• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
Reactions: Geetarman
Upvote 0
To be honest I didn't think the price to bad, it seems to be better equipped than the xoom and a bit cheaper, and with 32gb it's better than the Notion Ink Adam I had been considering.

I think it looks pretty damn good as well, one of the nicest on the market at the minute. My only concern is that it won't get the same backing on XDA etc, not that I'm in any rush to root but it's nice to have the option.

When I get it, sometime after the 15th April, I'll stick up a review.

Upvote 0
People said that about the SGS after Samsung's previous performance. After people realised it wasn't that bad it got loads of support from XDA. Being the cheapest high spec tablet available with Honeycomb lots of people will hopefully purchase it. Especially since there is a slightly cheaper version with only 512MB of ram. If lots of people purchase it, hopefully it'll get some of the limelight on XDA.

Reactions: Geetarman
Upvote 0
my only question is weather it will be updated to ice cream when it comes out? Does it make sense to wait for a tablet natively running ice cream before i jump in? The specks look great, good battery life, HDMI, USB, SD. I don't need 3g as i will just teather with my N1. I really want one, i just don't like the waiting game to update firmware.

Upvote 0
You could be waiting a while mate not sure if there is even an official release date for Icecream?

As honeycomb has only been officially out out in the public on the Xoom it'll likely be a while till we see icecream enabled tabs and phones, I'd expect (and hope!) these new tabs all get the update though.

Would I wait for it before buying one? Depends how soon you want to get your mitts on a tablet. Personally I've been after one since last year waiting on the Notion Ink Adam to sort out the pre-order issues, got fed up with that and the fact it's once great specs became rather ordinary with the next breed of tabs. If the A500 doesn't upgrade to Icecream in the future I'm sure someone will have a ROM for it!

Upvote 0
I preordered A500 from BB online for $450 + tax and shipping. Estimated delivery dates between 4/24-4/29. Acer is also making a bluetooth keyboard, dock and case for the A500. The ASUS Transformer looks good too and is supposed to be priced at $400 when it goes on sale in US. The good thing about the Transformer is the IPS display, however, if you need USB connectivity you will have to buy the keyboard for it.

Upvote 0
This tab looks pretty sweet! I think it is great this tab has great specs and is the cheapest on the market with Honeycomb. Motorola better drop their price soon or the likes of Acer, Samsung, and HTC (if HTC gets their butts in gear with 10" tab and drops the 7") will dominate the Android tab market.

I am very tempted to pre-order mine at Best Buy tonight. I will try and hold at as long as I can. In 2 more months we will see some very nice tabs.

Upvote 0
I've seen some people commenting that the Acer has an IPS display also (like the Asus) and others saying its MVA or TN. I can't find any mention of it anywhere. One of the youtube unboxing videos says the screen is really nice and can be seen from multiple angles. Anybody know for sure what type of display it is? Acer's site doesn't really say much. Hmmmm.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones