• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root A word of wiseness for the flash happy.

InfernalByte

Android Expert
Oct 8, 2010
Puerto Pollo
Recently something has been giving my battery a right old spanking, after some faffing about I bit the bullet and flashed a fresh CM7, I then downloaded everything fresh from the market using none of the old data from the previous flash. With my phone in Airplane mode overnight and running the ManU1.4HAVS kernel my battery was Typically losing 2-3% overnight, with Set CPU profiles, 128Mhz Screen off etc.

As it is today, the OS is pure CM7, no Set CPU or custom kernel in the mix and overnight I now lose 0% battery with the Airplane mode set. I've always been too slack to read the change log, not least because I don't understand it, but I assumed that a 128MHz kernel would be better than CM7's 245MHz, I was wrong!

Moral of the story; Flash what you need, nothing more.

On a good day with the ManU test kernel I managed 1% overnight without selecting airplane mode! Though it would probably be more correct to call it "< 2%".

Last time I tried airplane mode overnight I was camping in the depths of Scotland, zero signal, and hadn't even rooted yet. Should try it sometime now, but I usually reckon "what the hell, I can afford a couple of %". That's on the rare occasions I've not run it below 50% before I go to bed (mostly due to fiddling these days, I fear).

Upvote 0
How much compression is possible on a 7 hour vid? :D
LOL...:D

I'm also running CM7 with default kernel, no CPU settings and airplane mode on. If I look in the Settings - About Phone - Battery, then I see a flat line for battery usage overnight (I set it with a time trigger between 1am and 7am). I didn't measure the battery % consumption, but the line indicates that there has been no battery usage at that time.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones