• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root About to flash BAMF, first some questions

A NOOBROOTER salutes you.

I wanted to write the same post but hadn't done my research on the process and wanted to complete that before asking for help - as you obviously did. So, now I think I am ready on the research side and ready for next steps too. In preparation, I followed your suggestions on Clockwork recovery reflash.

One answer i haven't seen though is one detail on the backup and recovery phase. Based on what i have read, it doesn't appear that app/settings and stuff are saved when performing a nandroid backup. Does that mean one should do a Titanium full backup of apps/settings and stuff too?

So,
A) backup apps/settings with Titanium
B) then start the ROM Process (including nandroid backup/wipe) as described

I am sure once I do it, it will be evident but after rooting, it took quite a while to get myself organized and set up with my apps etc again.

Thanks in advance!

This might make it easier:

A Nandroid saves everything that is on your phone exactly as it is the moment you make the Nandroid. If you restore a Nandroid your phone will be the exact way you had it when you made the Nandroid.

Nandroids are so that you have a known stable back up to go back to if you either don't like a ROM you flashed, or are having trouble with a ROM you flashed.

When you wipe your phone (after making your Nandroid :) ), that will completely take everything off of the phone except for your recovery. You then flash a new ROM and can restore all of your apps and there data with Titanium Backup. You do not have to restore with Titanium, however it does make it quicker then letting Google resore the apps via the market, and you get your data back.

So in closing:

Nandroid = snap shot of your phone and is used to restore everything to the way it was.

Titanium Back up = resore all of your apps and their data to make setting up a new ROM easier.

Hope that helps a little.

Upvote 0
Actually, that makes perfect sense. Some questions seem so stupid after you get the answer. Seems straightforward that you don't update the apps backup of the ROM you just replaced. You need an external backup... Duhhh.​

Thanks very much, I appreciate it!​

I will pay it forward.​

No problem, I remember what it was like when I first rooted my OG Droid. All the terms and apps and names... Was very overwelming. However this forum was a great place to ask questions and read up and understand stuff.

It is always better to ask even if you think it makes perfect sense. :)

Reactions: Deleted User
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones