• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
Well, did anyone ever get the .902 update?? Is there really a soak test going on?? I have my fingers crossed. These threads have been awfully quiet though.

why does anyone need an update? I've got two bionics here and they both work great. I don't like messing with success (ie, if it's not broke; don't "fix" it).

Reactions: dropnbassonu
Upvote 0
The answer to your question in two words ... data drops.

The answer to your observation ... since it is broken ... by all means fix it.

If you are not affected great ... you are obviously using WI-Fi only or never use data.

... Thom

LOL! Bad assumption on your part. I NEVER use wifi with my current Bionic, and last month's data usage was more than 4GB. I NEVER lose the 4G signal; nor does my wife's bionic. My FIRST Bionic (launch day purchase) hardly ever had 4G. what a difference between that Bionic and our current units.

Upvote 0
why does anyone need an update? I've got two bionics here and they both work great. I don't like messing with success (ie, if it's not broke; don't "fix" it).
Hey you are totally right! Your bionics work great so I shouldn't need one that works. My problems are solved...

Upvote 0
Hey you are totally right! Your bionics work great so I shouldn't need one that works. My problems are solved...
You REALLY don't get it do you? I've said all along that the first Bionic I had sucked at data connectivity. The second one never drops data and neither does my wife's one and only Bionic. Stop complaining about it and DO something about it--namely calling Verizon for a replacement phone. It's not THAT difficult to resolve the issue...

Upvote 0
You seem to be very fortunate and not particularly typical. Almost everyone has had some data drops. Some have been infrequent enough to be OK. Some have been horrendous.

The solution for some was to replace the device (there were some bad ones). The universal solution is not to replace the devices.

Some of the issues people had were in the towers. You don't seem to have had those either.

There have been great reports for 5.9.901 correcting almost all the others.

... Thom

Upvote 0
You seem to be very fortunate and not particularly typical. Almost everyone has had some data drops. Some have been infrequent enough to be OK. Some have been horrendous.

The solution for some was to replace the device (there were some bad ones). The universal solution is not to replace the devices.

Some of the issues people had were in the towers. You don't seem to have had those either.

... Thom

I have been both cursed and blessed with regards to the Bionic. My first one almost never had 4G (other than when I was in Vegas for 5 days). Inside my house it was almost guaranteed I wouldn't get a data signal. That went on for roughly 90 days. Following one of the infamous data outtages with zero connectivity on my BIonic, I had verizon replace the phone. All has been well since. whew! :)

It goes without saying that if one is in a marginal signal area, all bets are off.

Upvote 0

... Thom

I've never had any bad data drops with my Bionic, not including the vzw outages. Besides the outages on verizons side I rarely ever drop data, even before the update.

Upvote 0
I try to let people know that not all samples of a product are faulty, but rather than those with problems being encouraged by my comments, some seem to take offense that I've got a sample that works well. oh well! I've been on both sides of the fence which is why I urge people with Bionics that are having lots of problems to just get a replacement.

Upvote 0
I try to let people know that not all samples of a product are faulty, but rather than those with problems being encouraged by my comments, some seem to take offense that I've got a sample that works well. oh well! I've been on both sides of the fence which is why I urge people with Bionics that are having lots of problems to just get a replacement.

It is quite possible that San Jose has the BEST tower in the United States and you did not have to battle through the yo-yo data support that so many other encountered.

The reason there is resistance is that there seems to be one approach at Verizon ... do a Factory Data Reset and if that fails trade it for a refurbished Bionic.

I have talked to people who have ha 4, 6, and 8 replacements and are dealing with the same problem.

There were some bad devices and they mostly got replaced. There are probably some more kicking around.

There were tower problems and they seem mostly corrected. There were software problems and they seem mostly corrected by 5.9.901/5.9.902.

Going with the odds if data reliability is critical and you are already on 5.5.893 with a new SIM card then go with the 5.9.901 leak or convert to a 3G phone.

If you are using the original phone from your purchase and have already replace the SIM card then you could try the Factory Data Reset / exchange for refurbished phone. You will still be at 5.5.886 or 5.5.893 and susceptible to data drops that are corrected with 5.9.901 or 5.9.902.

Data availability critical ... 5.9.901 or convert to 3G.
Data availability not critical ... wait for 5.9.902 or install 5.9.901

... Thom

Upvote 0
so still no one has gotten the update? Hmm wonder what happened to it?

They are just getting ready to send it out to the soak test group... it isn't being pushed out to everyone until it is tested further and then it will be pushed in waves since they can't update everyone all at once...

So.. patience.... if it tests ok... it will get here eventually.

Upvote 0
I am curious do we know if the .902 update has a different kernal or Radio from .901? If so is it even better. Also I am on my first bionic. I have almost traded this thing in a gillion times because of the data drop issue. However once I got 901 all seemed rosey. Well even on 901 the data drops came back. Iwas upset. So I called verizon. They sid somthing that fixed it for a week. Then more data drops. So I called again and told them. They did somthing different that time and data drops on 901 have never been back..... so point is all systems have to be alligned in perfect harmony whilest understanding the nuainces of the phone. Good towers, software on phone, and hooked up properly on verizons end. If all of these align. You have an awesome phone. That's unfortunate because most ppl can't understand all of that tech stuff like ppl on the forums. Most ppl aren't even on the forums. Oh and telling ppl that your equipment works great when somone else is having a problem is about the most ignorant thing you can do on these forums.

Upvote 0
No one that I am aware of has seen anything on 5.9.902 yet.

The answer to your question was the reason I asked for the screenshot when anyone get 5.9.902. If you check ... http://androidforums.com/motorola-droid-bionic/438060-bionic-reference-terms-links.html#post3398984 ... you will see them all listed there and can compare the elements. (5.9.902 is not leisted yet.)

It is worth noting that the only information on 5.9.902 in the last 3+ days is the original article that was referenced. All the other references scattered around the Internet are referring to that same article. It makes you wonder how valid it is.

These forums are not Representative of all Bionic owners. They attract people who have problems they want solved, people who want to learn more, people who want to play with their phone, and people who want to vent. All those people who are totally happy aren't here. I think that it is useful to know that there are two phones in San Jose, CA that have absolutely no problems and both are always on 4G.

Are you always on 4G?

... Thom

Upvote 0
I find the data drops interesting as well as the posts about them. My experience is that they are not consistent. I will go days, sometimes over a week without any (that I notice), then I will get one or many for a day or two then back to none. I believe most people that say they don't have any just have never noticed them because they are not trying to use data when they happen. When you have a data drop you can still send/receive text/calls so you don't notice the drops. I would say for me 95% of the time when I have a drop it comes back on it's own within minutes. Hope this update is real and is sent OTA soon. I still am stock by the way.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones