• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root HELP!! Bricked/No OS Installed/No Recovery

ArcticFox930

Jul 26, 2016
I need major help! Yesterday I had successfully rooted, installed TWRP Recovery, and flashed CyanogenMod 12 on my LG Tribute LS660. I didn't much like it, so I used TWRP to restore my stock backup. However, it was glitched out. There was no sound, GooglePlay wouldn't work, graphical issues. So for some reason I decided to try flashing something else. I ended up accidentally deleting my backup, and since hadn't had the Stock ROM. So I said f*** it, left it for the next day. Today I get up, I try searching EVERYWHERE for a STOCK lg tribute ls660 rom, couldn't find one. So I used somebody's supposedly "stock" deoxed rom or whatever. It worked, but being me I tried to still get the stock rom. I ended up using TWRP to flash another supposedly "stock" recovery image. Then I accidentally wiped the entire phone, including partitions and OS. I guess the stock recovery image I tried to flash didn't work, so now I have NO recovery and NO OS installed. When I try to turn on my phone, it just gets stuck at the "LG Life is Good" logo screen, absolutely nothing happens. When I try to enter Recovery, it just gets stuck in Factory Reset Processing, and when I try to enter download mode it gets stuck there too. I am absolutely lossed. If I was just able to get into recovery or download mode I could flash a rom using fastboot/adb or something, but I CAN'T. My phone has no OS, no Recovery, no nothing. It's just stuck. I'm not sure if this is what you call a "hard brick" or not, but I really need help. If you need more details I will be more than happy to provide. Is there ANY way I can fix this horrible mistake I've made, and install an OS or possibly even factory reset the phone, without having access to recovery? This is my only phone, my main phone, and I cannot lose it.
EDIT: I can access Download mode now, by holding Volume UP + Plugging in USB.

Last edited:
I got the "Stock ZV5 Deodexed & Unmodified" rom from user SuperR here on the forums.
And yes, I CAN get into download mode, by holding Volume UP and plugging in the USB cable. I hear a sound when it connects to my PC, however can't access the phone. Also when trying to use the "adb devices" command, it does not see my device. Just spent hours going through many pages and can't get a fix. But YES, I CAN enter download mode!

Upvote 0
Find someone who's got an LG factory production line device programming jig. That's it I think, otherwise it's dead, Jim!

For information, a friend of mine is a tech at an Oppo service centre, and they have a JTAG setup, which can flash firmware by direct connection into the logic-board of Oppo phones. But this sort of thing is usually unavailable to end users of course, except through manufacturer service channels. That's why I'm still thinking at this stage, it's really only LG who even help you now, if that's possible.

Last edited:
Reactions: AMOCO
Upvote 0
Nope, it's not dead. It's only soft-bricked. Everybody says as long as you can enter some form of download mode, it can be restored. Only problem is NOBODY has given a fix or any information on how. And I do not appreciate you coming here and trying to tell me it's dead. If you don't have a fix or any way to help, do not comment. It's bad enough the first guy that "tried to help" completely stopped replying. Seems this forum is just rude people and not for help.

Upvote 0
It's not dead, it's pining..

It might be soft bricked, but if you got no way into it, despite exhaustively trying everything known, and nobody else knows... Try asking on XDA Devs or something.

For information, as you can't get download mode working, this is what needs to happen with it.
This is a Samsung S4, but the same thing applies to very much any bricked device, where there's no other user way into the thing

Anyway, have a nice day. I'm unsubscribed from this thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: AMOCO
Upvote 0
Is NOBODY even reading my thread?
@mikedt I already said twice now that I can enter download mode.
@zapjb First of all thats the rom I already tried, if you even read my post, and how do you expect me to flash a rom if I cant get into the damn phone?
This is exactly how not to get help. This is nobody's fault but your own. A little humility goes a long way. So does a Google search.

You need to use the LG flash tool and tot. It's in the forum five posts below this one.

http://androidforums.com/threads/lg_ls660zv3_00-p33031-tot-for-boosts-tribute.1012893/

Calm down. It's a $40 Walmart phone. If you couldn't afford to break it than you should have left it alone.

Upvote 0
Bickering deleted.

If you're looking for help, be polite about it. If you're offering help and take offence at the way the questions are asked, just answer the question.

The report button is there for anything else.

OP, if you can get in to download mode, this site and flashtool might be your friend - http://devtester.ro/projects/lg-firmwares/

Upvote 0
This is exactly how not to get help. This is nobody's fault but your own. A little humility goes a long way. So does a Google search.

You need to use the LG flash tool and tot. It's in the forum five posts below this one.

http://androidforums.com/threads/lg_ls660zv3_00-p33031-tot-for-boosts-tribute.1012893/

Calm down. It's a $40 Walmart phone. If you couldn't afford to break it than you should have left it alone.

I'm in the same situation as OP.....
Flashing the Boost ZV3 .tot ends up a non-booting phone. SO I RECOMMEND NO NOT FLASH.
It boots up saying some wierd "miniOS" and then says "factory reset status" with number 2 and blue screen.

Unless I can find a .tot/.kdz for ZV5 or ZV6.....Device is "soft-dead" and fixable but will forever stay bricked.

Upvote 0
I'm in the same situation as OP.....
Flashing the Boost ZV3 .tot ends up a non-booting phone. SO I RECOMMEND NO NOT FLASH.
It boots up saying some wierd "miniOS" and then says "factory reset status" with number 2 and blue screen.

Unless I can find a .tot/.kdz for ZV5 or ZV6.....Device is "soft-dead" and fixable but will forever stay bricked.
Sorry for the late reply. Website had issues and maintenance today. I ALSO had this issue but it is incredibly easy to fix. Instead of choosing "Upgrade DL", you NEED to choose "Board DL". It instantly worked for me when I did that. If you need other help or anything send me a message and we can try to speak via skype or discord. I know how extremely frustrating this is, so I want to help as best I can.
EDIT: Also, Zv5 and Zv6 will crash your device and put it in a bootloop, and you'll have to go through the flash process again. I recommend you DON'T update the ZV past anything but 3 or 4.

Upvote 0
Sorry for the late reply. Website had issues and maintenance today. I ALSO had this issue but it is incredibly easy to fix. Instead of choosing "Upgrade DL", you NEED to choose "Board DL". It instantly worked for me when I did that. If you need other help or anything send me a message and we can try to speak via skype or discord. I know how extremely frustrating this is, so I want to help as best I can.
EDIT: Also, Zv5 and Zv6 will crash your device and put it in a bootloop, and you'll have to go through the flash process again. I recommend you DON'T update the ZV past anything but 3 or 4.

I figured it out after posting this....Board DL to get to ATT mode then select normal boot.
I have VM DDR phone, and flashed the zv3 boost firmware.
I rather ZV6 because I could bypass the activation, zv3 you cannot bypass it, so I can never make it past activation.....so i'm still in same situation of an unfixable phone.

Upvote 0
I figured it out after posting this....Board DL to get to ATT mode then select normal boot.
I have VM DDR phone, and flashed the zv3 boost firmware.
I rather ZV6 because I could bypass the activation, zv3 you cannot bypass it, so I can never make it past activation.....so i'm still in same situation of an unfixable phone.
Do you mean Self-Activation? Usually I wait until I can hit "Activate" then hit the home button. It stops and I just close out. Fortunately, if you just root it and install TitaniumBackup you can stop the process that gives you this, making it never come back.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones