• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help ABSURD NO SENSE PROBLEM!!!

Ciusepp

Lurker
Feb 15, 2015
:eek:Hello there kind geniuses on Android forum I have a challenge here that only you can solve!! ;)

I'm an android lover who consider himself an "advanced user" :rolleyes: and thank to your forum guides and my friend Google i always being able to solve any problem with my phone... Until now!!! :(
I'm stuck with this ABSURD problem which I couldn't find a solution!! :eek:

My phone is a Galaxy S4 i9505.
Few days ago I went to sleep with my phone working flawlessly and in the morning I noticed I couldn't hear any sound apart from the startup sound and I had a lot of random freeze and reboots.
Since then, my dear geniuses, I've tried EVERYTHING I could think of but with no success on fully solve the problem. :(

This is ALL I've tried so far:

-Insert the headphones (no sound comes out the headphones)
-connect bluetooth headphones (any sound works perfectly out the bluetooth headphones)
-Start the phone with/without headphones and with/without external SDcard
-Wipe EVERYTHING (data, system internal and external SD)
-try 2 different custom roms (omega v40 and S4 Google edition)
-install viper4android sound drivers and app
-flash the original stock rom/bootloader with Odin
-flash the original stock rom/bootloader plus the pit file with the options "auto-reboot" "F.Reset time" re-partition" and "nand-erase-all" all enabled

No 100% success... :'( :(

Right now I'm at this point:
I have the Google edition rom "danvdh-GE-4.4.2-02182014-INT" obviously rooted with last busy box.

-I have less freeze and reboots but still happens randomly
-I can hear all the sounds through the Bluetooth headphones if I connect them
-I can hear the startup sound
-When I call or receive a call I can hear from the speaker, the loudspeaker and the headphones
-No other sound from any music player, no ringtone, no dial-pad tones, no touch sounds, no screen lock sound
-Sometimes, very rarely and completely random, I can hear some sound but with a bit of delay
-When I try to watch any video (online or offline) they are very slowed down unless I watch them with VLC player
-The phone take pictures and videos regularly.

WHAT IS GOING ON?!?! :eek: :eek:

I thought about being a hardware problem but WHY I can hear the startup and the in-calls sounds??
And WHY through the Bluetooth headphones I can hear everything loud and clear?!? :thinking:
Sorry guys for the Essay and PLEASE help me... I really have no more ideas... It just DOESN'T MAKE SENSE and it's making me crazy!! o_O

Have you tried running the rom bare, without reinstalling any of your apps?

Wow! I didn't expect an answer so quickly! Thank you Very much EarlyMon:)
Unfortunately yes, after a COMPLETE wipe, I tried 2 different custom roms (Omega v.40 and Google Edition 4.4.2) and 2 different stock (3G and Europe) and all present the problem from the very beginning, with no extra app, just after a fresh install. :(
I tried even to leave the roms for a while after install it, run it for a while and even to hard reset from settings and nothing changed...:(
Any idea what can it be???o_O
Maybe it's something else (Hardware) that doesn't work and prevent the audio to work properly and slows down the videos...But I tried all the hardware tests as well and ram, cpu and all sensors seems to work...:mad:
Do you know any good debug app that can list down the problems before a freeze or a random reboot?? maybe we can find what cause it and find the REAL problem behind the audio problems....o_O

Upvote 0
I'm not familiar with your chassis - can you fully inspect the headphones jack to ensure that it's not shorted internally?

ALogcat, free in the Play Store, shows all system logs - not easy to read but if software is complaining it's likely to be in there.

EarlyMon I use my headphones with my PC too and they work perfectly.;)
My phone recognize the headphones (and the microphone) perfectly and I can be sure of it because I can hear the startup sound with it plus I can have a conversation if I call or I get a call from someone. It just doesn't work with ANY other sound that should come out the phone. But the weirdest thing is that out of the bluetooth headphones any sound works. o_O
Thank you for the Alogcat app suggestion, I will try it and see if I can understand anything...would you like me to post the result here???

Upvote 0
Stupid question, but there are a couple different caches on the phone that should be cleared when installing a new ROM. Have you cleared the caches?

Hey Dngrsone, thank you to be interested on my problem too, I really appreciate it.:)
I wiped ALL the things I know how to wipe before a new install
Wipe.jpg
...look at the picture and let me know if there is anything else I can wipe.....I WILL!!o_O

Upvote 0
EarlyMon I use my headphones with my PC too and they work perfectly.;)
My phone recognize the headphones (and the microphone) perfectly and I can be sure of it because I can hear the startup sound with it plus I can have a conversation if I call or I get a call from someone. It just doesn't work with ANY other sound that should come out the phone. But the weirdest thing is that out of the bluetooth headphones any sound works. o_O
Thank you for the Alogcat app suggestion, I will try it and see if I can understand anything...would you like me to post the result here???
Logcat files are going to be too big to post well. Plus, you want to start it, do something that fails, and immediately check the log (you can pause it during inspection) - hard for others to see after the fact.

You're not following what I said about your headphone jack.

When you plug in headphones, a simple hardware switch cuts out most speaker sounds.

What I said was - inspect that element if you can get to it, because it sounds a lot like yours is shorted or broken.

I never questioned if your headphones worked. :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones