• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Extr3m1st

Dec 12, 2009
Is there a good way for me to use my Droid to read books? I presently use an IPOD touch and the kindle reader app but I was thinking on selling it. Do any of you use the Droid as a book reader? If so what app do you use and where do you order books that can be used with that apps reader?

Also I know you can play videos on the Droid. If I wanted to put my own ripped movies on the Droid can I do that? Does the droid recognise XVID or Mpeg? What movie player would I need to use? I have a whole bunch of tv dvd's that I want to rip and watch on the train. TIA..

Is there a good way for me to use my Droid to read books? I presently use an IPOD touch and the kindle reader app but I was thinking on selling it. Do any of you use the Droid as a book reader? If so what app do you use and where do you order books that can be used with that apps reader?

Also I know you can play videos on the Droid. If I wanted to put my own ripped movies on the Droid can I do that? Does the droid recognise XVID or Mpeg? What movie player would I need to use? I have a whole bunch of tv dvd's that I want to rip and watch on the train. TIA..

Disregard what the prior poster said. There are plenty of good ebook readers for Droid. Some are free. Just download until you find one you like (as far as ebook readers, it seems to be pretty subjective...Read the comments for each one)...

For playing your dvds, would be easier (and you'll get better quality) from converting to .mp4. There are guides in the "How To" forum. Doesn't take too long on a semi-modern pc (pretty quick on my E6600).

If your hellbent on xvid, then you can pay for YXFlash (search in market). Either that or PM me and I can send you an APK for a chinese player that can play xvid/divx. It's all in chinese (the software), but doesn't take much to figure out which buttons do what...

Upvote 0
I like to use Aldiko, and then I downloaded a different eReader for DRM'd content. The eReader doesn't appear in the market, but you can download it as an .apk. Everything else I use Calibre on my computer to conver to .epub. I put the screen on light green and the text on yellow, and that tends to keep me from eyestrain.

Upvote 0
+1 for Aldiko

And to the OP: I'd say take the plunge. Ditch the iTouch and get the Droid. I decided to do exactly that a few months ago, and I'm quite happy with my decision. :) About the videos, there are some specific formats the Droid supports, just make sure you find a converter that works for Droid and don't convert your whole video collection at once. Convert one and try it to make sure it works before you convert the rest.

Upvote 0
Excellent, thanks for the advice. If I convert video to .mp4 where would I put them? Do I just make a folder on the SD card and then my Droid can play it right off the card?

Also where do you guys buy your books from? If I use Aldiko what online store sells books that will work with that program? I want to be able to read Star Trek and Steven King books. I already do that with the Itouch and it works great with the Kindle App. This screen on the Droid is plenty big enough to read a book IMO.

Upvote 0
Lots of freew books available for download from inside aldiko, also newsgroups.

Excellent, thanks for the advice. If I convert video to .mp4 where would I put them? Do I just make a folder on the SD card and then my Droid can play it right off the card?

Also where do you guys buy your books from? If I use Aldiko what online store sells books that will work with that program? I want to be able to read Star Trek and Steven King books. I already do that with the Itouch and it works great with the Kindle App. This screen on the Droid is plenty big enough to read a book IMO.

Upvote 0

Yeah, you can just save the movies to your SD card. I use videora for android to convert them. As to books you can buy them from fictionwise.com (although you might need the eReader in addition to Aldiko if you buy the books in protected formats.) You'll be able to see which format every bookhas available. Aldiko will only read ePub. When you download the book, place it in eBooks/import and Aldiko will let you import it by pressing menu in Aldiko's home screen.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones