• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

4G toggle for NFC tags?

egernant

Jun 30, 2010
I recently bought some NFC tags and have been experimenting with them a bit. I noticed that through the NFC Task Launcher app, there is no option to include a 4G toggle on an NFC tag. I really want to have this since when I'm at work all day, the only thing my phone is doing is receiving emails, so 4G is a waste for me. When I leave I want to be able to turn it back on (along with other "leaving work" tasks I've predetermined).

I've heard a bit about tasker, could that be a potential solution? I've been hesitant since it costs $5+ and I don't know if I'd have any use for it. If it can program a 4G toggle, what other things can it help do in conjunction with NFC that makes it worthwhile to buy and tackle the supposed learning curve?

Thanks for the help!

I recently bought some NFC tags and have been experimenting with them a bit. I noticed that through the NFC Task Launcher app, there is no option to include a 4G toggle on an NFC tag. I really want to have this since when I'm at work all day, the only thing my phone is doing is receiving emails, so 4G is a waste for me. When I leave I want to be able to turn it back on (along with other "leaving work" tasks I've predetermined).

I've heard a bit about tasker, could that be a potential solution? I've been hesitant since it costs $5+ and I don't know if I'd have any use for it. If it can program a 4G toggle, what other things can it help do in conjunction with NFC that makes it worthwhile to buy and tackle the supposed learning curve?

Thanks for the help!

Not sure which version of GNex you have, but on the Sprint version, there is a setting to shut off mobile data - that turns off CDMA/LTE (3g/4g) at the same time.

Tasker can certainly do that (I have a profile that toggles between wifi/mobile-data based on location), and so should NFC.

I use the power toggles widget on my home screen and it has an icon just for that. So instead of powering my phone on, swiping my pattern to unlock and then using the NFC tag, I just hit that widget after I unlock my phone (instead of using the NFC tag) - works just as fast - maybe a little faster for me.

Upvote 0
Yup, totally understand. I, however, am rooted and already have widgets to toggle 4G on my phone. I wanted to include it in an NFC tag so I could turn off 4G when I get to work (among other settings, hence why I don't want to do it manually via a widget).

Also, I don't want to turn off mobile data, just 4G. I still need my phone to have internet while at work, but I'm only receiving emails on it, not doing any heavy lifting. There is no wifi at the office, so 3G is my best choice for saving battery.

Can anyone confirm if there is a way to toggle 4G through tasker on rooted gnex?

Thanks!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones