• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

6÷2(1+2) = ?

Votes: 94 54.3%

Votes: 77 44.5%

Votes: 2 1.2%

• Total voters
Why the continued fuss? The correct answer was given several posts ago.

ezZnKzX42r-2.png

What about 42? That should have been an option :D

Upvote 0
@jhawkkw : Hey bud... I just spoke with a colleague of mine, who is a Space Science specializing in Physics graduate, with lots of defence research time. We chatted this morning over this equation, agreeing you can argue either way, and quickly ended up at the same place we did "It is a crap question with arguments either way.. you would need to know the flaws in the s/w program to avoid them... and on paper we would use proper notation". That aside, he did bring this up, and I would like your take on it.
The "9" people do this: 2n = 2 * n, so
6/2(2+1) = 6 / 2 * (2+1).
But then he said he would write 2n = (2 * n) and not just 2n = 2*n
I think he is more for '9', not that it matters, but that point did strike me as interesting... thoughts?

Why the continued fuss? The correct answer was given several posts ago.
lol @ 'correct' answer. :D

Upvote 0
yep....Like I said...the correct answer is 9
pieces of bacon!
:)
Perhaps, but like Jhawkkw said, 42 slices should be an option :D:p

4 out of 3 people just don't get math! ;)
Reminds me of another math joke:

There are 10 kinds of mathematicians. Those who can think in binary and those who can't.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
@jhawkkw : Hey bud... I just spoke with a colleague of mine, who is a Space Science specializing in Physics graduate, with lots of defence research time. We chatted this morning over this equation, agreeing you can argue either way, and quickly ended up at the same place we did "It is a crap question with arguments either way.. you would need to know the flaws in the s/w program to avoid them... and on paper we would use proper notation". That aside, he did bring this up, and I would like your take on it.
I think he is more for '9', not that it matters, but that point did strike me as interesting... thoughts?

lol @ 'correct' answer. :D

Indeed, it really is a crap question with designed ambiguity meant to start debates/fights. The 2n = 2*n is the strict interpretation that I mentioned above. But indeed it may not make logical sense. I don't allow calculators in my class because it does 2 things:
1)Makes people lazy so that they don't know how to do basic arithmetic
2)Can actually make people get wrong answers that they would normally get correct on paper because of that strict vs logic entering of an equation.

Like I mentioned above, the answer should just be 42 since it's the answer to the meaning of life, the universe, and everything.

Upvote 0
Indeed, it really is a crap question with designed ambiguity meant to start debates/fights. The 2n = 2*n is the strict interpretation that I mentioned above. But indeed it may not make logical sense. I don't allow calculators in my class because it does 2 things:
1)Makes people lazy so that they don't know how to do basic arithmetic
2)Can actually make people get wrong answers that they would normally get correct on paper because of that strict vs logic entering of an equation.

Like I mentioned above, the answer should just be 42 since it's the answer to the meaning of life, the universe, and everything.

42 pieces of pie:)

oh.. and I always say 6.
6 is the best and safest answer to any question..i.e how many boyfriends did you have before me? 6
If your wife or GF asks you if you think that girl is pretty..you say I'd say she is a 6..
and so on:)
ok ok..I'll stop...

carry on..;)

Upvote 0
What the world thinks today about this:

1 + 1 = 2

BUT in the REAL world it actually equals...

1 + 1 = 11

HA!

Yes man!

Like the ancient Babylonians who built The Tower of Babel to find God... so will I with the power of Mathematics to find God itself but I will not fail!

And I am the BEST at maths!

I am on a mission! :mad:

Wish me luck guys!

Reactions: EarlyMon and jmar
Upvote 0

I claim a similar background and am on record from when this was first asked -

Rules say the answer is 9, but some older compilers would evaluate that as 1.

Also on record for saying that the whole thing is sloppy, so I'm only going to defend this -

The parens are the toast for a BLT. The 1+2 signify that you take enough bacon for one BLT, then add twice that amount to make a proper BLT. Therefore, 2(1+2) says that two BLTs are required that way. 6

Upvote 0
This math problem has been answered long ago as well and found to be bacon:

ezZnKzX42r-8.png

So you think you have what it takes to take my place in the heavens and to be ... the one and only... "The Funniest Loser Alive" do you?

You think you have what it takes now do you?

:D

Let me give you the greatest test of all timez to see if you are "The One"....

I don't know if you are the 1 but if you can guess what my favorite thing to do in the whole wide world is ... then I will step down from my throne... I will give you the crown... (sigh) and yes you will have a pony here and there to ride here and there blah blah blaaaah yakkitty smakitty and so on and so forth...

SO

What do I love to do more than anything in the whole wide world? :)

You have 1 day to answer me...

Time is ticking man!

Upvote 0
Woops my trolling has forgotten the importance of this so very important thread of importnantness!

I trollishly change my mind and think the answer is - 504193.

:D

Yes!

Weird looking English guy from who wants to be a millionaire says:

Stinky Stinky... you could walk away with 1 million pounds... but if it is wrong you could walk away with less cash... Stinky Stinky... is this your final answer?

Stinky Stinky:

No weird looking person thing guy man... I use ancient art of searching on my phone for the answer...

Ahhh yes that's it man!

The all knowing and 500000% correct and flawless internet says the answer is - 504193!

NOW give me my money!!!

xD

collegehumor.5838d30829d80febd955cf8b17cec6de.jpg

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones