• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

4.4.2 update

Ah, I understand now.

But whats the reasoning? If you don't have an issue with the way they do the updates, you can surely see where the method you're suggesting is heading.

1-2 weeks to update the nexus 5
then 1-2 weeks to update the nexus 7 (2013)
then 1-2 weeks to update the nexus 10
then 1-2 weeks to update nexus 4
then 1-2 weeks to update the nexus 7

Or they can do them all and get it done in 2 weeks :)

Additionally, rest easy knowing next year when theres the next nexus you won't be waiting for updates. :thumbup:

I like their design of pushing out updates, but the order they do it isn't flattering. And they wouldn't have to do each device separately either. My point is that the Nexus 5 is brand spanking new and year older devices are beating us to the punch for updates. My idea would look more like this.

1-2 weeks update Nexus 5
1-2 weeks update everything else.

Ya dig?
I wouldn't mind stepping down to next year's flagship for updates so that they get them first cause I know others feel the same as I do. But I'll probably be purchasing the Nexus 6, or whatever they call it to avoid the issue of a Nexus 7 phone and tablet.

Upvote 0
But also back on subject, the update is great. I was getting used to the camera and HDR+ before, and bow its way better. Plus I can actually use the normal shooting mode now cause there's not really much shutter or focus lag anymore. I haven't been experiencing any other issues others have with my toy so yippee its fixed.

Upvote 0
I like their design of pushing out updates, but the order they do it isn't flattering. And they wouldn't have to do each device separately either. My point is that the Nexus 5 is brand spanking new and year older devices are beating us to the punch for updates. My idea would look more like this.

1-2 weeks update Nexus 5
1-2 weeks update everything else.

Ya dig?
I wouldn't mind stepping down to next year's flagship for updates so that they get them first cause I know others feel the same as I do. But I'll probably be purchasing the Nexus 6, or whatever they call it to avoid the issue of a Nexus 7 phone and tablet.

Nobody is beating the N5 to the punch. I got my OTA the 2nd day after 4.2 was announced. Your position in the lottery just hasn't come up.

Reactions: Gatman and Rxpert83
Upvote 0
I'm not saying Apple is the Gold Standard. However they are the Kings of rolling out fairly good updates for the most part in a timely fashion...Day one is when everyone gets it. However I'm not looking to use an Apple vs Google thing here...I'm on the Android side of things when I'm on these forums.

Google should really start using Dates a week or two in advance ...Like Dec 20th come get your Kit Kat...etc...

They have enough people and developers in house to test out new OS platform updates in beta form before releasing to the public...

Buts in all honesty ...it is what it is...

If the update is that important then just download it and sideload it to your device. It takes all of about 2 minutes to accomplish and could be done in less time than it took to write these posts.

Reactions: Rxpert83
Upvote 0
Finally just got the prompt like 2 minutes ago. Updating now :)

BTW, I was one of the first to get my hands on the device, so that tells you how long it takes for updates sometimes :)

Uh, thought I edited my post, did not mean to quote my self. I blame the excitement of the update for the confusion :p

Edit again. Transparent nav and status bars :)

Reactions: Rxpert83
Upvote 0
I agree with this too. I've turned most of them off and disabled what I could to help. The only thing I like is the hotword detection.

I've switched launchers and uninstalled Google search and maps.

Then I redownload them from the play store and greenify them :thumbup:

(Could also switch to user app using titanmium)

This requires root of course

Upvote 0
But also back on subject, the update is great. I was getting used to the camera and HDR+ before, and bow its way better. Plus I can actually use the normal shooting mode now cause there's not really much shutter or focus lag anymore. I haven't been experiencing any other issues others have with my toy so yippee its fixed.

I really like the fact that it notifies you on HDR that the camera is still shooting.

There would be times on 4.4 where I thought I was taking a quick snap and would end up with a blurry pic because HDR was on and I'd moved the camera

Upvote 0
Its an app that prevents other apps from running in the background or waking up your device unless you as the user open the app to use it.

Its like disabling the app, but better because its still usable when you want it.:thumbup:
I have used greenify for a while, however I read that its not ART runtime compatible so I left it out with kit kat. I love the speed on ART.:D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones