• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

About the S9+'s battery.

BicBowski

Lurker
Apr 18, 2019
I barely have time to use my phone. So it's usually just on and sitting in my closet's drawer. I have three questions concerning that phone: Can leaving it on cause any issues with the battery? It's a S9+. My S9+ is for my personal use at home.

Second question, prior to leaving my phone on, I would usually turn my phone off for a week or so that the battery doesn't get used up. I stopped doing this after I heard it can decrease the battery's life expectancy. How true is this?

Third question, what percentage should I charge my phone at?

I apologize in advance for the somewhat stupid questions. I don't know much about smartphones.

OK, let's consider these in turn:

Leaving a phone on won't in itself cause problems for the battery. If you leave it switched on long enough that it runs flat then that isn't good for the battery, but that's because running a lithium battery until empty is bad for them, and it doesn't matter how you run it down. But unless you are in weak coverage or you have a rogue app that's running significantly while the phone is just sitting there it should take a couple of days to run flat.

On the second one, there's no truth at all. Even turned-off a battery will gradually discharge, but it's slow. I believe that for long-term storage (months) it's best to leave the battery in a partially-charged state, but turning the phone off for a week will do no harm to the battery.

On the third, the important thing is not to run it too low (doesn't matter if you do it occasionally, but doing it regularly will reduce longevity). But I'd not get too hung up on precise numbers: whether you charge it when it reaches 20%, 30%, 40% doesn't really matter.

There is a lot of information out there on looking after lithium ions. Some is good (battery university is I believe a reputable source), some is urban myth. But it's something that some people get quite obsessive about, and it isn't the life-or-death matter that those people will treat it as.

Upvote 0
.........There is a lot of information out there on looking after lithium ions. Some is good (battery university is I believe a reputable source), some is urban myth. But it's something that some people get quite obsessive about, and it isn't the life-or-death matter that those people will treat it as.
yep here is the link:
https://batteryuniversity.com/index.php/learn/article/charging_lithium_ion_batteries

yeah the main things is to not let it get too low in battery life.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones