• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help After JB update, phone shuts off and restarts when I connect to wifi

Have you tried clearing your cache and/or doing a factory reset?

To clear the cache, turn off your phone, hold power + volume up until the samsung spalsh screen comes up. Then navigate the recovery menu with volume up and down and power to enter. Click clear cache and reboot. If that doesnt help, then try a factory reset. :)

Upvote 0
I had this happen to me as well.

I used the Sprint_D710_GB27_JellyBean_SimpleUpgradeTool.exe from the Samsung website to upgrade.

After doing so, my phone would reboot itself about 2-5 seconds after connecting to Wi-Fi. When it finished rebooting, the Wi-Fi would still be on and occasionally work or it would just reboot itself again.

Clearing the cache did nothing, so I tried a factory reset. I read somewhere that the SD card needed to be re-formatted (the Download app/service was using a lot or battery for me), so I did that and also removed it from the phone.

I can't be sure if the factory reset worked or not, because my battery was also bad (I kinda knew this already and it was a little bloated - would spin on a flat surface)... I went down to the Sprint store and got a new battery. Since then, my phone has been running great! I used Wi-Fi last night to re-download everything from the play store.

I'm going to add the SD car back in the next few days so I can get my music back.

I hope this helps.

Upvote 0
Have you tried clearing your cache and/or doing a factory reset?

To clear the cache, turn off your phone, hold power + volume up until the samsung spalsh screen comes up. Then navigate the recovery menu with volume up and down and power to enter. Click clear cache and reboot. If that doesnt help, then try a factory reset. :)

I tried clearing the cache but that did not work, moot point now since I traded it in to the local sprint store for an early upgrade to the HTC ONE. Much better device that fixes all the problems I had with the s2 (mainly gps locking and sluggishness with the updates).

I bought the s2 the DAY of release back in 2011, so it was time for me to move on. You all will be happier once you do.

Upvote 0
You mention clearing the cache, but not doing a factory reset which has been proven to fix most issues after updating to JB.

Correct, I never bothered with a factory reset, I just stopped connecting to certain types of wifi (some worked fine while others had issues). There were other issues after the update that may or may not have been addressed though.

chrome was insanely sluggish after the update, the stock browser worked fine but not chrome.

gps has always been problematic on my s2, compared to the new htc ONE I got it took forever to lock on, if it got a lock at all.

And then there is a problem no update could fix. wimax vs lte, the latter has essentially cut my latency in half using the net, and many of the total dead spots I went through with wimax are filled with sprints lte, the build outs are more expansive and not stalled out.

I am in a much better place now, even if all the issues that could be fixed were fixed. That said I was an early adopter of the s2, it came out late in the US in 2011, and many people probably got the phone much later than I did and may not have been as far into their contracts as I was. So if you have to stick it out then you have reason to patch up the old ship before going for a better one in almost every way.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones