the apk. Click to install it.

Go to your app drawer and find the app, click to open it.

From what I've read, it should do EVERYTHING.

Any idea if this will this work for software#2.27.651.6? I don't want to brick my phone but this seems easy enough that I would actually understand it/be able to do it.

Upvote 0
no the software you have was released ota right? it was meant to patch this exploit meaning no more root. atleast for now

Yeah, I just got my phone yesterday actually and I was going to root manually when all of a sudden it requested to do an update, and I just let it, not realizing the OTA was going to keep me from rooting. I wish I would have realized then I would have stopped it.

So I guess I just have to deal with an un-rooted phone until someone can root for the new release? Total bummer...

Upvote 0
Yeah, I just got my phone yesterday actually and I was going to root manually when all of a sudden it requested to do an update, and I just let it, not realizing the OTA was going to keep me from rooting. I wish I would have realized then I would have stopped it.

So I guess I just have to deal with an un-rooted phone until someone can root for the new release? Total bummer...

Do the RUU from a few posts up that I linked someone to. Then don't apply the OTA update.

Upvote 0
...congrats..

May I recommend Fresh v2.1.2! It has the wireless Wi-Fi app already installed and the GUI is the same as Sprint v2.1 I have tried Damage 2.08, ROM was responsive with little lag, but Wireless WiFi from the app store did not work, still buggy!

If anyone has any recommendations on other ROM's to try please share:D

/r

O.G. CpTHOOK

Best one I've found so far is Zen :)

Upvote 0
Do the RUU from a few posts up that I linked someone to. Then don't apply the OTA update.

No, the issue is I let the OTA update automatically yesterday w/out realizing what I was doing, so now the phone is already updated. :-\

So the real issue becomes, do I keep looking for a way to root or do I just have to wait now for someone to figure out how to to root the 2.27.651.6 software...

Upvote 0
No, the issue is I let the OTA update automatically yesterday w/out realizing what I was doing, so now the phone is already updated. :-\

So the real issue becomes, do I keep looking for a way to root or do I just have to wait now for someone to figure out how to to root the 2.27.651.6 software...

I know, I'm saying to run the RUU from .5 (instead of .6) from one of the links above. There have been reports of people running it and saying that it should push you back so that you CAN root. :)

Upvote 0
I know, I'm saying to run the RUU from .5 (instead of .6) from one of the links above. There have been reports of people running it and saying that it should push you back so that you CAN root. :)

Well, I download and installed/ran the Unrevoked .apk, & it said done... then I downloaded cachecleaner to test it, bit the cache program said it could not run on my phone b/c either not rooted or do not have BusyBox. I'm assuming it's cause my phone did not root. Did I need to restart my phone after unrevoked or should it have gone ahead and worked?

Upvote 0
Only bug I've personally experienced is if you take a picture you can't INSTANTLY set it/send it anywhere. Also, widgets don't have the surround thingy that apps have (I don't even notice it anymore)

Awake time is great. I experience the GSM/CDMA issue, but once I fix it all is great.

Zen is the ONLY ROM that has been on my phone for more than a day or two. Every single other ROM that I have tried so far hasn't lasted more than 48 hours.

Upvote 0
Well, I download and installed/ran the Unrevoked .apk, & it said done... then I downloaded cachecleaner to test it, bit the cache program said it could not run on my phone b/c either not rooted or do not have BusyBox. I'm assuming it's cause my phone did not root. Did I need to restart my phone after unrevoked or should it have gone ahead and worked?

You need to do the RUU, not the unrevoked app. Try this, you will lose EVERYTHING though. CLICK HERE.

WHen you finish that, THEN try the unrevoked. :)

Upvote 0

The Root probably worked, however the app won't due to the fact that BusyBox is not included with the stock ROM. I have ran into this before as well. If you change your ROM or just install BusyBox to the ROM you have then you should be good to go.

Upvote 0
You need to do the RUU, not the unrevoked app. Try this, you will lose EVERYTHING though. CLICK HERE.

WHen you finish that, THEN try the unrevoked. :)

Sorry for all the questions I am throwing out! I really just have no clue about anything, I'm a complete newbie with Android.

So when you say I will lose everything ... does that mean I will lose all my contacts? I have my contact list saved on my computer for when I switched from Instinct to Hero, so not too concerned about that.

But losing everything: does that mean it will be like when I first took the phone out of the package and started it? So I would still have my facebook app, Google capabilities, etc.? Or will it be like I have a completely blank phone with nothing at all on it. I can live with losing all my photos and contacts but if every single application and function was deleted then it would be like a brick anyway so not worth it...

Sorry if I completely am misunderstanding everything :(

Upvote 0
Sorry for all the questions I am throwing out! I really just have no clue about anything, I'm a complete newbie with Android.

So when you say I will lose everything ... does that mean I will lose all my contacts? I have my contact list saved on my computer for when I switched from Instinct to Hero, so not too concerned about that.

But losing everything: does that mean it will be like when I first took the phone out of the package and started it? So I would still have my facebook app, Google capabilities, etc.? Or will it be like I have a completely blank phone with nothing at all on it. I can live with losing all my photos and contacts but if every single application and function was deleted then it would be like a brick anyway so not worth it...

Sorry if I completely am misunderstanding everything :(

Like you took the phone right out of the box. You can always copy pictures, etc to your computer.

Not to sound rude or harsh, but what's your reasoning for rooting???

Better safe than sorry!

Upvote 0
Like you took the phone right out of the box. You can always copy pictures, etc to your computer.

Not to sound rude or harsh, but what's your reasoning for rooting???

Better safe than sorry!

I want to root so I can remove the stock apps that came with the phone. They are unneccessary and basically just bloating my phone. I have looked into the applications that are called App Removers, but they don't fully remove Sprint NFL, Sprint Nascar, etc. ... also, I don't want to run a Task Killer if I don't have to. I'd rather just get rid of those apps and not shove them under a rug, so to speak.

That's the main reason. I am not really looking to do much else but make my phone way more efficient, w/ less lag & far cleaner...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones