• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

AI and Sports Officiating

olbriar

Jun 19, 2010
Land of Oz
After my tirade last night about the inconsistency of officiating I went to bed thinking about possible improvements to what is now in place. I'm creating this tread in the NFL but it pertains to all sports and their questionable officiating. There needs to be major changes that don't slow the games down. The games are already slowed by challenges and reviews to the point that they distract from the games. As I was dozing off I considered AI. Why not? It would be lightening fast and be indisputable and non biased. It would remove those judgement calls that are so often blown. It just crossed my mind again so I did a quick Google search. I'm not the first to consider AI as a tool for officiating. Here is a link to my first search hit:

There is likely good and bad with any change. I'm not happy with sorry calls and no calls. Would AI change the flavor of the games for better or worse entertainment?

Don't take offense to this, and it is just my opinion. I have never thought baseball games were too long. I don't think the challenges and or reviews in Football slow the game down too much. Just my opinion.

I think an AI behind the plate Ump might work for balls and strikes.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Don't take offense to this, and it is just my opinion. I have never thought baseball games were too long. I don't think the challenges and or reviews in Football slow the game down too much. Just my opinion.

I think an AI behind the plate Ump might work for balls and strikes.
I agree with you Augie. When I'm watching any game, I'm not anxious to see it end. "They" think the games are running long and a cause of lost viewers... not me. The broadcasts shouldn't be allowed to superimpose a strike zone or something. Sitting at home watching a baseball game makes the ump look like he needs a white cane. I'm sure they are calling it as they see it and usually a battery will adapt to what the ump's strike zone is. It's always been part of the game. I think I would enjoy the calls aligning with the superimposed strike zone though.

Reactions: AugieTN
I would want AI to well versed where to draw the line of infraction or not in football. There is holding that's not called on most every snap. Those ticky tack calls would have to be ignored just as most of them are now. It's the same with pass interference where hand checking is normal. PI is only called or sometimes not called when the defender impedes the receiver's ability to catch the ball unless he is looking to intercept the pass. I agree that football would be one of the more difficult sports for AI.
Basketball is another. All of the bumps and grinding... grabbing in the paint would be difficult for AI. It seems impossible for the refs to get the calls right. Baseball should be easy for AI at least behind the plate. Balls and strikes and if the batter really swung or not should be easy calls. Balks and if the hit was fair or foul should be easy too for AI. It's all interesting and it wouldn't surprise me at all to see it slowly creep into the games. Tennis is using it for in or out calls now.

Reactions: AugieTN
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones