• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

thecarlsoncrew

Sep 29, 2010
I really like my GS5, but there are a couple annoyances that I'd really love to clear up.

First, there are a couple of informational (translation: nag) screens that always pop up, requiring extra taps to clear them away. One comes up every time I turn on Bluetooth, and two of them come up every time I turn on Location Services (see attachments). Does anyone know of a way to prevent them from coming up at all?

Also, I was hoping to use the recent update of HD Widgets to start using a more useful lock screen widget than the default one, but haven't figured out any way to do so. I contacted the HD Widgets dev and was told Samsung disabled lock screen widgets entirely on the GS5 (what?!). Is there any way to work around this?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Screenshot1.jpg
    Screenshot1.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 60
  • Screenshot2.jpg
    Screenshot2.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 53
  • Screenshot3.jpg
    Screenshot3.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 53
That first screen does not come up all the time unless I have the phone's BT turned off. Even then, it only shows up until the BT headset locks in and then it goes away on its' own. I don't do anything with it. I can disconnect the BT headset and reconnect it and the phone never displays anything.

The location screens will go away permanently once you 'agree' to Google's desire to get into your private life... and that is the only way I have found to be able to use the GPS for location services...

Upvote 0
That first screen does not come up all the time unless I have the phone's BT turned off. Even then, it only shows up until the BT headset locks in and then it goes away on its' own. I don't do anything with it. I can disconnect the BT headset and reconnect it and the phone never displays anything.

The location screens will go away permanently once you 'agree' to Google's desire to get into your private life... and that is the only way I have found to be able to use the GPS for location services...

Yeah, I usually just turn on the BT when I'm in the car (or walking to it). The nag screen comes up every time I turn BT on after having it off. I was hoping to find a way to eliminate it altogether, but maybe there isn't one.

Similar deal with the location services - I turn on location when I need to use the GPS or whatever, but I have to agree to let Google into my private life every time. It doesn't go away permanently after I agree. I know they're snooping every time I turn this feature on...that's why I keep turning it off when I don't need it! I'm just hoping to find one checkbox somewhere in an obscure corner of Android that will make these go away for good...

Upvote 0
I keep BT enabled all the time so I don't get the BT screen. I don't think there is any way around it if you turn BT on and off. Have to allow the first Google screen if you want GPS so I don't get that anymore either as I leave Location on as well. The 2nd location screen I DISAGREE to and it's popped up a few times. Nothing terribly annoying tho.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones