• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root 2.3 OTA Update w/ Rooted EVO vs an Unrooted Evo

Hi I'm new here and I wanted to post on this because I have a rooted evo and I want to upgrade to GB. I think I got the overall part of upgrading from rooted 2.2 to rooted 2.3 but just to be on the safe side I'm going to post the steps that I understand. I rooted using Unrevoked 3.

I already have a nandroid backup on my sd card and computer through CWM

1) I go to XDA download rooted and odexed 4.22.651.2 (prefer the simpler one).

2) Save that file to the root of my SD Card.

3) Power down then turn phone back (press volume down + power)

4) Go to recovery wipe data in factory reset, wipe cache, wipe dalvik.

5) Then install zip from sd card. Highlight supersonic 4.22, yest to install. (This is where I'm confused) GB should install then and there right?

6) Reboot system and then go through the entire process of starting up phone like if I had just bought it. Right?

I'm trying to find out the most information I can because I've been told that using unrevoked was not a good idea because I can't download different roms.

welcome to the forums!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
you are dead on with everything you posted. i would also mention that you should use Calkulin's_FORMAT_ALL.zip. it just wipes does the wipe again. just flashed that prior to flashing your rom.

and yes it is definitely not a good idea to unroot. because you will not gain root again until a new exploit is found with the new hboot.

Reactions: AndroidSerpent
Upvote 0
Ok I have spent way too much time doing this. I have a rooted phone using unrevoked 3 and have downloaded 4.22.651.2 easy one. Now how and the hell do you get it to your phone from there? Please help me. Give me some detailed instructions. I have already done the backup but not real familiar with winzip?

Thank You

welcome to the forums!!!!!!!!!!
1.basically you transfer the file over to your sd card via usb cable.
2.go into recovery (power off then press and hold power+vol down) you most likely have to uncheck fastboot first.(phone settings/applications/and uncheck fastboot)
3.this will get you to hboot(bootloader) select recovery
4.select backup and restore and select backup to make a nandroid backup
5.wipe system,dalvik cache and cache
6.select install .zip from sdcard
7. after it finishes flashing select reboot

now the first boot should take a bit longer then normal as your phone has to build up dalvik cache.

hope that helps

Upvote 0
ok so connect your phone to the computer via usb. a window on your phone will pop up select disk drive. after a few seconds a window should pop on your computer with your content of your sd card. move your rom's .zip file over to your sd card. i always put mine on the top level (no folder) of the sd card. but you can create a folder if you choose to. once your transfer is finished then on your phone select from disk drive to charge only. once the window for your sd card is gone on your computer you can disconnect the usb cable. now you are ready to flash your rom.

Upvote 0
I would get astro file manager or es file manager from the market and search for the downloaded update and delete it so it cant be accidentally used.

or just clearing it and performing the root method should just work.

Sorta did the same thing Cadillac did (on page 7); I don't know what happened, my location (timezone) and such went super crazy, and then the update just started to download. Since I already have rooted my phone (Unrevoked3) and have never updated this way before, I have no idea what's going on.

Now the "Install anytime!" notification is stuck at the top of my notifications bar; I tap and it starts to install.

My question is now twofold:
If I want a rooted phone, should I install update and attempt to root later? (I heard this won't be an option, but some of the terms I'm not savvy with and got confused).

Two: How can I get that notification out of the notification bar? I don't know what to search for (file name?) or where to look. Or what program to look for. Any help is much appreciated; you guys helped me out a lot when I learned to root the phone in the first place.

Upvote 0
Ok it has finished downloading but I cannot get it out of the download manager in windows. How do I get it so I can move it to the phone? When I started to download it i asked it to be sent to my desktop. does the zip file have anything to do with it? All it allows me to do is to open it and then winzip opens. Is it the boot file I want?

Thx

Upvote 0
Sorta did the same thing Cadillac did (on page 7); I don't know what happened, my location (timezone) and such went super crazy, and then the update just started to download. Since I already have rooted my phone (Unrevoked3) and have never updated this way before, I have no idea what's going on.

Now the "Install anytime!" notification is stuck at the top of my notifications bar; I tap and it starts to install.

My question is now:
If I want a rooted phone, should I install update and attempt to root later? (I heard this won't be an option, but some of the terms I'm not savvy with and got confused).

Well, I got it out of the notification bar. Turned off phone, took out battery. Turned back on; phone asked again if I wanted to download/install/whatever update, and I hit the button saying "DISCARD." Asked me if I wanted to remove update and I said yes.

Voila.

BUT I still need help figuring out what is up with this update. Will I be able to/should I get this Gingerbread update later on and still have root?

Upvote 0
Well, I got it out of the notification bar. Turned off phone, took out battery. Turned back on; phone asked again if I wanted to download/install/whatever update, and I hit the button saying "DISCARD." Asked me if I wanted to remove update and I said yes.

Voila.

BUT I still need help figuring out what is up with this update. Will I be able to/should I get this Gingerbread update later on and still have root?

You can download and install the odex stock rooted rom here: [ROM][STOCK] --- Version 4.22.651.2 --- Odexed & De-Odexed --- - xda-developers

It is the same as the OTA minus the hboot change and radio update. If you want the radio update you can get a flashable zip here: [ Radios ][ 6-3 ] All EVO Radio, WiMAX, PRI, NV & HBoot versions - xda-developers

Always make a nandroid before you make changes and make sure you have at least one that backs up Wimax(CWM default, Amon RA optional)

Reactions: Mr. Ed
Upvote 0
You can download and install the odex stock rooted rom here: [ROM][STOCK] --- Version 4.22.651.2 --- Odexed & De-Odexed --- - xda-developers

It is the same as the OTA minus the hboot change and radio update. If you want the radio update you can get a flashable zip here: [ Radios ][ 6-3 ] All EVO Radio, WiMAX, PRI, NV & HBoot versions - xda-developers

Always make a nandroid before you make changes and make sure you have at least one that backs up Wimax(CWM default, Amon RA optional)

Thanks so much! I'm really really slow today (no sleep), so sorry if I'm asking exceptionally dumb things...

So that version (4.22.651.2) is the newest Gingerbread update that came out 6/6? And once I flash this, I'll be "up to date" etc?

I'm going to have to re-read the Rooting for Dummies post and see if I can remember how to make a nandroid. :p Right now I can barely remember how to turn on the phone.

OH YEAH, because I used the Rooting for Dummies guide, I used Unrevoked3. However, later in the guide it says Unrevoked3 automatically comes with Unrevoked Forever. Doesn't Unrevoked Forever mean your phone will still be rooted after updates like Gingerbread? Do I even technically HAVE Unrevoked Forever? SO confused. ><

Upvote 0
I did the update and now have 2.3.3, but i deleted all my apps...

I'm new to this... Is there any way to get those back? I did a backup, just not sure where to go to get those back?

Thanks in advance
went back to the titanium backup app and restored all my apps, just have to click install on each one as it pops up... Hope that's what I was supposed to do!

Upvote 0
I did the update and now have 2.3.3, but i deleted all my apps...

I'm new to this... Is there any way to get those back? I did a backup, just not sure where to go to get those back?

Thanks in advance
went back to the titanium backup app and restored all my apps, just have to click install on each one as it pops up... Hope that's what I was supposed to do!

Welcome to the Forums:D

If you are talking market apps then yes, you can either download the apps again from TB or redownload them from the market

Upvote 0
Welcome to the Forums:D

If you are talking market apps then yes, you can either download the apps again from TB or redownload them from the market

Thanks!... I am using the Stock Rom and I didn't flash the radios?!?!

should I still do that? or does it matter now that I have installed everything back onto my phone? (hopefully I'm asking the right questions!)

Upvote 0
Thanks!... I am using the Stock Rom and I didn't flash the radios?!?!

should I still do that? or does it matter now that I have installed everything back onto my phone? (hopefully I'm asking the right questions!)

You don't have to install the new radios if you don't want to. If you have good reception and signal that you are happy with, I wouldn't bother updating the radio.

Upvote 0
Interesting. So you verified you had s-on when you did this? I have seen posts about people trying to use an ruu to get back to an earlier version with s-on and it wouldn't work.

Sorry about not clerifying that, after accidentally updating, i still had S-OFF the same as it was, but i lost root privledges and was not able to run programs like TB * root and whatnot...but after the accidental update, it did not set S-ON.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones