• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help 3G to WiFi handoff

Has anyone been having issues with the handoff between 3G and WiFi?

I always leave my WiFi on. When I pull my Xoom out at home, it automatically connects to my network. When I pull it out at work, it's automatically connected to 3G service. No problems.

My coworker also has a Xoom but doesn't experience a smooth hand off. When he gets to the office, when device reports no connection. He has to toggle airplane mode for it to connect to 3G.

I've never experienced this on any Android device I've owned. However, I've read anecdotes from a wide variety of Android device owners that have experienced this. This leads me to believe that it is more of an Android or software-related issue than anything else.

Any insight as to what causes this?

never had this happen on my evo and its not happened on the xoom. your friend could have any number of things going on with his xoom. may just need a cold boot to remove a rogue setting, a bad app installed, etc etc.

has he done any troubleshooting?

has this always happened since day one of the purchase or was it recently?

what about when he gets home? same issue?

what about abroad, out in the wild, starbucks, mcdonalds, etc.. any issues there?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones