• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

399.99 confirmed

So to follow-up on what was a pretty crappy experience. . . yesterday I was bitching about pricing at the ATT stores. Turned out there's some serious shadiness going on in the stores locally in the bay area district.

I spoke with someone int he Premier team at corporate, and they confirmed what most on here had said, that I should be able to go in and buy with no strings attached for $399. They also noted that it states such on the price tag, and that the stores were actually violating the law if they refuse to honor the pricing on the tag.

They said the issue was a store could technically MAKE me provision it on to my account (all the while not extending the contract), so I couldn't just buy it and take it home if they wanted to be sticklers...

But at the end of the day apparently a memo went out to the teams in the SF Bay area and they were told they're required to sell it for the $399 provided people meet the basic requirements, etc...

Too little too late tho. I went into RadioShack, and they were super cool. they not only sold it for the $399, with NO account info, but they said they felt bad, and let me use a 10% off coupon, making it only $360 out the door.

I'm quite pleased with it, this is my first Android phone, I've been iPhone for the longest time. All I have to say is I AM SO GLAD I'M NOT AN AT&T CUSTOMER. I hate that company and glad I have no contractual ties to them and don't support their business in ANY way :)

Upvote 0
So to follow-up on what was a pretty crappy experience. . . yesterday I was bitching about pricing at the ATT stores. Turned out there's some serious shadiness going on in the stores locally in the bay area district.

I spoke with someone int he Premier team at corporate, and they confirmed what most on here had said, that I should be able to go in and buy with no strings attached for $399. They also noted that it states such on the price tag, and that the stores were actually violating the law if they refuse to honor the pricing on the tag.

They said the issue was a store could technically MAKE me provision it on to my account (all the while not extending the contract), so I couldn't just buy it and take it home if they wanted to be sticklers...

But at the end of the day apparently a memo went out to the teams in the SF Bay area and they were told they're required to sell it for the $399 provided people meet the basic requirements, etc...

Too little too late tho. I went into RadioShack, and they were super cool. they not only sold it for the $399, with NO account info, but they said they felt bad, and let me use a 10% off coupon, making it only $360 out the door.

I'm quite pleased with it, this is my first Android phone, I've been iPhone for the longest time. All I have to say is I AM SO GLAD I'M NOT AN AT&T CUSTOMER. I hate that company and glad I have no contractual ties to them and don't support their business in ANY way :)

so no apology for acting like a stubborn douche know-it-all and being completely wrong?

Upvote 0
so no apology for acting like a stubborn douche know-it-all and being completely wrong?

Clearly MANY have posted difficulties getting stores to sell outright, and if even the Premier group acknowledged the region was doing something it wasn't supposed to do, there's an issue. Notice I DIDN'T end up buying from AT&T because stores in the region were NOT selling without contract.

Upvote 0
Clearly MANY have posted difficulties getting stores to sell outright, and if even the Premier group acknowledged the region was doing something it wasn't supposed to do, there's an issue. Notice I DIDN'T end up buying from AT&T because stores in the region were NOT selling without contract.

what the reps refused to do in your area is irrelevant from you acting like a total tool to people who had ACTUAL, legitimate information and were simply trying to share with us

Upvote 0
what the reps refused to do in your area is irrelevant from you acting like a total tool to people who had ACTUAL, legitimate information and were simply trying to share with us

CLEARLY it's not actual nor legitimate if the ACTUAL store doesn't seem to agree with the info... I work for AT&T... tomorrow we're launching a $5 for unlimited EVERYTHING plan... doesn't make it true just because I say so.

Upvote 0
CLEARLY it's not actual nor legitimate if the ACTUAL store doesn't seem to agree with the info... I work for AT&T... tomorrow we're launching a $5 for unlimited EVERYTHING plan... doesn't make it true just because I say so.

lol you're hopeless.. so the official at&t site showing $399.99 off contract isn't actual or legitimate? people posted actual ads showing the $399.99 price and you still slammed them. this $399.99 comes directly from corporate. your "just kuz you say so" example doesn't even work because the info previous people have given has been PROVEN to be true. just because stores in your area don't seem to like following directions doesn't mean these people (who were RIGHT btw) have false information. just admit you were wrong already and stop looking like a fool.

Upvote 0
lol you're hopeless.. so the official at&t site showing $399.99 off contract isn't actual or legitimate? people posted actual ads showing the $399.99 price and you still slammed them. this $399.99 comes directly from corporate. your "just kuz you say so" example doesn't even work because the info previous people have given has been PROVEN to be true. just because stores in your area don't seem to like following directions doesn't mean these people (who were RIGHT btw) have false information. just admit you were wrong already and stop looking like a fool.

You must be 16 years old... you argue the same way you say is arguing incorrectly. "Just because you say... doesn't make it true" ... just because SOME have been able to get them without activation, doesn't mean EVERYONE has the same luck. Until you produce a receipt from ANY store in the SF Bay area showing it to be the case, from BEFORE 3 pm, then it's just you talking, because I want to several stores. Unfortunately your "policy" doesn't always translate into actual reality.

You may want to search around the forums here as you'll see MANY others nationwide experienced stores refusal to sell at $399 or at all without new\extending contract. But I guess you're right, they must all be wrong.

Upvote 0
You must be 16 years old... you argue the same way you say is arguing incorrectly. "Just because you say... doesn't make it true" ... just because SOME have been able to get them without activation, doesn't mean EVERYONE has the same luck. Until you produce a receipt from ANY store in the SF Bay area showing it to be the case, from BEFORE 3 pm, then it's just you talking, because I want to several stores. Unfortunately your "policy" doesn't always translate into actual reality.

You may want to search around the forums here as you'll see MANY others nationwide experienced stores refusal to sell at $399 or at all without new\extending contract. But I guess you're right, they must all be wrong.

yeah, you're either a troll or a complete moron. like i've been trying to say.. the point is, regardless of what individual stores are trying to charge, the OFFICIAL AT&T PRICE is $399.99. our "insiders" were not wrong and they have proved it like you told them to in another thread. i don't know how much clearer and more "official" it can get than "No Commitment Pricing $399.99" at the top of the inspire's page on the at&t online store: HTC Inspire (TM) 4G* Cell Phone - Wireless from AT&T

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones