• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
Well like I said I can go on and on but I will give one example

History = his + story what about her story? Or the the person across the roads story?

I mean come on how do we truely know especially space? How far has an actual man been into space to give yet again his-story we are relying on computers to tell us what's going on, abd who made these computers?

History has nothing to do with his story, I believe you'll find a Greek word at its root, historia.

And the speed of light isn't a speed.

http://androidforums.com/lounge/232523-hang-tight-speed-light.html#post1972035

Upvote 0
History has nothing to do with his story, I believe you'll find a Greek word at its root, historia.

I've had a few challenges trying to explain that here and there, EM. Good job in your linked post!

It doesn't help that science fiction writers and even "journalists" often give us scenarios wherein a rocket ship has special accelerators which can enable it to travel at certain percentages of the speed of light, this cutting the travel time to a distant star, etc, by that percentage.

More explanation is needed. I want to know how many Louis L'amour novels I'm going to need to tide me over on my trip to the distant side of M31. :D

Upvote 0
... Maybe the Mayan calendar predicted the end of the world on planets around that star. :)
Maybe because that was the system the Mayans came from?

#1 how do we know light travels at same speed everywhere in space..we can be told this but how do we truely know...
What if were proclaimed as true by God?

...I can think with book smarts...
You say you can, but where's your proof?!?

...what about her story?...
A woman's, WTF does handbags and shoes have to do with astrophysics?

...Or the the person across the roads story?...
Not sure Tony's story is relevant either??

...How far has an actual man been into space...
...or to put it the other way; how far through space did man come to get to Earth???

And thats where I finish my debate closed minded people cannot discuss such open minded topics.
Or maybe they can, if only you were open to that possibility.

:p

It should prove to be a spectacular event to witness but I don't think you need to run out tomorrow for additional sun block.
Hopefully it'll coincide just right with the seasons to give weeks of extra sunshine, and an awesome vintage year for wines :) and a good melon harvest... I love big melons ( . )( . )

Upvote 0

I understand the root of history..but look at what history really is. Its a someone(s) version of what happened at a certian time. I just wanted to clear up that I understand where the word comes from but that wasnt my meaning. But now like I said Im done. I really love this place and think I help out quiet a bit in the device forum that I use and do not want to compromise getting to use it over a silly debate on a thread that was started to humor, as : "vegas on acid" and "frisco" were able to understand. I really do like everyone on here but I have a different outlook on believing everything that schools/educational books have to say. So in that I want to just leave it alone. I would like to take time to apologize if I have upset anyone and say I hope everyone has a great day :D

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
I have a different outlook on believing everything that schools/educational books have to say.

I think that is a healthy approach.

Sorting it all takes a lot of time, probably more time than the average person has to spare. ;)

Perhaps some day there will be a history app that lets us view it on our (probably Android ;)) devices as it was actually happening.

Reactions: davidnmegan6907
Upvote 0
david - Wasn't intending to rag on you about the word history, apologies if I worded that poorly. I always point that out - many people actually believe that's how that word was formed. I did your get your point - it's a point of view, not necessarily the truth but a working theory.

The light thing I thought you'd find interesting.

There are some things in educational books that deserve questioning. The scientific laws of the universe that have been tested for (sometimes) hundreds of years don't need questioning.

How will we advance if we don't? That's how we got string theory, m-theory and a lot of other interesting stuff.

Reactions: davidnmegan6907
Upvote 0
How will we advance if we don't? That's how we got string theory, m-theory and a lot of other interesting stuff.

If you come up with a new hypothesis and new research and want to re-visit universally held constants in light of that new hypothesis/research that's one thing. To question a universal constant just for the sake of questioning it is quite asinine. The beauty of science is that we can know things for certain. That's the beauty in the scientific method. If properly applied, it reveals truth.

Upvote 0
Yeah - my daughter and her coworkers say the same thing about the importance of protein outcomes when discussing gene sequencing, and I barely follow their conversations as it is.

Just saying, obvious to one is obscure to another.

Fair enough I guess. I think it says something about our educational system. To me it's something that should be basic high school science. Don't ask me to do any gene sequencing stuff. I tried that once and it didn't end well. Ended up with a kid who could shoot lasers out of his eyes and another guy with freaking claws. Scary stuff.

Upvote 0
There are some things in educational books that deserve questioning. The scientific laws of the universe that have been tested for (sometimes) hundreds of years don't need questioning.

In the realm of science, always be a bit skepticle. For hundreds of years the beliefs of Aristotle was the norm in the science world until Galileo started really challenging those beliefs with his different way of thinking. For scientific theories like evolution though... its a safe bet to call it fact considering that there is really no substantial evidence on the contrary. But still... something could be discovered 100 years from now that changes how the world view things, like with Newtons and Einsteins findings. :)

Upvote 0
The beauty of science is that we can know things for certain. That's the beauty in the scientific method. If properly applied, it reveals truth.

Personally I think the beauty of science is that we can never be sure we know anything for certain. I'm pretty sure there has been serious debate about whether the speed of light, and other physical constants, have changed over time, or if they change with location on a cosmological scale.

"Learn from science that you must doubt the experts!" - Richard Feynman

[Edit - a bit off topic, but this thread got me thinking about weird physics]

Back in the late 70s or early 80s the SF writer Philip K Dick kept a diary called his "Exegesis" in which he rambles on quite a bit about the universe being a hologram. Extracts from it are at the end of his novel Valis. PKD often claimed that the stuff he wrote in his Exegesis came from visions he was having.

Then in the mid nineties, guess what, physicists Gerard't Hooft and Leonard Susskind came up with the theory that quantum mechanics and gravity can be reconciled more easily if the universe is thought of as a hologram ('t Hooft won the Nobel prize in 1999 before anyone cries fringe science!).

Not sure what point I'm trying to make but as PKD fan this always struck me as a bit weird and plus one for the crazy SF writers! :)

Upvote 0
Still off topic but... there's a really good article on arstechnica today that does a nice job of explaining the holographic principle, the physics of black holes, and why gravity might turn out to be a fictitious force. Interesting reading if you're into all things physics. Very balanced too as it gives some of the counter arguments as well.

Is gravity not actually a force? Forcing theory to meet experiments

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones