• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

A tip for those on T-Mobile

Very new to all this but having done a speed check on speedtest.net I have the following whilst on my mobile web

download: 0.24 mb/s
upload: 0.04 mb/s

Should I be making that call to T-Mobile as well?

Thanks,

Nic

Yes give them a call on your tmobile phone and dial 150 and i think its option #4. Tell them you think you are speed capped and to see if they can increase it.

Upvote 0
Many thanks for all the advice on this thread. I phoned T-Mobil this morning and after a hit of banter and being put on hold for a minute I now have the 3th fair usage Android tariff. That also means that as I no longer need the internet booster i was able to have one of the other bootsers. Result.

Speed has now a best quadrupled from what I posted before and just now it was slightly more than twice as fast.

Well worth the phone call.

Thanks again.

Nic

Upvote 0
This is brilliant, everyone should do this. The lady i spoke too was so blase about it saying that loads of people had been having issues, i thought she was about to say "we cant do anything because everyone is having problems", she came through, and now i have unlimited texts.

Top stuff on the advice mate! Pretty much signed up to say this.. Plus now i have a Desire HD i'll be around alot.

Upvote 0
Thanks for this tip.:)

I havent finalised what contract to get with Tmob yet as im on preorder list, just waiting for nesxt batch to arrive, (since the end of October).

Would I have to get a plan with 1gb data to get the upgrade?

& could i do get them to do it instore when i get the phone to save time,
or do it with a tmob on phone afterwards?

Upvote 0
I had to phone customer services up twice. The first time the agent 'refreshed' my account, which didn't achieve anything! When i spoke to the second agent I asked him if I was currently on web'n'walk or web'n'walk plus. He told me I was on the standard web'n'walk. When I asked about moving onto the plus version he checked whether or not I would incur any extra charges. Am currently on flext 35 with free internet. He told me I could migrate to web'n'walk plus for no extra charge and my usage allowance would increase from 1gb a month to 3gb! He also said that it could take up to an hour for the 'system' to update, but I tested my connection speed as soon as I had ended the call and it had increased from 0.35mbps to 1.5mbps!

So advice for everyone is to ask for web'n'walk plus, but check whether or not there are any extra charges!

Tim

Upvote 0
I just called T-Mobile myself. The lady was very cheerful (laughing soon as she picked up so probably her colleague busting jokes). Just explained to her a lot of people have the same issue, can I get the cap changed to which she pretty much did right away. She didn't mention anything about changing the booster but I asked and mentioned others had it changed and she laughed and said she'd change mine too as a "good gesture" and customer satisfaction, but isn't really allowed to.

Now, I've checked my account and the Unlimited Internet has been taken off and replaced with Unlimited Text and Capped Data Rate. Is that normal? The Capped Data Rate is what I'm not sure about. Ive been getting speed test results of 500k-1.6mb which sounds about right compared to my initial 355k.

I've also got Video Calling as a booster...why would they add that for the DHD? I got the

Upvote 0
RyuKazama: Sounds like you are on a similar deal to me, the capped data rate just means you are limited to how much you can download i.e. 1GB or 3GB. However viewing your account online doesn't tell you whether you are on the web 'n' walk or the web 'n' walk plus, however as I mentioned in an earlier post, if your speeds are higher than 355kbps then you will be on the web 'n' walk plus which means your download limit is 3GB, although apparently if you don't frequently go over this limit then T-mobile don't cap your speeds. CS seem to deny that the data speed is linked to the download limit, but it appears that it is!!! But then what do you expect from call-centre battery hens!

Topcat: Yeah, I had to try 5 times to get this to work. 1st time was some guy refreshing my account, 2nd was "no sir, can't be done". 3rd was "no sir, according to notes on your account you didn't purchase your contract directly through T-Mobile". 4th was another type of account refresh, and 5th was me explaining that according to your Ts and Cs that as android user i should have the web 'n' walk plus which was replied with "no problem sir, my apologies as you have an android phone I will switch you on to the correct booster straight away, and what would you like to do with your extra booster?" Phew I thought she was going to read the notes on my account, and i had screwed this up for myself already!

Lesson is, keep trying and hope you get some girl who doesn't read the notes on your account and doesn't ask any questions!!!

Russ: :eek: WHAT HAVE YOU DONE!! :thinking: I do hope that you are joking with this email business!! Your actions will probably spark an investigation into the discripencies between different users' accounts and they will end up removing all privileges gained for the rest of us! This process isn't a legitimate method, its relying on inconsistencies between different members of staff!! I do hope this doesn't backfire and cause T-mobile to go through everyone's account seeing who should and shouldn't be on the web 'n' walk plus. Oh dear. :eek:

DD

Upvote 0
Sorry if I've bollocksed it up for everyone, but I don't reckon I have. I got a phone call today and they told me they were adding it free of charge.

They said that the reseller should have made me aware of this at point of sale (that better internet was recommended for Android devices) and they will be informing CPW and other resellers of this in future.

Download speed has increased from 350ish to 2000ish so I am happy

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones