• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

A place to share tips on the Tribute

bendevs

May 26, 2015
I figured we needed a thread to share tips and tricks we've found for our Tributes.

Some things I've done are:

-Download Links2SD (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.buak.Link2SD&hl=en), and converted a few apps to system apps (essentially puts them in the system partition, giving the user partition more space)

-Used Links2SD to delete system apps I knew I wouldn't use, like Virgin Mobile's bloatware, Google books, etc

-I'm also about to delete my gmail and youtube apps, as their web versions are actually pretty good

-Make backups. I've screwed up my phone a couple times removing stuff, but at least I had a TWRP backup I could restore from

...anyways, those are some of my tips. I just wanted to contribute to this fourm.

Reactions: mjhealy1978
After successful root, and a full nandroid backup, I "debloated" by uninstalling the junk, and the Google apps. Then I reinstalled them from the Play Store. Uninstalling eliminated the odex & system apps. The reinstalled app was smaller in size, saving space. Make sure to use Links2SD to clear cache, data, then uninstall. I downloaded Kitkat SD Patch App by Geeksoft from Google Play. That allows me to write & delete stuff from the sd card0, and external sd, a problem inherent to kitkat. I also moved as many apps as I could to sd card using Links2SD. So far, I'm enjoying this phone, but I hope somebody comes up with a deodexed version of the stock v5, or sd swap apk for this phone to alleviate the storage/memory/bloat issues.

Reactions: bkttk2 and bendevs
Upvote 0
Link2sd works great for me now need a program that works for tethering the phone to computer. I need internet on computer using the phone data plan on days when the in house internet is down. Needs to be a program that will not charge you a monthly fee thru your phone company.
If you freeze com.qualcomm.qcrilmsgtunnel you can bypass the hotspot plan. This only works while using 3G however.
If you need to use usb tethering, Use PDANet.

Reactions: bkttk2
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones