• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

4.3 update Discussion and issues HERE !!!

ccccsdad

Lurker
Jan 9, 2013
Will I lose text reflow on the stock browser with this update, can someone who has it please confirm? The Note3 with 4.3 does not have the text reflow so you have to use a 3rd party browser which of course disables the motion gestures. I want to update when this releases, but I don't want to lose the text reflow on the stock browser.

Reactions: Gevo247
Good news, my phone didn't kill over!
I updated this morning & wanted to give it some time before I updated the post.
So far so good. Here is what I've noticed after the update :
The update added some apps I didn't have before, like one called "Pen Up". The lock screen clock widget looks slightly different. I noticed when I'm playing Google Music & I go to wake up my phone there's a widget on the lock screen that wasn't there before. The 4G icon in the notification bar has a slightly different look. The settings menu has a completely different layout. There are tabs across as opposed to a long scroll down menu.
That's really all I've noticed. My phone is still running great, no issues that I know of at this point.
**One more thing...the calculator looks different.

Upvote 0
Ok first problem with the update. All Share Cast has been renamed "screen mirroring". I have the Samsung All Share Cast Wireless Hub that plugs into my TV to enable me to mirror my screen to my TV. Now when I connect to it, it immediately disconnects. I've tried resetting the dongle but it doesn't make any difference. :-/

Samsung instructed me to clear the cache on my phone to resolve the problem but it did not fix it. Their next answer is to do a factory reset. If that doesn't work I'm supposed to send the phone in to be serviced which would leave me without a phone for over a week. NOT HAPPY!!

Upvote 0
The update bricked my phone! Samsung blames Sprint & Sprint blames Samsung. Regardless of fault, I'm out $75 & 4 hours of my day for a new phone.
Samsung says Sprint was missing part of the update in their file. Their system wouldn't even acknowledge my phone as a Samsung device. So they tried to overlay it with the file directly from Samsung. That file got stuck so they tried a couple more times before telling me my phone was bricked. By that time it was no longer fictional.
The new phone does not have the update on it & I'm considering keeping it that way. Samsung says it's best to bring the phone to them for updates. Sprint says I should have come to them. I really don't know which one is right or wrong.
I've read about updating through Kies but I don't have a clue how you do that.

Upvote 0
That's if KIES plays nice since that is flaky too... :(

I did use KIES to update my Note 10.1 because OTA always failed to update. It's as simple as plugging it in and then checking for the latest firmware. In which case you follow through the prompts.

One of the reasons I've turned auto-update off my Note 2. After seeing 4.3 on the Note 3, I've opted to keep my 4.1.2 on my Note 2.

Upvote 0
Hi,

I have updated Jelly Bean 4.3 on my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 and since I am facing battery drain issue. I have downloaded any applications which takes more battery but still phone is running slow and battery drained so much.

Secondly, I have tried to uninstall Hangouts to get GTalk back but still not finding any option to get it back.

Can someone please help me to on above issues and also is it possible to get Jelly Bean 4.1.2 back on my Galaxy Note 2.

Thanks and Regards,

Anurag

Upvote 0
For reverting to 4.1.2 you should ask in the Note 2 forum.

Re battery drain, try installing a monitoring app such as GSam Battery Monitor. Let things run for a few hours and then look to see what is actually using your power - it provides more detailed diagnostics than the built-in power monitor does. There have been many reports lately from many different devices of problems related to location services draining power, so if you don't need location information then turning that off might be worth a try.

Upvote 0
If you flash 4.1 on your phone, your sdcard will be screwed up, unless you flash a script to straighten it out OR wipe your phone AND sdcard.

Since you have to factory reset to downgrade to 4.1, I'd try a factory reset of your current 4.3 first and see if that fixes your problem. Either way you'll end up having to re-setup your phone and settings.

Upvote 0
Don't know if I want it, I'll have to determine if I do when more people get the update. Right now it's a no go! How many times can I not accept the update? Anyone else with Note 2 update fear?

I think generally the 4.3 update on unlocked devices is fine, maybe the carriers need to up their game.
You can set your phone to not auto update, maybe untick this in settings/about phone.

Reactions: almath
Upvote 0
Yeah, simply go into Settings>About device>Software update

Then uncheck the box beside 'Auto update'. That will prevent the Note 2 from getting the Update automatically. And you get to choose (if ever) to update it on your own.

If it managed to download, just clear the cache after doing the above steps. You shouldn't be prompted after that (and should not be downloading).

Reactions: almath
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones