• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help After Lollipop note 4 notification sound issue?

Blue218

Android Enthusiast
Feb 26, 2010
I just installed the 5.01 Lollipop update on my Verizon Note 4. After the update the Notification sound is the default sound, the whistle. I have changed it to another sound on my SD card and it plays fine, but when the notification comes in it still plays the whistle tone. Any ideas? I have tried changing it in the sounds/notifications menu and it did not take. I have also verified the tone is available on the SD card in a folder called Notifications and is playable. I have done a factory reset and it still is stuck on the whistle as the default notification.

Been chasing this a few days myself . I thought I had it fixed using a fix I'd read that said you go to the SD card and change the folders like "Notifications" to "notifications" etc etc as people said Lollipop doesn't like the capital letter in the files structure.

That worked a day and reverted back it seems, I might have rebooted not sure. Then.... I switched anything that was set to "default" to whatever I actually wanted it to be (just not using "default", even though it already showed the default as being what I wanted and even played what it was supposed to be when I played it, BUT when an actual notification came it whistled.... Ugh... It seems to be working. Trying that for now and we'll see. Using the 'whistle" this seems to be a repeatable issue that people are having. Mostly regarding the system default notification and Google mail..... It was doing it to K9 mail but stopped... Ugh...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones