• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root 2.2 fails to install

I found out that i can use Root Explorer to get rid of the recovery. They told me to erase hijack file, logwrapper file and rename logwrapper.bin to logwrapper

but when i try to do this, my phone tells me that those are read only files and I cant delete them...what the heck..

what do i do...?

Yeah I read that too and I don't understand it, i would like a detail way to do this.

Upvote 0
Arehexes,

I unrooted and rooted my phone again and again and used root explorer to delete and rename the files above. It just worked so let me see if i can update to 2.2

Ok that's good to know, cause I don't know CLI in linux (still learning) well enough to give a file all the info it needs (rwx for each set). I was hoping someone would help me in that, to remove the hijack and logwrapper and give the premissions to logwrapper.bin(after renaming it).

Upvote 0
So I ended up doing a system restore and nothing changed. I still had the Ninja from the Superuser app icon.

I took my phone to the verzion store and they did there own system restore, then retried to download/install 2.2

it didnt work. when trying to install the phone would flash a triangle with an "!" inside of it (error message) and just restart normally.

The tech ordered me a new phone and i have to send the old one back. before I do that I have to remove the ninja.

Just wanted to let everyone know the deal

Upvote 0
I just finished downloading the update and failed.

I did a factory reset as well but that failed too. I have Xtreme theme on my phone, just the status bar, do you think that has to do anything?

I couldn't tell ya man, it's kinda depressing but i might used the leaked with clockwork seeing how i backed up my rom so i can "roll back" if needed. I wish the bootloader program would have a option to "delete" till you ran it again >_>;

Upvote 0
So I ended up doing a system restore and nothing changed. I still had the Ninja from the Superuser app icon.

I took my phone to the verzion store and they did there own system restore, then retried to download/install 2.2

it didnt work. when trying to install the phone would flash a triangle with an "!" inside of it (error message) and just restart normally.

The tech ordered me a new phone and i have to send the old one back. before I do that I have to remove the ninja.

That is normal, you missed the last steps here (How to: Return DROID X Back to Android 2.1 - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

Upvote 0

What did you do to your phone before going to verizon, I'm thinking of doing that thursday and I don't want them to know I rooted it (seeing how they say it will void your warrenty).

Upvote 0
Let me know if it worked because I'm set up to use it now, just gotta get back to my dorm. But going by that quote it sound like you didn't use a .sbf

Yes, I did use an .SBF and it did work. I was on 2.1 stock as if it was a new phone. Follow the instructions in that link, especially the ones which come after the SBF process finishes.

Reactions: Arehexes
Upvote 0
Yes, I did use an .SBF and it did work. I was on 2.1 stock as if it was a new phone. Follow the instructions in that link, especially the ones which come after the SBF process finishes.

ok thanks, i'll do it as soon as i get to my dorm(phone is charging, files and programs are set up). I'm ready to beat this stupid thing *roar*.:D Once again thank you thank you thank you for confirming this for me

Upvote 0
I'm beginning to feel similarly. I'm on the leaked 2.3.9 build and that's where I'll stay until people smarter than I work things out. Motorola is being unnecessarily hostile to the mod community with absolutely no benefit to them. The ablility to load ROMs and remove bloat harms them in no way. Root's already out of the bag again, so if they were hoping to stop tethering, then they've already FAILED. This jihad against modders serves no purpose, but at least we know why the update took so long... they were implementing draconian "security" fixes.

Here something funny. I was over on Motos site and saw a mod post this in defense of moto policy

The Mod says
I would say that sabotage is a secret effort to undermine your efforts vs. an open one. A locked door to a high-voltage electrical plant is not sabotage. An unlocked, booby-trapped door with no warning signs would be.

I posted this "Sounds like it fits your definition of sabotage to a tee. They had to know this would happen and there was/is "secret effort" to undermine the mod community. And not having warned anyone that you changed the keys is tantamount to a "booby-trapped door with no warning signs""

Well almost.. the post is now heavily edited. I pointed out the new keys
and signatures causing people to brick their phone because no one had warned anyone sounded like it fit his definition of sabotage to tee (see above)

I then said if i missed that post please point me to it...All that was cut out along with a part about the sbf file. And then he locked the thread and showed me the rules LOL

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones