• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root 2.2 fails to install

ok so same thing happening to me! Getting a litter nervous. All i did while rooted was try and use wifi teth, add nex theme. Thats it. I did load up bootsrapper tho! so has anyone yet to follow these instructions and see if truly removing bootstrapper works? I would try but im about to walk out the door for work.

Will be subscribed to this thread... if anyone makes any progress definitely post! because it looks like birdmans methos is not going to work.

Upvote 0
There is a way, but the safest bet is to do an SBF.

Why do you people want to be Moto's bitches? They are screwing with the Mod community and f'ing user in the process. The OTA is not some super special better update than the latest leak other than it will prevent you from ever going back to 2.1 or gaining access to the boot loader. Not only will I never use one of their OTA updates I will NEVER buy another Moto phone.

Upvote 0
Not so sure birdman is coming out with that update. Look at his twitter posts...

@wicked_beav my "fix" wont work sadly, i was running tests to see if my idea would work when i figured out the signatures changed :(

looking at the conversation between @_mrbirdman_ and @wicked_beav it doesn't look good.

He was working on a fix for people that got bricked flashing the 2.1 SBF when he discovered Moto changed all the keys and signatures. Thanks Moto VZW will have lots of pissed off people in their stores today. I'm sure they are going to love you for it.

He may still do an update but it will not have the new patched boot loader

Upvote 0
Im not sure why I cant install 2.2. I rooted my phone a while ago to remove some bloatware (blockbuster, city id, ect) and installed some rooted apps (tether, drocap).

I reinstalled the deleted apps using this method
http://androidforums.com/droid-x-al...w-reinstall-system-apps-_as_-system-apps.html

and the apps reappreared on my phone, I then unroot. Now when I go to install 2.2 it downloads and when it starts installing it stalls and then my phone automatically reboots with no changes.

Someone help please.

Quick question, do I have to uninstall all my root apps, easy root, tether, ect?

Upvote 0
Not only will I never use one of their OTA updates I will NEVER buy another Moto phone.

I'm beginning to feel similarly. I'm on the leaked 2.3.9 build and that's where I'll stay until people smarter than I work things out. Motorola is being unnecessarily hostile to the mod community with absolutely no benefit to them. The ablility to load ROMs and remove bloat harms them in no way. Root's already out of the bag again, so if they were hoping to stop tethering, then they've already FAILED. This jihad against modders serves no purpose, but at least we know why the update took so long... they were implementing draconian "security" fixes.

Upvote 0
I rooted my phone 2.1. I never updated my phone to the leak 2.2 update. All i did was the Droid X recovery bootstrap.

I tried to update my phone to 2.2 yesterday but my phone boots into Clockwork Mod Recovery every time i power off and turn it back on.

So i did SBF Flash but my phone still boots into Clockwork Mod Recovery when i turn the phone off and on again.

Can anyone help me?

Upvote 0
I rooted my phone 2.1. I never updated my phone to the leak 2.2 update. All i did was the Droid X recovery bootstrap.

I tried to update my phone to 2.2 yesterday but my phone boots into Clockwork Mod Recovery every time i power off and turn it back on.

So i did SBF Flash but my phone still boots into Clockwork Mod Recovery when i turn the phone off and on again.

Can anyone help me?

Oh jeez, i was going to do the SBF flash, this doesn't make me happy

Upvote 0
well its official, my phone is a brick. Never came close to happening on my eris. Then it bricks cus of the update. F moto. I just got back from the vzw store and i will have a new x in 2 days. They were trying to use the rsd in the store and it did nothing.

God that sucks, I don't know why they make it so we can't toy with our open source phones like this.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones