• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Big Changes at Android Forums

i have a thought.....we should have a facebook page. i know that in the past people have suggested this, but i think it is a good idea to do. not only it is good for the site, but also it might help to let forum members know when the site is going to be down and when it is back and running.

thoughts????

Upvote 0
Is Facebook still a big thing? I don't have a Facebook account. Never needed one. I think every episode of MTV Catfish has hacked or stolen pic from Facebook. If your account or Facebook is hacked your address, email and phone number are taken.

Is there some other place a note could be posted? Currently when it's down a page say it will be back soon

Just my 2 cents.

Upvote 0
The following is my 2 cents and probably not worth that:

Facebook isn't what it was 10 years ago, that's for sure. The old adage "you have to be on Facebook because everyone is on Facebook" is no longer the case and hasn't been for years. Even X-Twitter's value has plummeted in the last year. While alternative social media is growing, the traffic numbers of Gab are higher than all of them combined. As legacy social media continues to punish users for violating (mysterious and ever-changing) "community standards", there's a mass exodus toward sites like Gab, where there's one community standard: the U.S. Constitutional First Amendment guarantee of freedom of speech. Plus, there's a large number of tech enthusiast groups there: Gab Ads can place ads in front of our target audience.

If we're going to have a social media presence, let's do two things:

(1) - figure out who we are and what we do. This is the Boss' job... are the The Daily Net? The Early Bird Club? The Early Bird Daily Caught in the Net? Once we have a definitive name & mission statement, along with parameters on what content will be hosted and how, we can expand our footprint.

(2) - don't put all our eggs in one basket. Having a Facebook page doesn't mean much anymore.
Just PLEASE don't get on TikTok!

The following is my 2 cents and probably not worth that:

Facebook isn't what it was 10 years ago, that's for sure. The old adage "you have to be on Facebook because everyone is on Facebook" is no longer the case and hasn't been for years. Even X-Twitter's value has plummeted in the last year. While alternative social media is growing, the traffic numbers of Gab are higher than all of them combined. As legacy social media continues to punish users for violating (mysterious and ever-changing) "community standards", there's a mass exodus toward sites like Gab, where there's one community standard: the U.S. Constitutional First Amendment guarantee of freedom of speech. Plus, there's a large number of tech enthusiast groups there: Gab Ads can place ads in front of our target audience.

If we're going to have a social media presence, let's do two things:

(1) - figure out who we are and what we do. This is the Boss' job... are the The Daily Net? The Early Bird Club? The Early Bird Daily Caught in the Net? Once we have a definitive name & mission statement, along with parameters on what content will be hosted and how, we can expand our footprint.

(2) - don't put all our eggs in one basket. Having a Facebook page doesn't mean much anymore.
Just PLEASE don't get on TikTok!

Truth Social. That's the happnin' thing now. (runs)

• Haha
Reactions: The_Chief
Upvote 0
I ceased using Facebook for many reasons, the biggest of which was that every vegan page got brigaded by non-vegan trolls, and if you said anything the Zuck didn't like your comment would go POOF even if it was relevant to the discussion.

That and broken two-factor authentication that locked me out because the phone number tied to my account hasn't existed for a decade plus by this point.

It has credit for two things in my life, I met my girlfriend there, and FarmVille. Everyone who was everyone was doing the FarmVille in 2010. I was using Flash 9 unofficially via Firefox 2.x on Windows 98 SE at the time, as I'm not one of the many who liked Windows XP. In fact, I hated Windows XP and still do. Any time I turn on someone's PC and it's got Windows XP on it, or see an ATM rebooting and having the Windows XP startup logo, I cringe and relive the bad times when PCs were taking 30 minutes to boot, it nagging endlessly about 'your system is at risk' and so on, and the many BSoD's. I know everyone hated Vista, but I thought Vista was such a breath of fresh air compared to XP.

I can login today on my old account, but the site has changed so much, most of my friends have different names/profile pictures so I no longer know who's who anymore, and I don't do change well, so I promptly logged out. Have zero intention of returning.

You wanna know what I miss? Google+. It was miles better than Facebook. I would try Gab and Minds but I think I'd feel about as popular there as a deer in a deer hunting convention. The one time I lurked on Gab it was full of people I want no association with. Ya know, the types who are into Alex Jones and Joe Rogan and wacky conspiracies.

Upvote 0
I approve of free speech obviously (a conservative by nature myself) but all I ever got was posts promoting white supremacy and Alex Jones. I failed to find a single vegan page. People there are pretty negative towards the concept of being vegan. There's limited views there. I might as well be on R/The_Donald on reddit. I just felt uncomfortable. Like if I revealed I was vegan I'd get nothin' but hate.

It should be possible to be fully-first amendment and still have open mind.

Reactions: PitCarver
Upvote 0
It also allows breeding grounds for misinformation and hate, as well as confirmation bias. Hate gays, vegans, blacks and the environment? there's a Subreddit for that, and possibly a few Facebook echo chambers to choose.

At least back in the day society would isolate themselves from those kinds of creeps so the worst they could do was rant in their trailer in the boonies. Today, the internet allows their words to get out to others, and that's not a good thing.

Upvote 0
Hehe I was never affected by the 'outages'. It was fine if you used Internet Explorer 8 LOL. It was just another example of a stupid browser (Google Chrome/Edge cough sputter cough) with far too much idiot proofing thinking that a site was unsafe when in reality it was perfectly fine and just blacklisting any attempt to load the site.

There are so many false positives I come across with a modern browser that I just disable all of that garbage in settings if possible or just cling to an older browser just in case. A good example is when Edge deletes downloads that it thinks is 'unsafe' when it was paid software from Stardock (WindowBlinds)

I'm an adult, I can make decisions and take risks for myself if I deem them necessary. I don't need anyone trying to hold my hand, and definitely oppose software's attempts to protect me from myself.

Upvote 0
I was never affected by any outage. I was using IE 11 and 8, and Firefox 3.x from 2010. Unaffected. Any 'modern' browser blacklisted the site for being 'malicious' which was a total lie. It's happened more than once, too.

I always keep old browsers in tow (not just for the better UI) just in the off chance a site I commonly visit plays that game on me. It happens across many. Old browsers don't try to treat me like some idiot who never used a computer. I've been around computers since FORTRAN and CP/M.

I still deal with Firefox (modern Quantum) declaring 'this site is untrusted' which cannot in any way be disabled. I'm always having to click 'accept the risks' which are bunk in the first place. On many well-known sites such as 'ask.ubuntu' forums. All because the internet declared war on HyperText Strict Transport Security for some asinine reason.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones