• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root 3G mobile hotspot

I have an interesting question.

Now that my computer is connected to my Phone's Wi-Fi network....can I use a file browser on my phone (say ES File Explorer) to view files on my Computer over the network?

A more general version of the question:
Since the computer and phone are now on the same network, can I use app's requiring a Wi-Fi connection between the two devices (phone and computer)?

I am just trying to think of more uses of this Wi-Fi hotspot than just browsing the internet with my computer. Any interesting thoughts on this?

Upvote 0
I have an interesting question.

Now that my computer is connected to my Phone's Wi-Fi network....can I use a file browser on my phone (say ES File Explorer) to view files on my Computer over the network?

A more general version of the question:
Since the computer and phone are now on the same network, can I use app's requiring a Wi-Fi connection between the two devices (phone and computer)?

I am just trying to think of more uses of this Wi-Fi hotspot than just browsing the internet with my computer. Any interesting thoughts on this?

Awesome idea! just tested a little bit it just gives out a 192.168.1.xxx ip addy to the pc, ES scan picked it up. I'll try it at home sometime if someone hasnt already but looks like this should work fine. I've been using this method because it seems way more stable than wireless tether for me. I don't want to mess around with it to much because I rarley use it, i just want it to work when i absolutely NEED it.

Upvote 0
This may be old news, but I'm just posting to confirm that I DO NOT have root, I have the official 2.2 update, and I'm browsing the web using my phone as a 3G hotspot without paying Verizon's exorbitant fees!

For anyone who would have only rooted for the router functionality, you can do it 100% fine and free without it.

What am I doing wrong?

Unrooted stock Incredible, 2.2 from OTA, and I followed the instructions to remove the DUNs...

The laptop WILL connect to the "HTC" wifi network, but it WON'T get to the outside world... it just 404's...

Upvote 0
This works great on my Incredible. No rooting required, but you must have the 2.2 update which enables the 3G Mobile Hotspot on the device.

This supposedly only works on the HTC Incredible.

As the previous posts in this thread explain (step by step):

1. Select "Phone"
2. Dial "##778"
3. Select "Edit Mode" on pop-up dialog box
4. Enter "000000" for Please Enter Password (unless you manually changed your password to something else)
5. Select "Security"
6. Select "S.IP DUN User Name"
7. Delete the "dun." part of the number (ie: it should read as: [yourmobilenumber]@vzw3g.com)
8. Select "OK"
9. Press the "BACK" button
10. Select "M.IP Default Profile"
11. Select "DUN NAI"
12. Delete the ".dun" part of the number (ie: it should read as: [yourmobilenumber]@vzw3g.com)
13. Select "OK"
14. Press the "MENU" button
15. Select "Commit Modifications"
16. The phone will reset
17. Once booted, go into "All Programs", select the "3G Mobile Hotspot", Adjust your "Router Name" and "Password" (if you desire, but recommmended), and change the security to WPA(TKIP) (this is the only setting I've tried so far-other posts said the WPA2 is buggy)
18. Select "3G Mobile Hotspot - Press to turn on" (It will prompt you that you need the Verizon Mobile Hotspot Feature- just hit "Do not remind me again" and "OK") (Also, I am using Windows 7x64, and the wifi picked up the signal right away, but it took a moment to identify-but it connected to the internet cleanly and the connection is fast)
19. Optional: Download "Hotspot Toggle" from the Android Market- it's a widget toggle to turn it on and off- seems to work good.

I checked my Verizon account immediately after using this, and I didn't see that the "3G Mobile Hotspot" feature was added to my plan.

Keep in mind: Verizon may not be checking to see how you're using your Android, but they may check to see how much data you're using through the phone. With how much data that flows through the phone without tethering it to a computer, it would be difficult for Verizon to determine if the data use is coming from the phone or tethering. But mobile hotspot could pull a lot of MB if several people are logged on. Just be cautious. A big spike in data usage could send up a red flag.

NOTE: I did not come up with this theory. I just rewrote it step-by-step due to some confusion I was noticing (hopefully I didn't miss a step).

Upvote 0
x_Prozak_x

The only thing I can figure is a missing step:
Make sure your security setting on the phone and computer match (WPA, TKIP, etc.)
Did you change the default password and/or entered it correctly?

I have a fairly new Toshiba A505 laptop with an i7-quad and a fast wifi card and this connection still takes at least 30-seconds-plus to identify and connect to the internet. Maybe just give it a minute.

If none of this works, provide us with more info: computer, os, phone, etc.

Upvote 0
Is there supposed to be one with a dun in the address?
I think I changed the wrong one. I can connect to it with my laptop
but no internet. I changed two then saved, checked it again
and only one changed, so I must have removed the dun from the
wrong one instead maybe.

Thanks

I just checked my settings, and I don't have anything left with a "dun" after doing the change. I honestly don't remember how many there were before, but within the two settings mentioned in the previous posts I saw no other settings with a "dun".

Try retracing the steps. Maybe something was missed.

Upvote 0
Look, I don't mind paying $30 a month for Sprint's Hotspot service if the phone will do what I hope it will.I have two homes and I am building my retirement home as well. I am currently paying something like $55 a month for home phones and DSL service in each of my homes and will have to add the same service at my retirement home. My question is, does the Hotspot service perform well enough that I could drop my phone service in all three locations since I almost never use the home phone, and use the Hotspot service in all three locations as my primary internet source? $30 a month for legal service for all three locations sure sounds a lot cheaper than $165 a month. But I can't find any comments about the quality of the service as opposed to DSL or cable modem service for internet usage. I would only be using two laptops and maybe a wireless printer in each location. Can anyone give me their opinion of this approach?

Upvote 0
Look, I don't mind paying $30 a month for Sprint's Hotspot service if the phone will do what I hope it will.I have two homes and I am building my retirement home as well. I am currently paying something like $55 a month for home phones and DSL service in each of my homes and will have to add the same service at my retirement home. My question is, does the Hotspot service perform well enough that I could drop my phone service in all three locations since I almost never use the home phone, and use the Hotspot service in all three locations as my primary internet source? $30 a month for legal service for all three locations sure sounds a lot cheaper than $165 a month. But I can't find any comments about the quality of the service as opposed to DSL or cable modem service for internet usage. I would only be using two laptops and maybe a wireless printer in each location. Can anyone give me their opinion of this approach?

FASTER than most DSL but slower than premium cable internet....
can't beat it for a "free" extra feature!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones