• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Adding a shut down animation?

I don't believe there's a shutdown animation that's similar to the boot-up / startup animation...

The text you're seeing from the shut down sequence is from the system processes (APIs) that shut down the running apps, turn off your radio(s), unmount your filesystems, etc.

Modifying even the "shutting down" portion would take (carefully) tweaking the system component that does that and requires root (perhaps there's an Xposed module for this?).

Displaying a shutdown animation after that would not be possible (or at least feasible since some of the resources would no longer be currently available).

Displaying a shutdown animation before that would be time-consuming (and annoying--to me, at least :p).

Upvote 0
I've certainly seen screen off animations (for example, the one that looks like a CRT TV turning off), but it does indeed sound like some devices have a shutdown animation, but it's means/process is not standard or well-known like the startup boot animation is.

This thread here at AF, http://androidforums.com/threads/how-to-change-bootup-shutdown-animations-and-sounds.209330/, does indeed allude to both startup and shutdown animations, but the shutdown portion seems mostly about shutdown "sounds" vs. the animation.

This page does seems to indicate that you include a shutdown animation file by placing it in your /system/media/video/shutdown folder. I'm guessing that you probably need to already have this folder path in your /system partition in order for your device to support that shutdown animation (my N5 does not have this folder path).

This AF thread, http://androidforums.com/threads/boot-shutdown-animations.882945/, indicates that you can create a "shutdownanimation.zip" file (i.e., similar to the bootanimation.zip file) and place it in the same /system/media folder to cause a shutdown animation to play.

Interesting! Thanks for bringing-up this question--I certainly learned something :).

edit: I just copied my bootanimation.zip file to shutdownanimation.zip in my /system/media folder (on my N5 running Android 6.0) and it did NOT get a shutdown animation displayed (just the normal spinner showing "shutting down..."), so it's not a given that any of the above will be supported by your ROM unless there are mechanisms already in-place to display them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jhayzone
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones