• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

3UK 2.1 update news

After following this thread for 2 months (or longer) now, and being on 1.5 with Three, I emailed them. The response was typical from Three, "we are sorry you are having performance issues, please switch your mobile off and on to reset it".

Yeah that will upgrade me!! Useless.

I therefore took the plunge, rooted my hero and applied FroyoVillain rom 2.2.

The handset now flies! and it was the best decision I made.

Upvote 0
rainmaker

i called android they has it and are testing it , it will be sent back to 3 at end of month

and people there is no point asking 3 anything coz they dont have a clue

so to cut it short its with the android team and will be sent back end of month ... end of

I'm sorry but no that's not the end of as you put it, because on the three blog they are saying they will release the update this time next week. So where are they getting that info from? If it comes next week then whatever it is that you have been told was not correct. Right now we just don't know. It could be a week it could be 2 weeks, but this just confuses the issue even more.

Upvote 0
I'm sorry but as 3 user this thread is getting silly now.
It'll be ready when it's ready, simple as and ranting about it, mithering them, HTC anyone isn't gonna help. Just cos the other network's have it doesn't necessarily mean that 3 will *ever* get it; it may not actually arrive full stop.
If you want 2.1 and you're on 3, the only option you have is to do it yourself alas.....

Upvote 0
I'm sorry but as 3 user this thread is getting silly now.
It'll be ready when it's ready, simple as and ranting about it, mithering them, HTC anyone isn't gonna help. Just cos the other network's have it doesn't necessarily mean that 3 will *ever* get it; it may not actually arrive full stop.
If you want 2.1 and you're on 3, the only option you have is to do it yourself alas.....

It's easy for you to say cos you have it. Everyone may not be competant enough to do it themselves, or want to take the risk with the various methods out there. I don't know what you think is good customer service and a commitment to customers, but three have a duty to support the products it sells. It's coming to a point where the hero is losing functionality cos many apps out there require 2.1.

So stop being so arrogant and show some consideration for everyone else out there who have waited patiently, been mislead on many occasions and have not been delivered this crucial update.

Upvote 0
It's easy for you to say cos you have it. Everyone may not be competant enough to do it themselves, or want to take the risk with the various methods out there. I don't know what you think is good customer service and a commitment to customers, but three have a duty to support the products it sells. It's coming to a point where the hero is losing functionality cos many apps out there require 2.1.

So stop being so arrogant and show some consideration for everyone else out there who have waited patiently, been mislead on many occasions and have not been delivered this crucial update.
yes it easy for me to say, but not easier than all the folks complaining they don't have it.
Ask yourself, does your phone work, now? That's all that 3 as a company will care about, lets face it, 2.1 will cost them money and for what? No return at all since they're already pushing the Desire and other android handsets. As long as you can make and receive calls, texts and access Planet 3 and the like, your phone is working as far as they're concerned. 3 have rarely been well know for their CS skills

I think to label me as arrogant is a little unfair. I am getting tired of coming to this thread, keep reading comments, posts from folks, saying, they have heard from source, X, Y and Z about when it is coming, being tested etc etc. Til it arrives, it's not arrived and is just as likely not to.

I agree it is a crucial update in turns of Android functionality but i say again, as a phone, handset it works as it should do, you try and contact Trading Standards over this, see what they say. 3 are doing nothing wrong legally (alas).

Like i say, arrogant is out of line and no need at all, i have helped and offered what little, limited advice i have about this handset and to label me that is unfair.......the thread is your's, as you say, i have 2.1 and i took the risk but i will no longer stop by this thread with comments like that :(

Upvote 0
I am getting tired of coming to this thread, keep reading comments, posts from folks, saying, they have heard from source, X, Y and Z about when it is coming, being tested etc etc.

No one is forcing you to read it, especially as you admit yourself that you've already upgraded by an alternate method. The thread topic makes it pretty clear what the contents are, after all.

Upvote 0
Read the thread title then, it's easy to understand. "three 2.1 news" You have 2.1. I and many others I am sure are happy for you. But when you start coming on here and telling people (since you have the update already) that regardless of our concern and our struggle for information, we should just sit down and shut up and if the updates comes it comes, if it doesn't then it doesn't matter, as the update may never even come. Again I point out (you have 2.1)

So how do you think it looks, with you coming on here and and dismissing everyone else's quest for resolve, whilst bragging that you have it. Again, we are happy for you.

Yes people are weighing in with their bits of information trying to help each other out. Feel free to do so, if not, then use the rest of the forum for people who are discussing 2.1 in action.

We are still waiting.

Upvote 0
rain maker yes they are saying it , but come on 3 are the worst company ever invented and dont have a clue what they are on about .

i just read they said next week , so i yet again called android and they laughed at how 3 are dealing with this and said we are very doubtful of it being next week , more like end of the month

android have it and 3 dont know when its coming back they dont tell android that we want it now and it happens . its all in the hands of the android team

and i also recieved an email from the 3 blog team this morning asking me to contact them to ask about the update as they have no clue and asked me to tell them whats going on lol what a joke 3 company is looks like im doing all their work for em and not getting paid

ps i do NOT have 2.1

Upvote 0
No one is forcing you to read it, especially as you admit yourself that you've already upgraded by an alternate method. The thread topic makes it pretty clear what the contents are, after all.
I know no one is forcing me to read it, i understand that but there is at least one person on the thread who, after taking advice from my experience took the plunge and is now happy based on me reading it.
It is pretty clear what the contents are; subject says "news" topic contains "pure speculation" based on information received from companies, that, let's face it, don't have a clue or just feel the need to provide information to fob folks off. You cannot seriously admit that folks posting information on here, from the 3 Blog, HTC and other sources that, at best is conflicting, at worst giving folks false hope is "news"? If so, then my concept of a forum as this is different to your's or whom ever believes it to be the case that speculation of an unfounded nature is of use.
Read the thread title then, it's easy to understand. "three 2.1 news" You have 2.1. I and many others I am sure are happy for you. But when you start coming on here and telling people (since you have the update already) that regardless of our concern and our struggle for information, we should just sit down and shut up and if the updates comes it comes, if it doesn't then it doesn't matter, as the update may never even come. Again I point out (you have 2.1)

So how do you think it looks, with you coming on here and and dismissing everyone else's quest for resolve, whilst bragging that you have it. Again, we are happy for you.

Yes people are weighing in with their bits of information trying to help each other out. Feel free to do so, if not, then use the rest of the forum for people who are discussing 2.1 in action.

We are still waiting.
I came on here initially, as i have stated to help folks and say, there is an alternative to 1.5 and the 3 wait, that i have tried and works. Similarly to how folks on the Orange said, we have tried and it failed due to the Orange conflict with the radio.

I have not bragged, that's not me, i have informed unlike the speculation on here, there is a big difference. The only information i have added to this, was not speculation but was solid fact; Moko's method works and worked for me, that's as solid as it gets. Would it have been better had i not posted that? Don't worry that's a rhetorical question......

Upvote 0
You cannot seriously admit that folks posting information on here, from the 3 Blog, HTC and other sources that, at best is conflicting, at worst giving folks false hope is "news"?

It's a thread to collate pieces of info gleaned from various sources, that's all. On a user-to-user forum I didn't expect the title to be taken so literally.

i have informed unlike the speculation on here, there is a big difference.
It's human nature to speculate about something so eagerly awaited. I don't think anyone here is naive enough to take anything as gospel until there's proof by way of the OTA popping up on their handset, and it's surely better to have it all in one place than dotted in multiple unrelated threads as before?

This thread is what it is i.e. no different to the similar Orange and T-Mobile threads. The "How to beat the wait..." thread is there for anyone who fancies debranding and going with the generic 2.1 update, and the "All Things Root" sub-forum is full of advice on installing third-party ROMs if users want to go one step further. The aim is simply to make locating information easy for those who seek it.

Upvote 0
It's human nature to speculate about something so eagerly awaited.

And argue about whose source is authoritative, and call their carrier the worst company in the world, and generally whine like a baby about it.

I can only wonder what kind of people get so sulky over something that they're getting for free turning up a bit late. Bloody hell get some perspective.

Upvote 0
Hi just joined forum today,so not sure if done this right .But just come off the phone from 3 and they said that no 2,1 update is planned for the hero on there network only 2,2 for the desire.just thought id keep you all updated on situation.

pompey, 3 CS do not know what is happening. They can only tell you what their scripts tell them.

The Mod over on the 3 blog has stated the following about the 2.1 update for the Hero.

Upvote 0
pompey, 3 CS do not know what is happening. They can only tell you what their scripts tell them.

The Mod over on the 3 blog has stated the following about the 2.1 update for the Hero.

Link

So I guess that we will find out on the 24th if the Mod on the blog is correct, or the guys adz63 spoke to at Android are correct. Should be an interesting day.

thanks heres to the 24th then.

Upvote 0
:( i am new to android and just bought my htc hero from 3 didnt know that the upgrade would be that complicated. i watched videos on youtube how to do it .. but its very complicated, really dont want to brick my phone. Any update about the update.. bcz right now i m facing some problems like.. GPS is not working and read somewhere that after updating the custom rom ppl are happy about the gps and other few things.

Upvote 0
anujdhingra,
The phone works fine out of the box with what ever rom it comes with.
You should have no problem with the GPS on the older roms.
It is very accurate on my Hero on 1.5. Even the compass works once I realised the magnet in my case was interfering with it.

The new roms just let you have new and sometimes faster features on top of what you have already got. I want it for some of the newer apps that require the later roms.

Gordon

Upvote 0
:( i am new to android and just bought my htc hero from 3 didnt know that the upgrade would be that complicated. i watched videos on youtube how to do it .. but its very complicated, really dont want to brick my phone. Any update about the update.. bcz right now i m facing some problems like.. GPS is not working and read somewhere that after updating the custom rom ppl are happy about the gps and other few things.

Are you sure you weren't watching videos of how to install custom ROMs?

Installing the official OTA update is very simple by comparison; the whole process is automated.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones