• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

2.2 Update - HTC Confirms Major Problems

My battery life yesterday after the update had many of they symptoms I'm reading about.
I was at work and my battery was nearly dead..... when I would get in the car to charge it, I would also try to catch up on my texting etc and I seemed to lose ground rather than gain.... but the whole battery gauge seemed screwed up then.

Since I've charged overnight things are fine...
but I have took everything out of my ATK autokill list and even unchecked the tick for it to run automatically.. I figure if I need it, I'll turn it on to kill a jammed app.

I also feel that it runs better after the dust has settled and I"ve done a couple or reboots...... no factory reset for me.

I run aquarium donation as my live background and I have seven full pages on my home screens and all runs fine.

Upvote 0
Charge your phone with it OFF. Then bump charge twice.
I unplugged my phone TWELVE hours ago and I have 60% battery left.
So basically get 24 hrs. At first I was kicking and screaming thinking the update killed my battery but realized its because the day I was update I charged with the phone ON. If I charge my phone while it is ON the battery drops 10% in an hour.
Today I took a 2 hour trip. The phone sat on my lap. I made one phone call and sent a few texts during my drive. When I reached my destination I was at 95%!!
Through out today I sent numerous texts, took pictures and used Foot Print with GPS on.
I also think its all in the settings.

Upvote 0
for the love of god people, STOP preaching factory resets!

this is JUST LIKE the Eris board now. "oh got a problem? yeah? any random problem? kay, factory reset. it's the solution to all of the questions of life. we swear."

SERIOUSLY, you people have to realize FACTORY RESET DOESN'T ALWAYS HELP. when i had my eris, it made my problems WORSE than before the damn reset. I reset my incred after getting 2.2 and NOTHING was fixed.

realize that there are people with problems out there, and people with shotty battery life now, and a factory reset IS NOT THE ANSWER.

as zemerick stated, there's probably a rogue app somewhere, hence why factory ressetting looks like the answer: you're deleting all your apps.
Doing a factroy reset hasn't worked for everybody.....but it has worked. It is the last resort to fixing the battery issue along with the bugs that came with the update because there were many on here complaining about lagging, apps closings, functions start running by itself and doing a factory reset fixed those bugs. It worked for me because I had those same problems. And doing a factory reset fixed those problems and now I have better battery life. So please don't shoot down something has worked for a lot users on here. I'll say it again. Factory reset is the last resort in fixing the bugs that came with the update.:cool:

Upvote 0
I was only getting about 10 hours before the update. I have exchange active sync, Gmail, yahoo mail and comcast running through HTC mail. After the update, it dropped to about 6 hours.

Wierdest thing, today I had it on for 12 hours and was still over 50% remaining. I charged it all night with it on, then I turned it off and left it plugged in. The main thing I noticed different was the Awake vs Stand by times. Today it was awake less then 3 hours of the 12 it was on. Normally it was running awake about 60% of the time (on for 8 hrs, awake for just under 5 hrs). Is there an app that allows you to see what is keeping the phone awake? That would narrow down peoples problems greatly.

I also think HTC put gremlins in these phones to drive people nuts.

Upvote 0
Reluctantly did a factory reset. Problem not solved. Not so simple for everyone.,

Have had significant battery drain sinve OTA 2.2. Using the 1750 battery and could get thru 8-12 hours, depending on usage. Was getting 4-6 hours after 2.2 update. Did the factory reset, still getting 4-6 hours.

Plus the factory reset is a PIA for me (config for work email, redownloading apps, re-configuring everything, etc.).

I also did a factory reset and it didn't help my battery immediately. But after a couple of battery cycles, it's much better. Took off charge at 7 a.m. today and it's sitting at 10% at 11:29 pm with moderate use today.

Upvote 0
Thought I'd chime in with my $.02 worth...

I use a 1500mAh OEM battery that I picked up on Amazon a few months ago for fifteen bucks. My battery life was pretty much the same as it was with the stock 1300mAh battery that came with the phone with only a minor bump in battery life between the two. When I'd wake up in the morning, my phone would be on for approximately the next 15-17 hours with moderate to heavy usage (calls, texts, internet, games, Pandora). By the end of that time, my battery was ALWAYS "in the red" with around 15% - or less - of battery life remaining. However, it's worth noting, that I ALWAYS turn my phone off at night to charge it. (I highly recommend doing that, if you're able to).

Then came Froyo, two days ago. My phone "up time" today is 14 hours and 45 minutes, with an "awake time" of 8 hours and 30 minutes. By now (pre-Froyo) I'd be at approximately 30% (or less) battery life remaining. However, I am currently sitting at 58%! This is roughly TWICE as much battery life remaining as pre-Froyo! I have done NOTHING different with my phone than I would any other day. I don't use a task killer (I tried that a couple of months ago - all that stupid thing does is sit there all day, pinging your CPU needlessly, eating away at your battery in the process) and I avoid the "known killers," such as live wallpaper, and setting my email notification to be received "every hour" instead of "as they arrive."

My thought process is that these system updates are designed to enhance the performance of your phone's CPU and to give you better battery life in the process. However, I also feel that I am in the minority of Incredible owners who are able to charge their phone at night, EVERY night, with it turned off. That might have a lot to do with it all. So if you are frustrated with your phone's battery performance, let the battery run down as low as possible at least once or twice a month, and charge it back to 100% when it's turned off whenever possible. I'd BET that you'd get better battery longevity even if you do nothing else!

Upvote 0
Just found one thing I never noticed before thats new with 2.2.

If you go to accounts and sync, scroll all the way down and you will see "news", "Stocks", and "weather".. none of which I use but yet they kept coming on..... thats because they were set to sync by default......... turn those off and "walla"... Hopefully they won't run in the background now.....

Upvote 0
i haven't seen an official confirmation from htc or verizon of any of the "confirmed problems" mentioned in this thread. to be honest, i'm more inclined to think whatever the csr said was done just to appease a customer.

anyway...my battery life after 2.2 is at least as what the battery was with 2.1. here's some screnshots of my uptime (time since last charge) and display time on, which is an indicator of how much i actively used the phone since it's been unplugged. this is with a 1750 battery and coming off an overnight charge...none of that bump charge.. just unplug and go.

CAP2010090322592.jpg

CAP2010090323021.jpg

Upvote 0
Charge your phone with it OFF. Then bump charge twice.
I unplugged my phone TWELVE hours ago and I have 60% battery left.
So basically get 24 hrs. At first I was kicking and screaming thinking the update killed my battery but realized its because the day I was update I charged with the phone ON. If I charge my phone while it is ON the battery drops 10% in an hour.
Today I took a 2 hour trip. The phone sat on my lap. I made one phone call and sent a few texts during my drive. When I reached my destination I was at 95%!!
Through out today I sent numerous texts, took pictures and used Foot Print with GPS on.
I also think its all in the settings.

One thing, please do not drive and text :(

Upvote 0
I'm finding the battery life markedly better with 2.2 than 2.1.

Initially as an experiment, I removed my Seidio extended battery and returned to stock (when immediately after the update, Battery Left showed the battery running down at a precipitous rate; probably a function of the need to completely recalibrate after the update).

I reinstalled my stock 1300 mAmp battery, started calibration, and found that after bump charging the unit, I can go from about 7:30 a.m. until midnight with normal use, by which point it's at around 20%.

That's good enough for me when I'm not travelling; when I am I'll return to the Seidio.

Upvote 0
Other than it being a pain to restore everything is there any potential downside to doing a reset? I can't say for sure if my Dinc is any better or worse since the update. I have my apps backed up and I have a data backup set created with Mybackup. I'm willing to go for the factory reset as long as there are no other concerns.

Thoughts?

Upvote 0
Not an option for everyone, unfortunately.

I can imagine the look of bemusement on my managers face when I tell him that I didn't respond to getting paged since my phone was being bump charged. :cool:

Hmm, could you bump charge while on the way to work using a car charger? Obviously, I know this wouldn't work if you don't have a car charger or use public transportation, just a thought :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones