• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

After Factory reset, major charge issues

cmonster

Jan 11, 2010
Sorry for the re-post (this is also on the sticky Factory Reset post, but is a pretty bad issue for me and I am hoping to get some help today, please).

So I did this factory re-set last night to try and take care of some pretty bad keyboard lag in the browser and a few other sniggly problems which seem better.

BUT now I have a pretty major issue I have never encountered before. When I plugged into a USB on my macbook last night to charge only, the indicator showed it was charging. When I woke up this morning, it said it was still charging and only showed about 75% full. Huh? I thought. That makes no sense.

Now I am in a conference, typing and tweeting away on my MB, with my Eris plugged into it and it shows the lighting bolt in the battery but doesn't show the green bar animation in that battery. Instead, it shows just above the level where it would get yellow. The red charging LED is on too.

Then, after about 1.5 hours of this, the screen goes dead. I hold the power button and the phone reboots (so it had been off). Once it goes through the process, I get the message to connect my charger. Not a warning of 10 or 15% battery. Just connect now and a big empty red battery on the screen. I plug it back in and back to a lighting bolt in the battery but no moving green bar, a red LED above that and the trackball flashing white.

In other words, now that I've done a factory re-set, I am getting no charge when plugged into my computer. Haven't tried plugging into the wall yet. I will tonight when I get back to my room, but this is not good. Considering the crappy battery life normally, I plug my Eris into my computer when at work in order to keep it full charged all day.

It's also shutting off while plugged into my computer!

Since first posting at 10:30 AM today, It is now saying it is charging and showing the battery filling animation, but it's been "charging" since then and has not completed. Battery level is about 25% the moment I unplug it (Settings->Battery) and up time and awake time are identical.

Can someone please help?
Also, I am running 2.1 using the OTA file that was posted and installed it myself using the instructions from this board. After re-set, I used MyBackUp Pro to re-install apps and settings/Android Home/Dictionary.

Thank you.

If your awake time and uptime are the same then you have an keeping the phone awake and that is killing your battery.

What do you have installed?

Astro
Barcode Scanner
Calculator
Calendar
Call History
Camcorder
Camera
Charlie the Unicorn Soundboard
Clock
Desk Clock
Facebook
Flashlight
Footprints
Gallery (3D NExus)
Gdocs
Gmail
Goggles
Google Sky Map
Handcent SMS
Internet
Listen
Mail
Maps
Market
Music
My Backup Pro
Navigator
NPR News
One Bus Away
Pandora
PDF Viewer
Peep
People
Phone
Photos
QUickoffice
Ringdroid
Seesmic
Settings
Setup
Shazaam
SPL MObile
Star Wars Soundboard
Stocks
StreamFurious Pro
Talk
Teeter
US Constitution
Visual VM
Voice
Voice Dialer
Voice Recorder
Voice Search
Wapedia
Wether
Yelp
YouTube

I don't use all those and none of them are new since the reset. In fact, there are a few I'd backed up that I decided not to restore after restore.

Thanks,
c

Upvote 0
I don't see any that are known problems, but I also see a few that I don't know anything about.

If you go to Settings > Applications > Running Services what do you see and what are the times next to each?

Calendar: 6.2MB
Obex Service 4:06:10 (running)

Touch Input 2.7MB
Touch Input 4:07:28 (running)

Google 7.4 MB
Contacts Sync AdapterSE (words cut off) can't see the ful time but it's running
Gtalk Service 4:07:42 (running) which I never use so could it be this as I didn't know it was up?

Upvote 0
Calendar: 6.2MB
Obex Service 4:06:10 (running)

Touch Input 2.7MB
Touch Input 4:07:28 (running)

Google 7.4 MB
Contacts Sync AdapterSE (words cut off) can't see the ful time but it's running
Gtalk Service 4:07:42 (running) which I never use so could it be this as I didn't know it was up?

Gtalk, touch input and Obex run on everyone's phone. If you kill gtalk, I seem to remember that your gmail will quit for some reason.

The one I would be looking to stop is the contacts sync adapter. I think it is possibly stuck on something and just keeps running. Try stopping it and letting the phone sleep for about 5 or 10 minutes. When you wake it up, look at your awake time and up time again to see if they are different.

You could also try stopping obex if you don't mind you calendar sync stopping.

Upvote 0
The one I would be looking to stop is the contacts sync adapter. I think it is possibly stuck on something and just keeps running. Try stopping it and letting the phone sleep for about 5 or 10 minutes. When you wake it up, look at your awake time and up time again to see if they are different.

Nope. no difference
You could also try stopping obex if you don't mind you calendar sync stopping.

so I tried this. Still no difference.

Thanks for the help. I hope you or someone has more ideas.

Upvote 0
Ok. I think it is stuck on updating a contact. When I look at Settings/Applications/Running Applications/ Google Contacts Sync Adapter is running (after a re-boot). So I stopped it by unchecking Contacts in settings/data and sync/Google/Contacts (where it was also constantly doing the two arrows circling thing, stopping for a split second, then trying to sync again.

I put the phone to sleep and voila, different up and down times!

So, now, How do I fix this? Do I just have to live with it and forevermore manually sync my contacts? Is there a way I can tell if it was stuck on a contact and which one it is? Cause whoever it is ain't important!

Thanks for any further help you can give.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones