• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Alert tones keep changing since JB update

Shazbat

Jul 17, 2010
Before the JB update on my S2, I had a message alert tone, a WhatsApp alert tone, a ringtone and a default notification tone - all different.

Since the JB update, despite still having all of these set, the predominant tone is the default notification; even though when I go into my message apps, the tones are still showing as set correctly. They only work again after I 're-select' them from the ringtone list.

I also seem to have 2 and 3 of each ringtone, for some reason, and I can't see/find how to delete the extra versions.

Handset: SGII
Model No: GT-I9100P
Android Version: 4.1.2
Baseband: I9100PXXLS8
Kernel: 3.0.31-1246097

I disabled the 'Default ringtone' (which used to indicate calendar appointments, available wifi networks, etc) and this seemed to disable ALL notifications.

I set my 'current ringtone' in my Handcent message app to what I want it to be, but when I go out of it and then go back into the settings, it has automatically switched to the 'default ringtone'. If I set the 'default ringtone' to the one I want for message alerts, I get that tone for everything. Same with my WhatsApp, I just checked it and that had also switched itself to the 'default ringtone' which is different to my preferred alert tone for that app.

It's not exactly life-threatening but very frustrating. Why could I do this before JB and not now? I can't work out whether it's a result of connecting to my PC (as happened before JB occasionally if I disconnected it phone-first, rather than PC-first)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones